Bengals Interviewing Gabbert, Newton, Others

HoosierCat

Figured this was worthy of breaking out. Per the latest tweets from the team and Joe Reedy, the Bengals are talking to Newton, Gabbert and "other juniors" today.

Also, for those of you who have always wondered what the "character threshold" for the Cincinnati Bengals is, we may have an answer.

QB coach Ken Zampese says Cam Newton's off-field stuff won't matter much. "It's not like he was just doing crack a week ago"

So there ya go, future NFLers: don't do crack a week before the combine and you're good to go in stripes! :sure:

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bengals talking to any QB at the combine should be far from surprising and I don't view it as an indicator of anything.

Carson or not, the Bengals could certainly stand to upgrade the backup spot. Jordan isn't anything special and while I like LeFevour, he's an unknown.

LeFevour is just as unknown as these QBs are, and im not suprised either that they are talking to them, i just hope they dont choose one. If they do, i really hope they do there homework, but it sounds like they are moving on like Carson is not going to be here, so they will have to do something.

Marvin also said:

"I know my boss and owner is not going to trade him, so we just have to move forward."

Please do. In fact, you'd be smart to prepare for the coming season in exactly the same manner that Pittsburgh just prepared for Ben Roethlisberger's suspension. For example, simply pretend your starting QB has a head injury or something and plan and adjust accordingly.

Run Pee tell dat.

Lewis won’t speculate on Palmer’s Bengals future

By Frank Tadych |

Bengals, NFL Total Access

INDIANAPOLIS — As far as Bengals coach Marvin Lewis is concerned, he’s moving forward under the impression that disgruntled veteran QB Carson Palmer will not be traded.

But the reality of what that means for the Bengals, and whether or not they can proceed expecting Palmer to be a part of the team, has yet to be determined following the QB’s offseason trade demand and owner Mike Brown‘s rejection of it.

“I think we just have to move forward in saying (that) I know that my boss and owner is not going to trade (Palmer), so we have to move forward and go forward with what he said,” Lewis said Friday during an interview with NFL Network at the NFL Scouting Combine. “That kind of puts some closure in my mind to things that we’re going to go forward and put the team together based on that. We have to get better at the quarterback spot, we have to get better at a number of positions on offense.”

Lewis maintained he can only “go by what I know and what I’ve been told” about Palmer’s future with the team, an apparent acknowledgment of the possibility that the QB would choose to retire instead of return to the Bengals. But the coach is staying out of the speculation game.

“I don’t know what will happen with Carson in the future with that,” Lewis said. “I don’t want to spend a lot of time speculating on it. I’m just going to let it go. Everything has been said, I’ve said nothing about it. Mike and Carson have said their deal, and we’ll go forward.”

It could very well be that the Bengals are proceeding as if Palmer won’t return. The Bengals own the No. 4 overall pick in April’s draft and could see both of the consensus top QBs — Blaine Gabbert and Cam Newton – still available. Lewis told me that none of the current situation surrounding Palmer’s future changes the team’s draft strategy.

“I don’t think it changes what we were thinking about already in making the team better, one way or the other,” Lewis said. “So we’re going to evaluate that. I thought it was a position, coming into this season, where we were and where Carson was in his career, that you want to start grooming (another player). Last year, we looked at possibly adding a quarterback and made the changes we made last year at two other spots. So, it doesn’t change it one way or the other.”

It all comes across as an elaborate tap dance by Lewis, who also didn’t dismiss the suggestion that adding a veteran QB also was a possibility.

“We’ll see what happens,” he said.

I am no longer interested in Cam Newton in any round or even as a UDCFA after I read the following

The Heisman Trophy winner told Sports Illustrated's Peter King this week that he sees himself "not only as a football player, but an entertainer and icon."

No, no thank you, no more Chads.

Had my fill and then some.

No more.

I am no longer interested in Cam Newton in any round or even as a UDCFA after I read the following

The Heisman Trophy winner told Sports Illustrated's Peter King this week that he sees himself "not only as a football player, but an entertainer and icon."

No more.

Don't let Billy see this.

No more.

Don't let Billy see this.

Cam's the man! Solid gold at #4! And FWIW ALL NFL players are entertainers. If they weren't entertaining to watch, they wouldn't be playing a sport for millions of dollars. Chad is an actor. There's a difference.

Please do. In fact, you'd be smart to prepare for the coming season in exactly the same manner that Pittsburgh just prepared for Ben Roethlisberger's suspension. For example, simply pretend your starting QB has a head injury or something and plan and adjust accordingly.

No problem. Been doing that with the owner for 20 years.

Various tidbits from the Hobsoniator tonight:

The Bengals are also delving into Gabbert and Arkansas' Ryan Mallett to see if they have the kind of value to usher in a new era. Friday's buzz belonged to Newton.

Lewis clearly is uncomfortable with Newton's vow to be an entertainer and icon. He is just as clearly tired of Ochocinco's same stated aim and how his team has been dismissed as some kind of vaudeville act.

Hello, Ryan. If you'd rather not be a Bengal, I would suggest you get your ass out on the streets of Indianapolis and score some crack right now...

