Confirmed: Jay Gruden Hired

Kazkal

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

something I found interesting on Marvin conference that he wants someone in charge of Every thing to do with the Offense Every Detail.That has to be directive to the coaches and allow the coache their position yet make sure everyone is on the same step/page...So sounds like to me that with Brat kinda let the Position coaches do their thing and just go with it,Which I could totally see happening like when it came to Alexander & the Oline.

WTF...Isn't that what the term "co-ordinator" means? It's a shame things were so hands-off. Like I said, I hope Gruden lights some people up, including the other offensive coaches. No one should feel comfortable any longer.

Well thats what I mean coordinator is supposed to coordinate but sounds like that wasn't quite happening.

PS,If their not going to fire Paul Alexander they should least Demote him as assistant HC and give it to Zimmer :>

That is an excellent idea. I could never figure out why they all love Alexander so much. He was part of Shula's staff for crissakes. How does that qualify him for ascending to Assistant HC much less even be on the staff anymore? Since Coslet, took Shula's place and then LeBeau took Coslet's place I will give him a free pass. But after LeBeau was gone, Alexander should have been gone. If they can fire Ken Anderson, then the can certainly send PA packing.

I agree Alexander has to go, but dosnt look like he will. However i still think its up to Gruden to put the best players on the field, so i think we will see some changes.

I still wonder if anyone from the Tuskers will brought over, i mean from the o-line or anything like that????

One of the posters at CJ collected a bunch of Jay Gruden vids from the Tuskers here:

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/2/3/1972643/getting-to-know-jay

Some good stuff.

That was some good stuff, im excited for his oppertunity. Looks like he is a great motivator, and it seems like his players liked him.

I wonder if Gruden will coach from the sidelines or in the booth. Im hoping for the sidelines somebody who is right there with the guys?????

From the sidelines, per a poster over on the bengals boards who listened to him on some sports show or other.

I heard him say that he prefers to be on the sidelines while being interviewed on Sports Talk on 700 WLW. Actually, he was emphatic about having to be on the sidelines. He seems very high energy and very hands on and involved. I was pretty impressed about what he had to say and his demeanor during the interview.

I wonder if Gruden will coach from the sidelines or in the booth. Im hoping for the sidelines somebody who is right there with the guys?????

From the sidelines, per a poster over on the bengals boards who listened to him on some sports show or other.

I heard him say that he prefers to be on the sidelines while being interviewed on Sports Talk on 700 WLW. Actually, he was emphatic about having to be on the sidelines. He seems very high energy and very hands on and involved. I was pretty impressed about what he had to say and his demeanor during the interview.

Awsome, i was hoping from the sidelines. Too me its much better that way they are right in the action.

Brat was definitely a sacrificial lamb to stop the season ticket renewal bleeding. Gruden? Eh. I'll be happy just to see a new offense, but if they're keeping the same position coaches, it's just lame.

Email to fans from Bengals

Hello

I wanted to reach out quickly today to provide you with some information regarding some changes made within the Cincinnati Bengals' organization in the past couple of weeks. As I am sure most of you have heard, Bob Bratkowski has been relieved of his responsibilities as Offensive Coordinator. Bratkowski had been with the team since 2001 and had his share of ups and downs with the franchise. The team enjoyed some of their best offensive seasons under Bratkowski, but recently he had come under fire from fans and critics that felt the offense had gotten stale and predictable. This afternoon, The Bengals took a step to cure what has ailed our offense. We announced that our new offensive coordinator will be Jay Gruden, brother of Super Bowl winning coach Jon Gruden. Jay has a lot of experience in football, both as a player and as a coach. He is known for his innovative offensive approach that should get us back towards our old roots in the West Coast Offense. Attached are both the press release that the organization provided regarding the hiring, and some other information about Gruden's coaching resume. Also, click here to listen into Coach Gruden's conference call with local media.

This is big news for the Cincinnati Bengals' organization and our great fans. I just wanted to make sure that you all, both current season ticket holders and folks that may be considering joining us in 2011, were in the loop with some of the changes taking place. The Club will be rolling into 2011 with some momentum as a result of a relatively strong finish to 2010 from our young core of players, a solid returning defense, and a new offensive coordinator.

We should be able to start making some of our great 2011 season ticket locations available within the next month, and I will be reaching out to you at that point. If you have any questions about tickets for the upcoming season or anything else concerning the team, feel free to reach out to me. Thank you very much for your time.

