Confirmed: Jay Gruden Hired

Kazkal

http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Marvin-Lewis-Press-Conference-2311/9df1067a-ebd3-4cb6-a3d2-58c806b5e8b7

Marvin Lewis Press conference

Marvin Had talked to Jon Gruden Quite abit about Offense before even considering his brother.

If Carson is gone, will LeFevour be Grudens new guy??? I still would like to see what LeFevour will bring

I'd say let him compete...They should bring in a vet to the west coast and still draft guy to develop even if carson returns.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/>http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/audio/Audio-Jay-Gruden-Conference-Call-2311/e3b075c8-d3c2-4e1b-bdee-361f4fda7abc

If you've got 12 minutes, listen to this conference call Kaz posted. Gruden basically said they are going to pound the ball.

FWIW I didn't hear anything I didn't like.

Pound the ball. Win between the tackles. Look complex, but play simple. Build around what your players do best. Everybody plays including young guys.

He'll do.

Fun Fact:

On the very same day the signing of Jay Gruden is announced (02/03/11) the comic strip "Brevity" depicts an attacking flying saucer piloted by angry monkeys and below the panel features the caption...

"Sir, it's those monkeys we sent into space in 1959...they're back."

Coincidence?

I believe the odds of the very same space monkeys once rumored to be Bob Bratkowski's replacement suddenly appearing in a comic strip on the very same day the Bengals announce the hiring of Jay Gruden is announced are astronomical.

Logical conclusion?

We've been given a sign.

After listening to Marvins Press Confrense, im liking this move. Sounds like Jay is going to be running the offense and having the say in just about everything, the way Zimmer does defense. So that means Marvin can just be the Head Coach, and worry about those things, so that might be a good thing.

When asked about other coaching changes nothing was said, so i wonder if there will be anything else that happens.

So I'm kind of encouraged by this guy. But in the same sort of way that I'm suspect of attractive women who actually talk to me...why hasn't this guy had a real job in the NFL before (other than holding his brother's.....clipboard)?

From what Marvin and others said it's because he wanted to stay near his family in Orlando.

I will only feel better about it if Paul Alexander is fired.

I hope for that but,Hey maybe if we burn some more 1st & 2nd round picks on Oline it can be decent again.

Pound the ball. Win between the tackles. Look complex, but play simple. Build around what your players do best. Everybody plays including young guys.

He'll do.

Yeah... He's certainly saying the things I want to hear. Of course, Marvin and Brat said similar things last offseason.

I don't know enough about Gruden's body of work to know whether he means what he says, and whether his work history backs it up... but for now, given the information we have, I'll agree with "He'll do."

Sounds like this was a Marvin move to me, so i wonder if Marvin has more control on this team now.

Marvin said Gruden will have control of this offense, so my take will be Gruden will put whatever the best linemen there is in the game. My guess is if they want to be physical running team, they will address the o-line this offseason the most!! So i could see the o-line look alittle different.

I don't know enough about Gruden's body of work to know whether he means what he says, and whether his work history backs it up... but for now, given the information we have, I'll agree with "He'll do."

Looking at Gruden's successful track record in both AFL and the UFL, I think we can safely deduce a few things. We are talking about a couple of "also-ran" pro leagues whose players largely consist of guys who were judged not good enough for the NFL, or who have for one reason or another left or been booted out of the NFL.

The fact he's been able to root through what the NFL regards as its leftovers and come up with good, and even championship, teams tells me that he's either got a good eye for talent, a knack for getting the most out of the talent he has, or -- most likely -- both.

And that in turn suggests that he's a good guy for the Bengals to have around, because of the front office's habit of engaging in the NFL equivalent of dumpster diving when it comes to player acquisition.

In short, if anyone can make lemonade out of the lemons Cincy routinely gets stuck with, Gruden looks like that guy. Good luck and may the force be with him.

Logical conclusion?

We've been given a sign.

The sign I take from this is that you've exceeded your quote of glaucoma, err, medication for today :-)

Ignore the signs at your own peril.

All I know is this very board spoke at some length about Bratkowski being replaced by space monkeys, and then on the very day his replacement is announced a comic strip appears depicting the exact same space monkeys returning to attack the Earth. And there's the rub because the comic strip doesn't feature generic space monkeys, but rather...the very same space monkeys we spoke about who were thought to have passed away long ago from old age.

Gasp! (Genetically altered space monkeys?)

The very idea that all of this may be mere coincidence seems ridiculous when you consider how infrequently space monkeys are mentioned anywhere in any context. To further think that their sudden appearance in a comic strip on the very day the hiring of Jay Gruden is announced is anything but a sign from above almost stretches credibility to it's breaking point.

Obviously this is indeed a sign from above and the fact that the space monkeys were angry enough to attack the Earth does not bode well for someone.

He'll do.

Yeah... He's certainly saying the things I want to hear. Of course, Marvin and Brat said similar things last offseason.

True, but Jay Gruden isn't guilty yet of saying things he fails to deliver upon. At best, he now steps into the fray to give direction with a fresh voice and better energy. And of particular note, while he clearly wants and hopes Carson Palmer returns he saved most of his outward gushing for Cedric Benson. So again, I'm not hearing anything I don't like.

Point blank, if it's years and years of NFL coordinating experience you want most then keeping Bratkowski will always look better, at least on paper. Because Jay Gruden is essentially brand new, as pink as freshly scrubbed puss, and is currently promising everyone who'll listen that the playbook will be changed from front to back. And isn't that exactly what most of us wanted?

