Confirmed: Jay Gruden Hired

Kazkal

Prediction: 2011 shows that there's a lot more talent on offense than was apparent last year, and that will be the final indictment of the reign of one Robert Bratkowski. I bet he doesn't work in the NFL again.

Could be, but my gut tells me there will be enough changes that an apples-to-apples comparison will be hard to make. I do think the offense will be better, both because it can't be much worse, and because Gruden appears to have a knack for making lemons out of lemonade. If he can take the NFL's leftovers and create championship teams in the UFL and AFL, that's the kind of guy I want in Cincy given the organization's bottom-feeding habits.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prediction: 2011 shows that there's a lot more talent on offense than was apparent last year, and that will be the final indictment of the reign of one Robert Bratkowski. I bet he doesn't work in the NFL again.

Could be, but my gut tells me there will be enough changes that an apples-to-apples comparison will be hard to make. I do think the offense will be better, both because it can't be much worse, and because Gruden appears to have a knack for making lemons out of lemonade. If he can take the NFL's leftovers and create championship teams in the UFL and AFL, that's the kind of guy I want in Cincy given the organization's bottom-feeding habits.

I agree this is such a postitive hire. He has been coaching for 24 years, and has been to the playoffs 20 times and won 7 division titles. I dont care what league your in, Gruden is a winner.

I was listening to Lance yesterday, and i have never heard him so excited about a coach coming here. He said it best when he said Gruden is young, and a guy with a fresh mind. Lance also was saying he heard he is a great teacher, and we all know a bunch of guys here need teaching. Love this move!!!

The hidden benefit is his supposed eye for talent. It's just too bad he couldn't have gone to the Senior Bowl with the rest of the staff.

The hidden benefit is his supposed eye for talent. It's just too bad he couldn't have gone to the Senior Bowl with the rest of the staff.

He didnt coach with the team at the senior bowl, but he did mention that he was there scouting players. So at least he was there looking at players for the draft.

i like the move it's long over due. i like that what i am hearing about how jay designs his offense to the players strengths. rather than forcing some one to play in a system that does not work for them. the fact that he has been very successful in his career regardless of what level. kinda reminds me of when ohio state hired tressel. a guy from a lesser level of football, but very successful in what he did. tressels resume is pretty impressive what he has accomplished so far and still not done.

I hope he's smarter than he looks.

My wife even commented about how lost he looked at the podium.

Actually, I think her word was "clueless" looking.

I would have to think it's a bit overwhelming for him.

I didn't get clueless when he talked,He did seem bit comfortable at times with body language seem to notice alot in peoples press conference's their eyes constantly dart back and forth and do little things that just make them seem uneasy.

That's an interesting perspective. I've only heard Gruden speak so I can't judge his mannerisms but by the same token I'm not misled by them. Instead, all I can do is focus on the words being said and to that end the single most important thing I've heard Gruden claim is that they'll win between the tackles. (Praise Jeebus!)

However, the one thing that did stand out from the earlier press conference is Gruden's energy when speaking. He's amped.

I didn't get clueless when he talked,He did seem bit comfortable at times with body language seem to notice alot in peoples press conference's their eyes constantly dart back and forth and do little things that just make them seem uneasy.

Yea i dont think he looked clueless,and i dont think it to overwhelming for him. Its not like this is his first coaching job, he has been very successful everywhere he has went. I liked the fact where he said "They will adjust during games" When was the last time Brat adjusted during a game???

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting coda from Dan Pompei...

Jay Gruden is the Bengals’ new offensive coordinator, but Brad Childress probably would have been if owner Mike Brown had offered Childress more freedom. Part of the deal was whoever took the job was going to have to work with the existing assistant coaches, so it was going to be difficult to completely implement a new offensive system.

/>http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-5059.html

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

At some point we will have a decision to make. Make Gruden head coach or lose him. Same deal with Zimmer.

Way to early to be talking head coach for Gruden, it looks to me like Zimmer might not want to be a head coach. I think he is happy as a D-Cordinator and he knows it.

At some point we will have a decision to make. Make Gruden head coach or lose him. Same deal with Zimmer.

Way to early to be talking head coach for Gruden, it looks to me like Zimmer might not want to be a head coach. I think he is happy as a D-Cordinator and he knows it.

Gruden has been a successful head coach, he's the more experienced candidate in that role.

In my opinion, Ohio State should take a serious run at Gruden as their new Head Coach.

Gruden has been a successful head coach, he's the more experienced candidate in that role.

