Confirmed: Jay Gruden Hired

Kazkal

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excerpt from an Orlando Sentinel article ruminating as to why a very talented buy like Jay Gruden was staying in Orlando. He actually liked Orlando. Also it notes his experience as an O.C.

/>http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-08-28/sports/os-bianchi-tbd-0829-20100828_1_florida-tuskers-jay-gruden-love-coaching

"He's one of the best offensive coaches I've ever been around," says Tuskers quarterback Brooks Bollinger, who played in the NFL for seven years.

Gruden's recent hiring by the Tuskers is the first step toward his inevitable ascent up the coaching ladder. This is his first head coaching job in outdoor football, but it won't be his last.

He was former coach Jim Haslett's offensive coordinator last year when the Tuskers averaged a league-best 30.5 points per game and went a perfect 6-0 during the regular season. In nine seasons in the Arena League, Gruden's offenses were positively pyrotechnic, helping the Orlando Predators advance to four ArenaBowls and win two championships.

Sure, he may be the next Bill Walsh, but how does coaching in those leagues qualify him to jump to coordinator in the NFL? Shouldn't we at least require that our new coordinator come from a league that has NFL or NCAA rules? And why couldn't this hire have been made a month ago?

The only thing I know about Jay Gruden is that he will bring the West Coast offense to Cincinnati. Hopefully his play calling won't be as obvious as Brats.

I think this could be a fine direction. Power running, balanced by a short/intermediate route passing game. This is what I think was *supposed* to happen in 2009 but we had a bitch-azz Chad and an over the hill Coles screwing it up. As for personnel, I think this sets up to maximize works with the Caldwell/Shipley/Simpson/Gresham crew of hands. Where Chad fits, I have no idea. Maybe he (and TO) can find a home with the Tuskers...

If this is the offensive approach, this could be enough for Palmer to reconsider. If he still remains adamant to leave, SoP really does need to pull the trigger and get whatever value he can for him, like he did with Dillon.

http://news.cincinna...SPT02/302020098

"We are excited to have Jay join us and give us a new direction offensively," said Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis. "He has proven himself a consistent winner in a variety of positions and has earned tremendous respect in the coaching profession. He's going to provide the energy and attacking style that will best suit our offensive skill players and quarterback.

"This is something I wanted to get right, to take the time to make the best decision," Lewis said, "and I appreciate the support I got from (Bengals president) Mike Brown in the process. The offense is where we need to show improvement, and when we do, we'll show that this team is ready to win the division again like we did just a year ago. Our defense is strong and still improving, and one thing we did in 2010 was to develop a number of very promising new players. Jay is a key addition to this process."

"I expect great things with the Bengals," Gruden said. "I intend on bringing a great attitude and work ethic. We'll build off the strength this offense has developed and add a system to challenge everyone in the building. I thank Marvin Lewis and Mike Brown for this opportunity, and I look forward to working with a great offensive staff."

Does this

Everybody just settle down. Here's how this week will look:

Monday: Bratkowski, zampese and alexander are fired

mean that Jonah really and truly is a sage?

If thats the case - dude, I need the lotto numbers for this week asap, please.

More importantly, does this mean I'll be launching Space Monkeys out of my butt come Saturday? ^_^

How we looking Billy?

What a joke.

Kinda my reaction too. But, in fairness, I don't know s**t about him. Is there anything in his background that says he is remotely ready to be a success at this job?

I get this feeling but same time I'm bit interested because of the unknown factor.

-So why did he get the job? Did he have the best interview did he come cheapest?

-He spent 7 years with the buccaneers but he was only part time coach

-What kind of offense is he going to run?It seems like he is West Coast by the sounds of it.

-Overall I really don't mind the hire and would like to see how jay does.

-He seems Fiery and passionate and I think that will be good for offense,JT writes alot of crap but I think that was important for our next OC.

So All in All I like the move I like it more then getting Chilly,Zorn or Promoted Zampese/Sheppard... So good deal.

What a joke.

Kinda my reaction too. But, in fairness, I don't know s**t about him. Is there anything in his background that says he is remotely ready to be a success at this job?

I get this feeling but same time I'm bit interested because of the unknown factor.

-So why did he get the job? Did he have the best interview did he come cheapest?