From Reedy:

http://news.cincinna...SPT02/102040340

Lewis said Gruden's system should be simpler and easier for players to learn, especially the younger ones, that Bratkowski's. Adapting to a new system might be more vital this offseason with the threat of a lockout. Gruden has experience in teaching in short timeframes since UFL camps lasted only three weeks.

When asked what stood out about Gruden, Lewis said, "I believe the ability to really merge and mesh the running game and passing game. He has great new ideas which are important and will take the strain off the quarterback. With Jay and (quarterbacks coach) Kenny (Zampese) we have two great young minds."

Lewis said he considered Zampese seriously for the position and that the hiring of Gruden wasn't a slight to him. Lewis showed he was willing to go to a West Coast system a couple of weeks ago when he interviewed former Vikings head coach Brad Childress.

----------------------------------

Lewis and Gruden have not spoken to Palmer but are expected to soon. Lewis said that this system should be closer to the one Palmer ran at Southern Cal.

"It's a unique situation," said Gruden of Palmer. "I hope he comes back and that this system is going to be one where he wants to come and play. If he's adamant about not coming back, that's his decision."

----------------------------------

With the change made at offensive coordinator, Lewis admitted that a cloud has been lifted. Bratkowski's status had been a distraction since the season ended, so work can begin on the upcoming year."The guys who were in today are excited. Change is sometimes good," Lewis said. "I had to be convinced, though, that this was a doable thing. I knew I was going to get this put back one way or another and being able to hire Jay is a good fit for us. We want to attack and be better on offense."

Fixed. Thank flying space monkeys that moron is out of town.

And how long, I wonder, before we start saying the same thing about the new guy? I mean, it isn't like we haven't been here before.

The Bengals have been criticized at times during the past few seasons by their own players for being too predictable on offense. But Bratkowski brings the dimension of running the ball out of a spread formation on first and second down.

Yup, lest we forget, once upon a season it was Bobby B who was riding in to revamp our stale and predictable offense which, thanks to the fact the only offensive skill player we had who was worth a damn was Corey Dillion, had become stuck on "run." So he came in and completely rewrote the playbook in order to fire up the passing game.

And this week, he got canned for it. Welcome to your future, Jay, It's just a matter of time.

Welcome to your future, Jay, It's just a matter of time.

True, but hardly unique to Cinci. NFL coaches are hired to get fired. It is just the nature of the business.

True enough, but I just found it ironic that the guy hired to fix our stale and predictable offense has now been replaced by a guy hired to fix our stale and predicable offense by turning it back into the first stale and predictable offense. And who in turn will probably be followed, in eight or ten years, by a guy hired to turn it back into the second stale and predictable offense.

There are some lessons here in terms of identity and accountability but I doubt the front office takes notice.

True enough, but I just found it ironic that the guy hired to fix our stale and predictable offense has now been replaced by a guy hired to fix our stale and predicable offense by turning it back into the first stale and predictable offense.

IMHO stale and predictable offenses usually have very little to do with the scheme being run and everything to do with playcalling. To that end, I'd say Bratkowski's fondness for hurry up football, shotgun formations, and empty backfields that don't have to be defended are what got him fired, not a stale design.

FWIW I remember listening tto Bratkowski's first press conference after joining the Bengals and all of the talk was about running a stretch passing game, putting unbelievable pressure on defenses outside of the hash marks, and how a pass catching TE with vertical speed was the most important piece of the puzzle. Ironically in Bratkowski's ten seasons here he never really managed to utilize the TE position he originally claimed was the most important.

All of which contrasts starkly with Gruden's remarks about pounding the ball being job one, the importance of winning between the tackles, lining up looking complex but actually playing simple, and how a team can only expand their playbook by first running the football successfully. Add up all of Gruden's remarks and it's enough to make a guy like me cry tears of joy.

Of course I won't actually cry because I dare not show weakness infront of the space monkeys.

True enough, but I just found it ironic that the guy hired to fix our stale and predictable offense has now been replaced by a guy hired to fix our stale and predicable offense by turning it back into the first stale and predictable offense. And who in turn will probably be followed, in eight or ten years, by a guy hired to turn it back into the second stale and predictable offense.

There are some lessons here in terms of identity and accountability but I doubt the front office takes notice.

While I find the cynicism totally commendable, it seems something of a false dichotomy to classify all offenses into 'predictable running' and 'predictable passing'. I'm hoping there's a category called 'balanced yet innovative'. That would be good.