In my opinion, Ohio State should take a serious run at Gruden as their new Head Coach.

They must grow some good weed up there in Central Ohio, do they grow it in the middle of their tomato patches in Reynoldsburg? Come on man you got to be high to think OSU would even give Gruden a chance to be head coach. The Buckeyes are all about OSU and Ohio bred coaches.

On a side note, back when I was in school at OSU, Fickell and Vrabel were there and they had an apartment together. They ran around like Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, and they used to grow a pot plant in their apartment. What made this even more funny is that Fickell would do an anti-drug add for the Big Ten that aired on tv.

:lmao:

They must grow some good weed up there in Central Ohio, do they grow it in the middle of their tomato patches in Reynoldsburg? Come on man you got to be high to think OSU would even give Gruden a chance to be head coach. The Buckeyes are all about OSU and Ohio bred coaches.

On a side note, back when I was in school at OSU, Fickell and Vrabel were there and they had an apartment together. They ran around like Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, and they used to grow a pot plant in their apartment. What made this even more funny is that Fickell would do an anti-drug add for the Big Ten that aired on tv.

:lmao:

First, Gene Smith should be fired. Then the next guy can be too stupid to follow any unwritten protocol, and he can hire Gruden. I think Gruden would be a great college coach. As a Bengals fan, I want him to stay put.

As a Buckeye fan, I have a bad feeling about this next hire.

Here is a link to a good site with a list of possible Head Coaching candidates for 2012. I believe Bo Pelini is probably the best guy unless the Buckeyes can talk Urban Meyer out of retirement.

Head Coaching candidates

pass on bo. meyer i don't think it would take much more than a offer. rumor is meyer's chomping at the bit to get that job. don't sell gruden short, tressel was not a big time coach when osu hired him. one thing is for sure osu is going to hire who they feel fits best. not necessary a big name.

Here is a link to a good site with a list of possible Head Coaching candidates for 2012. I believe Bo Pelini is probably the best guy unless the Buckeyes can talk Urban Meyer out of retirement.

Head Coaching candidates

pass on bo. meyer i don't think it would take much more than a offer. rumor is meyer's chomping at the bit to get that job. don't sell gruden short, tressel was not a big time coach when osu hired him. one thing is for sure osu is going to hire who they feel fits best. not necessary a big name.

Come on if you lived in Ohio before Tressel was hired you knew who he was. He bled Ohio from the time he was born. He was born in Ohio, went to college in Ohio, and coached in Ohio his entire life except a stint with Syracuse. He made Youngstown St. a nationally known college in AA with 4 National Championships.

Head Coaching candidates

Come on if you lived in Ohio before Tressel was hired you knew who he was. He bled Ohio from the time he was born. He was born in Ohio, went to college in Ohio, and coached in Ohio his entire life except a stint with Syracuse. He made Youngstown St. a nationally known college in AA with 4 National Championships.

honestly i knew very little about tressel until he became a candidate for the job. in fact tress was not even the front runner for the job. every one thought that glen mason was going to get he job. in fact glen was crushed when osu announced tressel as the coach. glen though for sure the job was his. then add that chris spielman, jon gruden, mike bellotti, were also in the running for the job. three people who most fan though would get the job over tressel. matter of fact archie griffin even made it known. tressel was not his guy that archie wanted mason.

/>http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/news/2001/01/17/osu_coach/

Head Coaching candidates

honestly i knew very little about tressel until he became a candidate for the job. in fact tress was not even the front runner for the job. every one thought that glen mason was going to get he job. in fact glen was crushed when osu announced tressel as the coach. glen though for sure the job was his. then add that chris spielman, jon gruden, mike bellotti, were also in the running for the job. three people who most fan though would get the job over tressel. matter of fact archie griffin even made it known. tressel was not his guy that archie wanted mason.

/>http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/news/2001/01/17/osu_coach/

Oh I'm not saying who I thought was the front runner for the job, I'm just saying most people in Ohio knew who Tressel was. A lot of people actually knew who Tressel was because of his father who was a long time coach at Baldwin Wallace.

Of coarse Archie wanted Glen Mason. Mason was doing well at Minnesota at the time and was a big time Offensive minded coach. I don't understand Spielman, the guy acts like he wants coaching jobs, but he won't take an assistant job or coordinator job anywhere to build up a resume. Guys just don't jump into NFL and big time college coaching jobs without some experience at some level or anther.

Head Coaching candidates

I think his dad Lee Tressell was a coach at PB's alma mater Massillon Washington at one time too.