Bengals Interviewing Gabbert, Newton, Others

HoosierCat

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want a druggie (or if he's not - or someone unwilling to confront drug rumors)

I dont want a showboating egomaniac

No to both the above QBs

So far - and it is early still - I like Jake Locker (http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/QB/Jake-Locker.php) as the QB pick (and I am NOT talking about pick 4)

Laugh all you want, tell me how bad he looked in the Senior Bowl, etc etc

What I like about this guy is his maturity and the fact that he thrived without a great cast around him - both of which are what he'll need to succeed as Bengal. I think he will be able to endure being a Bengal, all the lean years -- and to me, thats probably the most important thing.

Aside from those to key items:

--he played in a pro style offense

--has all the intangibles, including work ethic, smarts, and leadership

--plays with pain

--has excellent athleticism

--has good arm strength, can make all the throws

--extends plays with his legs

My main worry is his durability, and so I want this guy surrounded by the finest O-line that can be assembled. Gimme a lineman (or three), toss the Flesh Zeppelin

Newton's a competitor, a leader and a finisher.

Damn straight bro.

Yep. In the mold of Vince Young... but less clutch in the championship.

So you say. I respectfully disagree.

What's to disagree with? I'm not saying it's good or bad... just an observation. Many of the things said about Cam were said of Vince Young.

Young was a physical freak who was a competitor, a leader, had outstanding composure, and was a winner.

Just because Vince hasn't been an outright success doesn't mean Cam won't. I'm just saying there's no reason to believe he somehow has more of a competitive nature, leadership, or ability to win than Vince did.

In other words, the NFL is a different animal than college, and just because he was successful at Auburn doesn't mean he will be so in the NFL. That being the case, I'd prefer a safer option with the #4 pick, thank you.

I don't want a druggie (or if he's not - or someone unwilling to confront drug rumors)

I dont want a showboating egomaniac

No to both the above QBs

So far - and it is early still - I like Jake Locker (http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/QB/Jake-Locker.php) as the QB pick (and I am NOT talking about pick 4)

Well the <3 for locker has died some I'd still welcome him in the 2nd round.

That being the case, I'd prefer a safer option with the #4 pick, thank you.

Safe like what shanks? A position player while at QB we sit in the hands LeFeavour and Jordan Palmer? I'm just not good with that.

Safe like what shanks? A position player while at QB we sit in the hands LeFeavour and Jordan Palmer? I'm just not good with that.

Yeah... because Klingler and Akili didn't set the Bengals back at all.

Just because QB is a need doesn't mean it must be the #4 overall pick.

Yeah... because Klingler and Akili didn't set the Bengals back at all.

Just because QB is a need doesn't mean it must be the #4 overall pick.

Okay, I'll give you that. Where do we address the QB situation? Free agency? I don't see a lot out there. Picks #2 or #3 or later? Probably where we're going to end up, and IMHO I feel it's a mistake, but that's just me man.

True but any rookie will be just like LeFeavour, they are all unproven QBs. LeFeavour was a great college QB, just as good as some the ones coming out now, to me theres not much difference. Will be interesting to see what happens with this #4 pick they can go in alot of directions, and i wont complain

True but any rookie will be just like LeFeavour

Doubtful for one most will have higher ceiling hence why they won't be a 6th rnd pick,Also people seem down on idea of Rookie QB but you look at successful rookie QB's (Big Ben,Ryan,Flaco and Bradford they all have powerful running games and most had good defenses which hopefully we'll supply to who ever our QB is.)

There simply aren't many QB coming out this draft that make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

By not many, I mean NONE.

Just because a QB or 2 are looked upon as the best of the class doesn't mean they will succeed at the next level.

They are simply all there is to offer. In a group of turds, one stands alone as the biggest and bestest (yes bestest) turd of them all.

That's not to say it wouldn't be intriguing to see Newton run Gruden's west coast offense, but it's not near the comfort level I would like it to be with the #4 pick. A second round guy ?? I guess, but how much better will he be than what we have in LeFevour ?? Say what you want about LeFevour being a 6th round pick, but he had great college career as well, but played on a sh*tty team.

How come some are willing to say if Locker had a better supporting cast, he would have gone higher, but LeFevour doesn't garner the same thought process ?? Look at his stats. Locker flat out looked poor last season. Athletic ?? Sure, but again, no warm fuzzy.

Go back and watch what LeFevour did in college it was just as good as any of these QBs coming out. Nobody wants him to QB because he was a 6th round pick, but so was Tom Brady. Im not comparing him to Tom of course, but just because he wasnt a high round pick does not mean he is not good. I like LeFevour, i like what he did on a bad team in college, and i want to see what he can do in the NFL. I want to see what he can do if Gruden can teach him his offense.

Go back and watch what LeFevour did in college it was just as good as any of these QBs coming out.