Hell, I was almost hoping they'd bring Sammy Wyche out of mothballs, he'd try some decidedly non-stale stuff. But I'm encouraged by what I'm hearing as a next best case. I actually like that he's played and coached in different leagues with different rules, it should help him think differently. I like that he's willing to follow the strengths of the team that he has, instead of forcing his schemes on the wrong personnel. That's kind of rare in an incoming coordinator.

He definitely wins the Battle of February. Not that it took much - it's sort of like being the Yankee center fielder who replaces Mickey Mantle, except the exact opposite. But that low threshold notwithstanding, I'm liking what I hear as much as is possible.

I like this for a few reasons. Obviously, Brat is gone, and I firmly believe ANYBODY is an automatic upgrade. Also, there are a few players who I think will benefit greatly. Gruden was a QB, so I have to believe that he'll develop a bond with Carson, and be able to share some experiences. Gruden's time in the Arena League should give him niftly little plays for a guy like Shipley, and WHAT I REALLY LIKE, is him installing more of a West Coast Offense, which will mean MORE PLAYS CALLED FOR OUR STUD TE GRESHAM !!!!!!

I'm wondering if the "change of pace" back becomes more of a factor, than it has been lately.

Scott catching screens out of the backfield seems like a nice possession of ours.

The interior of our o-line needs an upgrade badly, but these guys seemed to thrive in 2009 with smashmouth, so who knows ??

I'm wondering if the "change of pace" back becomes more of a factor, than it has been lately.

Scott catching screens out of the backfield seems like a nice possession of ours.

The interior of our o-line needs an upgrade badly, but these guys seemed to thrive in 2009 with smashmouth, so who knows ??

I believe Scott will be very involved in this offense. I can see alot of dink and dunk, screen passes, and i cant wait something we have not seen in sometime. I cant wait to actully see the o-line go out and block on the screen pass :)

As much as I'm not sold on this particular o-line, their strong suit is run blocking.

Given their strength and a change for them to not pass block to make others happy and I think it might not take as much as many originally thought.

I'm interested to see what Gruden will be able to do with Gresham as well.

I believe Scott will be very involved in this offense. I can see alot of dink and dunk, screen passes, and i cant wait something we have not seen in sometime. I cant wait to actully see the o-line go out and block on the screen pass :)

A staple of the West Coast Offense is a RB who can catch the ball. That bodes well for Scott, not so much for Benson.

IMHO stale and predictable offenses usually have very little to do with the scheme being run and everything to do with playcalling.

I'd say it has more to do with execution than either. In the end, it all boils down to whether it produces wins or not. No one was complaining about Bratkowski's schemes or playcalling in '05, but that year he had (among other things) a pair of receivers who actually did their jobs. Last season, he had a couple guys who, in the time-honored manner of so many Nineties-era Bengals, just mailed it in while cashing Mikey's paychecks. When he actually got a couple guys who gave a crap in the last few games, suddenly the Bengals had an offense again.

While I find the cynicism totally commendable, it seems something of a false dichotomy to classify all offenses into 'predictable running' and 'predictable passing'. I'm hoping there's a category called 'balanced yet innovative'. That would be good.

It works for me. And I'm not trying to be cynical; I'm actually fine with the choice of Jay Gruden. But I'm far less concerned about the system he wants to install, and far more concerned with what he's got to make it work (or not). The Bengals offense was predictable when Brat was brought in because they had Corey Dillon and 10 other guys of minimal consequence. I'm not sure Gruden will have much more to work with. It took Brat three years and Carson Palmer to turn things around, briefly. Hopefully, Gruden finds his own Carson equivalent sooner, because I don't think he'll have the same luxury of a 10-year run.

I'm actually fine with the choice of Jay Gruden. But I'm far less concerned about the system he wants to install, and far more concerned with what he's got to make it work (or not). The Bengals offense was predictable when Brat was brought in because they had Corey Dillon and 10 other guys of minimal consequence. I'm not sure Gruden will have much more to work with. It took Brat three years and Carson Palmer to turn things around, briefly. Hopefully, Gruden finds his own Carson equivalent sooner, because I don't think he'll have the same luxury of a 10-year run.

Prediction: 2011 shows that there's a lot more talent on offense than was apparent last year, and that will be the final indictment of the reign of one Robert Bratkowski. I bet he doesn't work in the NFL again.

EDIT: Assuming there's a season, naturally.