-He spent 7 years with the buccaneers but he was only part time coach

-What kind of offense is he going to run?It seems like he is West Coast by the sounds of it.

-Overall I really don't mind the hire and would like to see how jay does.

-He seems Fiery and passionate and I think that will be good for offense,JT writes alot of crap but I think that was important for our next OC.

So All in All I like the move I like it more then getting Chilly,Zorn or Promoted Zampese/Sheppard... So good deal.

I agree, I like his background and passion. Initially i was like wtf but after reseraching a little I am intrigued. I want a new qb tho and i hope the bengals can get a 1st and 3rd or something similar...

I was hoping for a hire of this type. An energetic outsider... Like Zimmer was for the defense.

That said, I'm a little confused. Marvin has said that he regretted abandoning the power running game/ball control style in favor of what we saw in 2010. So, I'm a little surprised to see a OC known for a west coast style. It doesn't seem like they are really planning on returning to their '09 roots. And that makes me sad.

That said, If he can find an effective way to fuse a power running game with a west coast style passing game that utilizes the strengths of Shipley, Caldwell, and Gresham... I could see a guy like Gruden resurrecting Palmer's career. But that seems like a pretty big 'if' to me.

I believe it was reedy that said the offense was going to be focused on power running with short/intermediate passing routes, thus maximizing gresham, shipley and caldwell's quickness in the passing game. I can remember a few years ago watching the Colts march up and down the field on dudes by simply dunking 6 yard passes. Perhaps some recall the Ravens this past year doing the same (in the form of ray rice screen passes every three plays). I hope it isn't quite to that degree, but I see no reason why we can't have someone open for a 5 yard pass on every play.

In terms of the short term passing game, I just hope that we won't see Jay pulling a Brat and by sending Gresham and Ship on 3 yard out/dig routes when it's 3rd and 5 :unsure:

The more I read, the more excited I am about the pick.

I was hoping for a hire of this type. An energetic outsider... Like Zimmer was for the defense.

That said, I'm a little confused. Marvin has said that he regretted abandoning the power running game/ball control style in favor of what we saw in 2010. So, I'm a little surprised to see a OC known for a west coast style. It doesn't seem like they are really planning on returning to their '09 roots. And that makes me sad.

That said, If he can find an effective way to fuse a power running game with a west coast style passing game that utilizes the strengths of Shipley, Caldwell, and Gresham... I could see a guy like Gruden resurrecting Palmer's career. But that seems like a pretty big 'if' to me.

The Bengals went to their 1st Super Bowl with a power running game and a west coast offense behind Ken Anderson, Pete Johnson and Co. The two aren't mutually exclusive. Whether an Arena league is ready to coordinate an NFL offense is another question

I don't know why you can't run effectively out of a WC offense. I realize the short passing game takes some of that away, but you ought to make do with what you have. The primary problem to me seems to be that Benson isn't a proven receiver, but it should be workable.

I could see a guy like Gruden resurrecting Palmer's career. But that seems like a pretty big 'if' to me.

I'm optimistic on Gruden's ability to coach up QBs. This guy's a former QB who's played the position everywhere but the NFL, it seems. He's also one of those 'made a lot out of a little' kinds of guys that frequently make excellent coaches.

My main concern would be that Carson maybe doesn't fit the WC mold well. Carson seems terrible at the short throws.

I just hope there's some talent here, and it's not another one of those 'you came from a famous family so you must be good' kinds of things. You know, guys who remind Mikey of himself.

I don't know why you can't run effectively out of a WC offense. I realize the short passing game takes some of that away, but you ought to make do with what you have. The primary problem to me seems to be that Benson isn't a proven receiver, but it should be workable.

I could see a guy like Gruden resurrecting Palmer's career. But that seems like a pretty big 'if' to me.

I'm optimistic on Gruden's ability to coach up QBs. This guy's a former QB who's played the position everywhere but the NFL, it seems. He's also one of those 'made a lot out of a little' kinds of guys that frequently make excellent coaches.

My main concern would be that Carson maybe doesn't fit the WC mold well. Carson seems terrible at the short throws.

I just hope there's some talent here, and it's not another one of those 'you came from a famous family so you must be good' kinds of things. You know, guys who remind Mikey of himself.