I'm sorry, but IMO he doesn't have half of the physical skills Newton has. He played in a weak college division while Cam played in the best. We got Dan after the freaking Bears s**t canned him. I'd really prefer my starting QB not come from a day of desperation dumpster diving.

I really dont think Newton will be there anyways, i think the Bills will take him. Then what draft Gabbert, i really dont like Gabbert though either. I would like to see them bring in a vet, i would like McNabb a proven winner in this league, who can run the WCO that Gruden is bringing. I would like Lefevour to learn behind him, or if they are really into taking a QB take one in the late rounds somebody like Pat Devlin, and let them learn. I really do not want to see a Cam Newton come here and start from the begining that could be some trouble.

I dont hate Cam Newton, i like his leadership, he has a great arm, but he does scare me a bit. I could see him being great, but i can also see him being a bust. I dont like all the red flags on him, but if they do there homework and take him because Gruden thinks he can be the next big thing, then ill go with it.

That's not to say it wouldn't be intriguing to see Newton run Gruden's west coast offense,

Well, if they draft Newton or Gabbert, you may not. Here's Gruden:

"These spread offenses are zone reads and all this stuff," Gruden said. "You take a guy like Newton and if you do go that route you should implement some of that into your game. We would have to adjust our game to fit some of these guys coming out strengths. The other guys like Gabbert are spread guys. You don’t see the real throws and progressions and concepts that you do on Sunday."

As to Dan "Dr. Johnny" LeFevour (who I will hereafter refer to as "Booger"), like him or not I would have to say he's the default starter if the CBA thing drags out into September like everyone seems to expect.

Carson's out. Jordan IIRC is a FA (restricted I believe, not that that matters much this year). So Booger is the only guy actually under contract. And even if they do draft a QB in April, they won't be able to do anything with him absent a CBA. So if the Bengals' offensive players organize any activities on their own, Booger is the only guy to work with.

To sum up: yup, the Bengals are screwed.

I really dont think Newton will be there anyways, i think the Bills will take him.

High probability that could happen.

Then what draft Gabbert

Please God no!

I dont hate Cam Newton, i like his leadership, he has a great arm, but he does scare me a bit. I could see him being great, but i can also see him being a bust.

Few draft picks come without the risk of busting.

Go back and watch what LeFevour did in college it was just as good as any of these QBs coming out.

I'm sorry, but IMO he doesn't have half of the physical skills Newton has. He played in a weak college division while Cam played in the best. We got Dan after the freaking Bears s**t canned him. I'd really prefer my starting QB not come from a day of desperation dumpster diving.

I dont want to hand the team over to a player that has only one year of experience. Does not show great ability to read past his primary target and refers to himself in the third person.

I also kept track of Dr. Fever when he was playing in the MAC (recently a cradle of NFL quality QB's). He has all the skills needed to be a very good NFL QB. I would much rather see the Bengals solidify both lines and pick up a S and WR in the first four rounds. If they grab a QB, I think Dalton or Kearpermick(sp) would be better options in later rounds than either Gabbert or Newton at #4.

I'm sorry, but IMO he [LeFevour] doesn't have half of the physical skills Newton has. He played in a weak college division while Cam played in the best. We got Dan after the freaking Bears s**t canned him. I'd really prefer my starting QB not come from a day of desperation dumpster diving.

All true

Also true: he is not the egomaniac showboat that Newton is. I have legitimate worries about how Newton will handle losing, since he seems to think he is the second coming.

Also true: Kurt Warner was pulled in from the Arena league. He worked out pretty well. Exceptions exist, ability should be evaluated. Hopefully he will be given a chance to show what he can (or cannot) do

Watching Cam right now at the combine, he looks more like a project then an NFL ready QB. His throws are not very accurate, he has the throwing power, but right now not the accuracy. Will they take Cam at #4 knowing hes not ready to be a starter???

Edit, he can throw the deep ball, pretty good, but has trouble with the out routes. Who knows soemthings he looks good others he looks like he needs alot of work. If thats the case who does Cam sit behind to learn then????

I'm sorry, but IMO he [LeFevour] doesn't have half of the physical skills Newton has. He played in a weak college division while Cam played in the best. We got Dan after the freaking Bears s**t canned him. I'd really prefer my starting QB not come from a day of desperation dumpster diving.

All true

Also true: he is not the egomaniac showboat that Newton is. I have legitimate worries about how Newton will handle losing, since he seems to think he is the second coming.

Also true: Kurt Warner was pulled in from the Arena league. He worked out pretty well. Exceptions exist, ability should be evaluated. Hopefully he will be given a chance to show what he can (or cannot) do

Hey, If LeFeavour can pull a feather out of his ass and actually become an adequate NFL QB, I'm all for it. I mean we got the guy on the cheap.