Bengals Interviewing Gabbert, Newton, Others

HoosierCat

My favorite QB option right now might be Christian Ponder.

They say he is probably the best WCO QB in the draft. He dosnt have the big arm, but he is accurate. Im curious if the Bengals are as interested in him, as Reedy or Hobson is.

Maybe I'm greedy but I want the big arm too. Sure accuracy is #1 on the list but how good would Aaron Rodgers be without that ability to zip the ball into tight coverage?

Although I like Mallett it doesn't sound like he's a fit for Gruden's offense because of his lack of mobility. It sounds like Gruden does want a QB with feet

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite QB option right now might be Christian Ponder.

They say he is probably the best WCO QB in the draft. He dosnt have the big arm, but he is accurate. Im curious if the Bengals are as interested in him, as Reedy or Hobson is.

Maybe I'm greedy but I want the big arm too. Sure accuracy is #1 on the list but how good would Aaron Rodgers be without that ability to zip the ball into tight coverage?

Although I like Mallett it doesn't sound like he's a fit for Gruden's offense because of his lack of mobility. It sounds like Gruden does want a QB with feet

Unfortunately an Aaron Rodgers type is not available this year. Montana, Anderson did not have "big arms". Honestly, at this point, I'm more interested in how the QB can best fit the system being run and if he can be a leader.

Todd McShay was really impressed with Ponder. He said other than Mallett, he was by far the most accurate and consistent thrower at the combine. Also, he's one of the most intelligent QBs in the country.

McShay pointed out that he had surgery on his elbow shortly before the Senior bowl, and his arm strength is significantly better than what he was able to display at that time.

I'd like to see some film on him. I like that he's accurate... but I want to know if he's a good decision maker. (That's my biggest problem with Mallett.)

Well kaeper has great accuracy. On the short to medium.stuff. he just needs to improve on his deep ball it was also quotes on pft that he had the best throwing motion. Velocity, etc ...he has the power for the deep ball ala rosters just has to work on aiming it

I just don't want to use a 2nd round pick on a guy that is such a project. Those kinds of picks should be for later rounds. If he's there in the 3rd or 4th I'd be fine with it... but you should be getting players that will be starting in a year or two in with a pick that early.

While watching the QB's yesterday, Ponder was the one that showed the most comfort and looked natural due to him being one of the few that actually played in a pro style offense in college and was use to taking snaps under center. He looked fluid and sharp with his throws. Outside of Mallett, he was the only one that I was left thinking how good he looked throwing the ball.

I don't want Mallett, but for anyone watching, that throw he made to AJ Green on the long ball had me wide-eyed...

No doubt Mallet was the best looking QB out there yesterday, but i just dont see him being a Gruden guy. He is more for the down field passing like Brat used to run.

Ponder looked great also, he has some feet issues, but nothing that cant be fixed. If they can get back to there running game like they had, then Ponder might be the best choice in the 2nd round. Once again im not really sold on any of these QBs, but they are going to select one so take the one that makes the best sense, and the one that can probably start right away.

I still would like a free agent QB to come in here for a year or two till the guy they draft is ready.

No doubt Mallet was the best looking QB out there yesterday, but i just dont see him being a Gruden guy. He is more for the down field passing like Brat used to run.

Ponder looked great also, he has some feet issues, but nothing that cant be fixed. If they can get back to there running game like they had, then Ponder might be the best choice in the 2nd round. Once again im not really sold on any of these QBs, but they are going to select one so take the one that makes the best sense, and the one that can probably start right away.

I still would like a free agent QB to come in here for a year or two till the guy they draft is ready.

I thought Kaepernick looked very good and he'll be there from r3 on.

With this being the most important draft in recent memory, we cannot afford to take risks. Granted the draft is nothing but a risk there are some sure things. With no FA, this is the only way to add to your team. You need guys who are ready to step in and contribute right away. Ponder to me is as sure as it gets in this draft. He is a gamer who could lead right away.

Im very high on Kapernick also, my only concern with him is he came from the spread offense just like Newton, and Gabbert. If they take a QB and needs to start this year, then Kapernick i dont think can be that guy. If they bring in a free agent vet and let Kapernick learn then who knows. I still like Ponder and i think he will be a great QB for this system that Gruden will run.

If not then get a free agent, and wait for next years draft which looks like a pretty good class of QBs coming out.

Here's my only thing with taking a QB and why Ponder (who I wouldn't really like otherwise) is a good option.

None of the QB's appears to be a starter this season, but if you want one that can, get the guy that fits what it is you are doing.

Ponder has taken the majority of his college snaps under center and comes from a pro style offense.

The others played in a shotgun, spread offense.

So while I'm not enamored with Ponder in the grand scheme of things, if we have to thrown him in there, he's probably the most ready to do what it is Gruden is trying to implement. He's not the best QB, most athletic, or even possess the most upside, but he simply would fit for the Bengals.

If we can get him at the top of the 2nd, I would have less issue.

AJ in the first and Ponder in the second might be the best choice for this team.

I want defense i would love a Patrick Peterson, or a D-line guys, but i worry without a QB whoever becomes that guy needs as many weapons as he can get. AJ Green is a great WR, and feel he can be the number 1, and will make expandable. With Green,Simpson,Caldwell,Shipley,Gresham, that will give this team young talented WR for the next QB to work with.