I disagree with this "Carson seems terrible at the short throws." He does well in a rhythm and I think the West Coast could be a good fit.

The Bengals went to their 1st Super Bowl with a power running game and a west coast offense behind Ken Anderson, Pete Johnson and Co. The two aren't mutually exclusive. Whether an Arena league is ready to coordinate an NFL offense is another question

No... the West Coast and power running game aren't mutually exclusive... but West Coast and ball control are very rarely paired. In fact... I'm not sure I can think of an example. West coast offenses tend to focus on skill positions rather than the line of scrimmage.

Ball control is why the Bengals won in '09... not just because of a power running game, but how the clock was used up. And if controlling the line of scrimmage isn't the first priority, TOP usually ends up in the 'L' column.

The homer in me wants to believe that we'll see 9+ minute drives (like we did in '09) capped off with TDs instead of FGs because of the West Coast passing game. But I have my doubts, because West Coast usually means pass-first, which usually means less TOP, which usually means more stress on the defense. And that's not how this team has won games recently.

But I'll remain cautiously optimistic until I have significant evidence to become a pessimist.

Here are some numbers for the Tuskers under Gruden (OC in 2009, HC in 2010):

/>http://www.totalfootballstats.com/TeamNFLE.asp?id=235&Season=2009

Anyone who can get that kind of performance out of Brooks Bollinger could probably manage to do something constructive with Carson Palmer.

Well he did spend 7 years with his brother in Tampa,He was only a Assistant but I think reedy said he helped with game planning...Everyone has to start somewhere I'm just glad we have Passionate guy vs Marshmallow.

No... the West Coast and power running game aren't mutually exclusive... but West Coast and ball control are very rarely paired. In fact... I'm not sure I can think of an example. West coast offenses tend to focus on skill positions rather than the line of scrimmage.

I gave you an example. The NY Jets and Cleveland Browns are two current day examples although I agree it's debatable if those are good offenses

I gave you an example. The NY Jets and Cleveland Browns are two current day examples although I agree it's debatable if those are good offenses

Remember the Tampa team he worked with had a pretty good D; the West Coast offense didn't seem to drag the defense down there.

/>http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/audio/Audio-Jay-Gruden-Conference-Call-2311/e3b075c8-d3c2-4e1b-bdee-361f4fda7abc

If you've got 12 minutes, listen to this conference call Kaz posted. Gruden basically said they are going to pound the ball.

He said, and this is pretty close to a quote: We're not going to spread out, go no huddle and throw the ball 65 times a game.

He also said he learned his offense from his brother in Tampa Bay. It is worth noting that his brother learned it from Bill Walsh in San Francisco.

/>http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/audio/Audio-Jay-Gruden-Conference-Call-2311/e3b075c8-d3c2-4e1b-bdee-361f4fda7abc

If you've got 12 minutes, listen to this conference call Kaz posted. Gruden basically said they are going to pound the ball.

He said, and this is pretty close to a quote: We're not going to spread out, go no huddle and throw the ball 65 times a game.

He also said he learned his offense from his brother in Tampa Bay. It is worth noting that his brother learned it from Bill Walsh in San Francisco.

I enjoyed listening to it,His brother came from a good coaching tree and he did spend 7 years learning and working with his brother... I still have some doubts but overall I like the move "shrug"

Well he did spend 7 years with his brother in Tampa,He was only a Assistant but I think reedy said he helped with game planning...Everyone has to start somewhere I'm just glad we have Passionate guy vs Marshmallow.

The Bengals were also in the top 5 in rushing five seasons in a row around the time of Super Bowl XXIII.

Gruden basically said they are going to pound the ball.

That's pretty close to verbatim. I was encouraged by how his general attitude seemed to be let's work hard, put the work in, so we can go have fun beating up on people. Sounds like he's committed to power running and then play action passes that "will be fun for the quarterback."

Sounds good to me :bengal:

Whats not to like, we have not seen him call a play here. I will not judge him before i know how he calls games, or what he can do with this offense. I do like his attitude, and i like the offense he wants to run, so there for i do like this move.

I wonder if there are any offense guys from the tuskers that will come join there old head coach here with the bengals????

If Carson is gone, will LeFevour be Grudens new guy??? I still would like to see what LeFevour will bring