While many believe The Ocho has caught his last pass as a Bengal, on Thursday Lewis continued to say "he's got another year on his contract," and contined to dig him that he wants more from the club's all-time leading receiver.

I'm telling you all right now they could draft 7 straight WRs in April and Chad will still be on the roster.

If the Bengals lose Dhani Jones to free agency, they're poised to move Rey Maualuga to middle linebacker.

Forget Von Miller.

They'll delve into free agency (whenever it is) to find some offensive linemen, safeties and tight ends.

:facepalm:

The Bengals are not ready to move out veteran defensive ends Robert Geathers and Antwan Odom until Carlos Dunlap and Michael Johnson prove they can play as consistently as they did late in the year.

Forget Bowers.

Lewis clearly is uncomfortable with Newton's vow to be an entertainer and icon. He is just as clearly tired of Ochocinco's same stated aim and how his team has been dismissed as some kind of vaudeville act.

That's about the only sane revelation that came from the story.

Other than that, we've gleaned that next year's team will has a good chance of having a prisoner at starting QB, a druggie as apprentice QB (unless the prisoner pulls a Shawshank), the usual arsehole blocking up-and-coming WRs, a statue at MLB (really, who's signing Dhani to start?), an MLB playing out of position at SLB, geezers at DE blocking young talent - on a rebulding team, no less - and scraps from a non-existent FA starting at key positions like S and OL.

Yessiree, *that* sounds like a plan. If the team's not going to compete, at least blow it up and get rid of middling (or worse) old guys and let the young guys play.

Hello, Ryan. If you'd rather not be a Bengal, I would suggest you get your ass out on the streets of Indianapolis and score some crack right now...

Maybe *that* was his plan all along. If one credits the rumors, that guy makes Marion Berry look like an amateur.

I'm going to go ahead and FULLY disagree about Marvin's comfort zone when it comes to Newton. Here's why...

If anyone watch the combine coverage yesterday, they had Marvin on live and asked him all kinds of questions. This is where the part about last season being his fault came from. Anyway, when he talked about things that went wrong, Chad and TO, or anything else the team was considering doing with Carson, he wasn't real engaged, didn't look at the analysts and was generally disinterested.

THEN, the question came about the team moving on from Carson and the QB's he gets to interview and you would have thought he was a school kid when he started talking about Newton. His eyes lit up, he started speaking at a quicker rate, looked each analyst in the eye and was VERY engaging. He mentioned his "desire" to play, "what he brings in leadership", his "intangibles", and continued on as if he was going on his first date with a really hot chick. Heck he even had the analysts saying maybe the Bengals won't be looking at Green after what he said.

It looked and sounded NOTHING ANYWHERE near uncomfortable. I call smokescreen and will say if they are truly looking at any QB, I hope they shut the f*ck up about it or Buffalo's #3 spot becomes the one teams will look to trade to not ours.

IF they truly want Newton, I see another WR in the 2nd as well. AGAIN, it's not what I want, only what I have seen and heard.

Interpret how you may...

you can't bring anybody with Chad II tendencies around as long as Chad I is around.

If they want Newton, they gotta get rid of Chad.

I do want them to get rid of Chad, and I think I have been pretty clear on that

However

Chad I did not need another character like him to start him down his 'Dancin with the Manwhore' path.

Neither will Chad II

Just say no to Chad II, regardless of whether Chad I is here or not

you can't bring anybody with Chad II tendencies around as long as Chad I is around.

If they want Newton, they gotta get rid of Chad.

I do want them to get rid of Chad, and I think I have been pretty clear on that

However

Chad I did not need another character like him to start him down his 'Dancin with the Manwhore' path.

Neither will Chad II

Just say no to Chad II, regardless of whether Chad I is here or not

Despite Newton's horrifying and phenomenally stupid statement to King, there is a huge difference. Newton's a competitor, a leader and a finisher. Chad is none of those things.

Gruden seeks intangibles in QB

By GEOFF HOBSON

Posted 23 minutes ago

* a

* a

INDIANAPOLIS _ Auburn Heisman Trophy winner Cam Newton won the first showdown of the NFL scouting combine's top quarterback prospects Saturday in dueling news conferences with Arkansas' Ryan Mallett.

The competition continues Saturday night in interviews with the teams, when the Bengals are one of the teams scheduled to meet with them, before Sunday's workout at Lucas Oil Stadium.

The smooth, well-rehearsed Newton read from a statement in which he backed off from last week's comments that he wanted to be an entertainer as well as an icon. Meanwhile, in what one media member described as a "train wreck," reports said Mallett refused to address questions about his alleged drug use several times before abruptly ending the session.

Bengals new offensive coordinator Jay Gruden is soaking it all in as the Bengals mull starting his tenure by drafting a franchise quarterback at No. 4 in the wake of Carson Palmer's trade request/plea/demand. He's looking at the intangibles first.

"I want to know if he can lead our team," Gruden said. "I want a bright guy in the huddle. I want a guy that can speak up and not mumble and a guy that guys can rally around….You have to have people believe in you. That's the most important thing."

:> I'll stick by who ever Gruden Picks :>