If they can get back to running the ball, and actully run screen plays, and do short passes i think this offense will be ok. If Zimmer can get this defense back to the way they were in 09, with them controling the clock you never know what could happen. As far as QBs go Ponder to me is the best option, unless they can get a good free agent.

Im very high on Kapernick also, my only concern with him is he came from the spread offense just like Newton, and Gabbert. If they take a QB and needs to start this year, then Kapernick i dont think can be that guy. If they bring in a free agent vet and let Kapernick learn then who knows. I still like Ponder and i think he will be a great QB for this system that Gruden will run.

If not then get a free agent, and wait for next years draft which looks like a pretty good class of QBs coming out.

I think if Kaepernick were there in the second, he would be a better choice than Ponder, and while I agree it would be better to let the guy learn for a year, he could pick up Gruden's system FAR faster than the crap system that Brat ran. Keep in mind they will all be learning a new system, so starting fresh with Gruden could be a good thing. Also, while Kaepernick came from a spread system, the west coast system uses the shotgun a ton, so I am not so concerned about that. He can haul ass, so there is quite a bit to be excited about.

Julio Jones put on a physical display at the combine showing he is a grown man. He played injured a bit, so his toughness could be a real asset in the AFCN. Green/Jones in r1, and I think Kaepernick would be an excellent pick in r2, even if it is a minor reach. I'd rather reach for Kaepernick than have to settle for Ponder in r4.

Another guy to look at is Locker. He is being overlooked, and could be a sleeper in r3 or so. Locker is a real tough guy who can fling it. Get him settled in and he could be a guy like Aaron Rogers.

Quite a few QB options. I really go back and forth on Cam. Man, he could come out and be Vick and Brady combined, or he could be the next Vince Young, or at the worst Jamarcus Russell. God, I have serious anxiety about how he could turn out.

As for possibly getting a guy like Peterson or one of the DE's, improving the coverage (and depth) and pass rush could really take the pressure off the offense.

Well, thats enough blabber for one night.

Veteran free agent seems like the way to go.

That's the way I've always seen it.

In fact, the only Palmer I'd attempt to replace in this draft is RunPee.

Who's the vet FA QB available? Even then, having a vet learn a new offense in a short camp - with no OTAs - will be challenging as well.

Unless we're operating under the assumption that 2011 is DOA for the Bengals, and the goal is to make it to 2012. Which is pretty much the case.

Regarding wideouts the early word had Julio Jones eating AJ Green's lunch...

Really? Should I assume Jones was seen eating a sandwich with his feet?

Or wasn't that Julio Jones who when running the gauntlet prompted Sterling Sharpe to utter..."Lazy hands" after three straight throws. And of course there's the proverbial rub because most of the combine drills are track events that feature footwork and running skills, neatly matching what Jones does best. Meanwhile, what AJ Green does best is catch the football.

BTW, Sharp later described AJ Green "as advertised" and claimed he was the only offensive prospect in the entire draft actually worthy of a top ten pick. Furthermore, he claimed Julio Jones wasn't even worthy of a 1st round pick, an opinion later echoed by Brian Billick. Finally, Mike Mayoch attempted to cool some of the Julio Jones hype by stating flatly that Green is a far better WR than Jones, and nothing Julio accomplished at the combine will change that.

To the AJ Green fans:

Are you in favor of drafting him even if Chad is not cut? I'd like to think Chad will not play another game in Bengal stripes regardless, but with this team you never know. What if some other WR gets cut in order to make room for Green?

Veteran free agent seems like the way to go.

That's the way I've always seen it.

In fact, the only Palmer I'd attempt to replace in this draft is RunPee.

Who's the vet FA QB available? Even then, having a vet learn a new offense in a short camp - with no OTAs - will be challenging as well.

But getting any veteran QB up to speed will be less of a challenge than getting any rookie ready to play, right? In fact, if you eliminate QB from the #4 overall pick discussion you're almost resigned to drafting a QB who won't be ready for at least a year under the best case scenario.

Unless we're operating under the assumption that 2011 is DOA for the Bengals, and the goal is to make it to 2012. Which is pretty much the case.

Yes, it is. IMHO this team is currently trying to determine how seriously to take Palmer's threat and how badly it needs to blow up last years team. Sadly, I'm guessing this years team has already blown up/crumbled and no attempt to rebuild a competitive team immediately is possible.

To the AJ Green fans:

Are you in favor of drafting him even if Chad is not cut? I'd like to think Chad will not play another game in Bengal stripes regardless, but with this team you never know. What if some other WR gets cut in order to make room for Green?

Speaking only for myself, I envision absolutely no scenario where AJ Green is drafted and Chad is kept.

None.

And there's the rub again because I've said on numerous occasions that I suspect anyone who casually dismisses the thought of drafting AJ Green at #4 will only do so if they've still got Chad in their pocket.

To the AJ Green fans:

Yes because they could always cut Chad Mid Season if they think he's expendable...

1.)Jordan Shipley 2.)Andre Caldwell 3.)Jerome Simpson 4.)Rookie WR(Green?) 5.)Does Cosby stick around another season 6.)Chad or low drafted rookie :P