He'll do.

Now let's end Chad for once and always and get on with the business of fixing this mess.

Some things jump out at me when I think about his hiring.

There was mention about the Bengals bringing in someone who wouldn't raise a stink about the coaches currently in place.

They seem to have found just that with Chucky Jr.

He comes from a football concept of very fast play in the arena league and a taste of west coast offense when he learned under his brother and such. With that being the case, I ask two questions. If Carson leaves, who looks like a QB to bring in ?? or what type of QB do you want to go after ??

I ask about the QB they would want, because I wonder (pending a Carson trade) would they go after one Mr. Cam Newton ?? At times, Auburn only threw the ball 14 times, while having Newton rush like 40 some times in a game. It sounds crazy, but it almost makes sense when thinking about it. Nothing like making it look difficult, while keeping it simple. Newton can dink and dunk, while being the big guy that is hard to bring down, with the ability to take off out of the pocket. Just saying.

If Carson stays, I'm still VERY happy. I'm excited either way.

I'm also happy, I made the original space monkey comments. Thank you. Good sign indeed Hair !!!

There was mention about the Bengals bringing in someone who wouldn't raise a stink about the coaches currently in place.

He comes from a football concept of very fast play in the arena league and a taste of west coast offense when he learned under his brother and such. With that being the case, I ask two questions. If Carson leaves, who looks like a QB to bring in ?? or what type of QB do you want to go after ??

I ask about the QB they would want, because I wonder (pending a Carson trade) would they go after one Mr. Cam Newton ?? At times, Auburn only threw the ball 14 times, while having Newton rush like 40 some times in a game. It sounds crazy, but it almost makes sense when thinking about it. Nothing like making it look difficult, while keeping it simple. Newton can dink and dunk, while being the big guy that is hard to bring down, with the ability to take off out of the pocket. Just saying.

I'm also happy, I made the original space monkey comments. Thank you. Good sign indeed Hair !!!

Yeah I was wondering how offensive armageddon can co-exist within a West Coast offense while pounding the ball as a way of life. But as was mentioned earlier, their successful seasons in the 70's and 80's were literally based on running the ball with a featured back but with plenty of reps to other backs as well. And the WCO is based on throwing to the RBs out of the backfield, in an "extended handoff" as Bill Walsh would say. So it could be an interesting marriage to say the least. Cam Newton would certainly make things interesting but I can't see them taking him if Carson is still here.

I think what gives me hope or some sense of excitement is his lineage and the energy that I hope he brings. If I were Marvin, I would tell him to be a hardass from day one. Unfortunately, Brat had gotten to a point where there was nothing new in his bag. I think it was easy for people to game plan against us. Let's hope Jay lights a fire under this team.

something I found interesting on Marvin conference that he wants someone in charge of Every thing to do with the Offense Every Detail.That has to be directive to the coaches and allow the coache their position yet make sure everyone is on the same step/page...So sounds like to me that with Brat kinda let the Position coaches do their thing and just go with it,Which I could totally see happening like when it came to Alexander & the Oline.

but I can't see them taking him if Carson is still here.

Unless Mike Brown gets Carson to come back for single season ala Boomer...So maybe if they take someone like Newton Carson returns for one year knowing he'll be free in 2012.

I will have to disagree with you on the Chucky JR comment. I think Gruden will be more like Zimmer. Gruden will say what happens on offense just like what Zim does on defense. Marvin now can focus on just being a HC, instead of babysitting everything!

I also noticed nobody mentioned a thing about Chad, everything was about the young talent.... so i hope that means Chad is done!

As far as Cam, yea i can see that or Gabbert is the same kind of QB. I think they both would run the WCO pretty good, im really liking the offense scheme so far. They need a pounder though, and not sure if that means it will be Benson or not?

something I found interesting on Marvin conference that he wants someone in charge of Every thing to do with the Offense Every Detail.That has to be directive to the coaches and allow the coache their position yet make sure everyone is on the same step/page...So sounds like to me that with Brat kinda let the Position coaches do their thing and just go with it,Which I could totally see happening like when it came to Alexander & the Oline.

WTF...Isn't that what the term "co-ordinator" means? It's a shame things were so hands-off. Like I said, I hope Gruden lights some people up, including the other offensive coaches. No one should feel comfortable any longer.

WTF...Isn't that what the term "co-ordinator" means? It's a shame things were so hands-off. Like I said, I hope Gruden lights some people up, including the other offensive coaches. No one should feel comfortable any longer.

Well thats what I mean coordinator is supposed to coordinate but sounds like that wasn't quite happening.

PS,If their not going to fire Paul Alexander they should least Demote him as assistant HC and give it to Zimmer :>

Well thats what I mean coordinator is supposed to coordinate but sounds like that wasn't quite happening.

PS,If their not going to fire Paul Alexander they should least Demote him as assistant HC and give it to Zimmer :>

That is an excellent idea. I could never figure out why they all love Alexander so much. He was part of Shula's staff for crissakes. How does that qualify him for ascending to Assistant HC much less even be on the staff anymore? Since Coslet, took Shula's place and then LeBeau took Coslet's place I will give him a free pass. But after LeBeau was gone, Alexander should have been gone. If they can fire Ken Anderson, then the can certainly send PA packing.