Confirmed: Jay Gruden Hired

Kazkal

Well I think the hire of our New Offensive Coordinator deserved its own thread...

Source: Jay Gruden heading to Cincinnati

Posted by Mike Florio on February 2, 2011, 9:59 PM EST

Gruden

Rumors are flying that the replacement for Bob Bratkowski will have a very familiar name.

Gruden.

A league source tells us that Jay Gruden, currently the head coach of the Virginia Destroyers of the UFL, will become the next offensive coordinator of the Bengals. The source says the deal is done.

We’ve yet to obtain confirmation of that fact.

Gruden fits the player-acquisition profile that the Bengals have used in recent years. He was arrested for DUI in 2005.

He’s the younger brother of former Raiders and Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden.

If it is Jay Gruden I don't mind it he's young doesn't have alot NFL Experiace but maybe his brother will let him barrow his playbook and give him some tips..headcoach when marvin is fired ^_^

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was updated tomorrow morning! This is at the bottom of the page. Looks like someone needs to update their clock settings.

"This page was last modified on 3 February 2011 at 04:05."

------------------------------------------------

Here's the latest from Reedy from about five minutes ago:

http://news.cincinna...ext-Bengals-OC-

Profootballtalk.com reported that Jay Gruden, currently the head coach of the Virginia Destroyers of the UFL, will become the next offensive coordinator of the Bengals.

------------------------------------

And from pft.......of course Florio has to stick the dig in there at the end. Fkr.

http://profootballta...-to-cincinnati/

A league source tells us that Jay Gruden, currently the head coach of the Virginia Destroyers of the UFL, will become the next offensive coordinator of the Bengals. The source says the deal is done.

We've yet to obtain confirmation of that fact.

Gruden fits the player-acquisition profile that the Bengals have used in recent years. He was arrested for DUI in 2005.

I like it. I'm no Jay Gruden expert, but we wanted Brat gone. We didn't want Zampese to get promoted. I'll bet he's high energy. It could be just what is needed. Who did we really want?

/>http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-08-28/sports/os-bianchi-tbd-0829-20100828_1_florida-tuskers-jay-gruden-love-coaching

His wikipedia info doesn't scream that this hiring is something I should automatically feel good about. Arena league playing experience and arena league coaching experience mostly, w/ his sole NFL coaching experience as an asst to his brother. Please, someone, sell me on this.

Jay runs a very explosive offense, he was a player/HC for the Orlando Arena team that won a couple of Arena Bowls. He is a tireless worker just like his brother. I think it is a good shake up personally he will bring an up tempo attacking style that he learned in the arena league I am pleasantly surprised that they didn't bring some tired old NFL reject.

I don't think there's any reason to be overly excited until we see some results, but I don't think he should be immediately dismissed, either.

He worked with the Bucs for quite a few years when they were decent, and I would expect him to have a decent amount of football knowledge. Hopefully he's got a bit of the fiery attitude we saw from Jon throughout his coaching tenure, which will certainly shake things up from Brat's calm and intellectual demeanor. Not that I have anything against that aspect of Brat, but if you're going to make a change, then you might as well make a change.

Time shall tell.

I'll reserve my judgement from an Xs and Os standpoint, because I simply don't know what type of offense he runs yet. I don't have a strong opinion on this one way or another yet.

What I like: It appears that his interaction with players is an improvement over Brat. He seems more fiery and demands more personal accountability. I remember someone citing an anonymous offensive player who commented on the accountability that Zim required, but that wasn't demanded of them from Brat and Marvin. Maybe that aspect can be improved, we'll see.

What I don't like: There is little to no evidence to show that he has the necessary experience to be an NFL offensive coordinator. I'm sure he's got some imagination and whatnot, but he hasn't been battle tested, so it's really hard to be phenomenally excited about this.

What a joke.

Kinda my reaction too. But, in fairness, I don't know s**t about him. Is there anything in his background that says he is remotely ready to be a success at this job?

You are talking about probably the greatest player in the history of the Arena Football League. This is a guy who gets the job done. Have a little respect.

JG is certainly untested at this level in the NFL. OTOH he has a strong history of winning in both the Arena League and, for the last two years, in the UFL. The Tuskers were something like 11-3 and went to the championship game (losing twice) in 2009-10. The guy was also up for the OC job in Carolina, so it isn't as if the Bengals were the only team who thought he was worth a shot. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Meanwhile, back at the Bratkowski household, Bob's wife finds the attached note on the kitchen counter:

"Becky, did you see they hired my replacement? That guy from Tampa Bay's little brother. Anyway, here's a grocery list for when you go to Krogers later. I wrote it in the form of a quadratic equation just so it'd be really clear. If you have any trouble understanding it, just vary each coefficient separately. Love, Bob."

Quadratic_equation_coefficients.png

from Reedy
/>http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110202/SPT02/302020098

Jay Gruden also is no stranger to the area. He was a three-year starter at Louisville (1985-88) and passed for more than 7,000 yards and 44 touchdowns while winning two team MVPs. Gruden still ranks in the top five in most passing categories in Cardinal history, and he spent a season as a graduate assistant on Howard Schnellenberger’s staff.

During his nine-season reign, Gruden led the Predators to four ArenaBowl appearances and a pair of championships. Under Gruden, Orlando never failed to make the playoffs and posted an overall record of 93-61 (.604 winning percentage).

Gruden was also an accomplished player in the AFL. During the league’s 20th anniversary, he was named fourth on its list of the 20 Greatest Players in league history.

from bengals.com
/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/All-signs-point-to-Jay-Gruden-/c5dc9002-b0aa-462a-af48-8de0868ba326

He fits the profile sought by head coach Marvin Lewis as a fresh-faced innovator and it looks like the Bengals are going back to at least a portion of their West Coast roots.