Carson Palmer Thread

NJ29

Watching Palmers press conference and I wish someone would ask him the hard questions:

Why did you quit on the Bengals?

Why did you throw games last year? Yes he threw games! Throwing into double and triple coverage. Refusing to scramble, taking all those delay of games.

How can the Raiders trust you?

This morning Adam Schefter said he had spoken recently to the ex-Jet QB Palmer as been working out with and as recently as the night before the trade broke Palmer was said to be "despondent" over the way things had played out prior to the trade breaking. O'Brien claimed Palmer had no real complaint with the Bengals ownership or coaches, but felt he needed a fresh start and had to force the events due to his age. Later, Chris Mortenson also quoted Ken O'Brien as saying you could see Palmer's desire to play football again visibly diminish only a few days ago when it seemed he wouldn't be traded.

And then of course came the Hollywood ending with our hero, Carson Palmer, waking up handsome from a perfect nights sleep to see a text message saying it was all a bad dream.

And maybe it was.

According to Marvin in his presser, this is pretty much exactly how they envisioned it.

I get the impression that they've been working on this for quite a while. He said that Hue had expressed interest even before the Campbell injury and that Mike was just holding out until he could maximize the benefit to the team. He also said that Mike is far more patient than he is .

If you choose to believe Marvin, then it doesn't sound all that lucky to me.

Luck was involved of course. There's no denying it. But you have to be in the right position to take advantage of luck should it appear and bestow it's sweet sticky goodness upon you. Brown did that much and that alone was responsible for more trade compensation than most of his sharpest critics would have managed.

And I have no problem whatsoever believing involves Mike Brown using his reputation for hardball and slash-and-burn negotiating tactics to it's full advantage. Because the question was never what it would take to get a trade done. The question was would they get that type of offer.

And as luck has it.....

"I know this was a selfish decision." --- Carson Palmer

At last, there before you stands brave Prometheus. Behold the fire he brings from the heavens above. Beware it's flaming truth for such truths will enlighten the world, or failing that...the entire tri-state area.

Selfish bastard, that Prometheus.

I haven't checked this for accuracy, but one of the talking heads on NFL Network said that we have 9 picks in the first 3 rounds of the next two drafts.

That's ridiculously awesome if true.

According to Wiki they don't have any other extra picks in rd 1-3 in 2012-3. We get a 5th rounder from NE because of Chad. My guess is that they're jumping the gun and they're projecting that we'll get a late 3rd rounder as compensation for the J Joe loss in FA. But the Nate Clemons signing may mitigate that.

Given JJ's production, it's not jumping the gun. It's what they will get.

I haven't checked this for accuracy, but one of the talking heads on NFL Network said that we have 9 picks in the first 3 rounds of the next two drafts.

That's ridiculously awesome if true.

According to Wiki they don't have any other extra picks in rd 1-3 in 2012-3. We get a 5th rounder from NE because of Chad. My guess is that they're jumping the gun and they're projecting that we'll get a late 3rd rounder as compensation for the J Joe loss in FA. But the Nate Clemons signing may mitigate that.

Given JJ's production, it's not jumping the gun. It's what they will get.

I've now heard 9 picks # from several different places. Seems legit to me.

And then of course came the Hollywood ending with our hero, Carson Palmer, waking up handsome from a perfect nights sleep to see a text message saying it was all a bad dream.

And maybe it was.

It kind of feels that way today, doesn't it? The Bengals have an exciting young QB/WR combination and at least an extra first and second in the next two drafts. Palmer has his fresh start. The Raiders have a good QB. And the NFL is better off with an ugly standoff resolved and Palmer back on the field.

What was once a scenario in which everybody loses has become one in which everyone, at least for the moment, won. Whoda thunk it?

And maybe it was.

It kind of feels that way today, doesn't it? The Bengals have an exciting young QB/WR combination and at least an extra first and second in the next two drafts. Palmer has his fresh start. The Raiders have a good QB. And the NFL is better off with an ugly standoff resolved and Palmer back on the field.

What was once a scenario in which everybody loses has become one in which everyone, at least for the moment, won. Whoda thunk it?

Whoda thunk it?

Palmer, of course.

My only regret is that Palmer might have spent only one night thinking about how his selfish plan had indeed backfired so badly that he had, in actual fact, ended his own career.

But that's not how the story ever ends in Hollywood.

The hero cannot be allowed to die.

But the sidekick can.

Cue Jason Campbell.

Cut.

Print.

Wrap.

:blink:

My only regret is that Palmer might have spent only one night thinking about how his selfish plan had indeed backfired so badly that he had, in actual fact, ended his own career.

Agreed.

While it is obvious that Palmer lost in this battle of wills... he still got the outcome he wanted. And the hyper-vigilant part of me wanted to see Palmer rot.

On the other hand... an utter failure in Oakland, a team now handicapped in their ability to rebuild, may be even more juicy.

The only thing we know for sure right now is that the Bengals won on this trade. The Raiders....maybe. Time will tell. Even if this season is "successful" by some metric for the Raiders, there's still the prospect that having nothing from the next draft will do some damage, not to mention the unease that must go with making a blockbuster trade for a player that appears to have been relatively pleased to retire. But whatever happens, the Bengals won this one.

Which leads to the character test - that can only be answered internally by each individual - of whether we wish CP well or not. Let's just say, for me, that I wouldn't lose sleep over the Bengals getting a top 10 pick this offseason and a 2nd rounder next.

Not sure if it's been discussed but Marvin made a couple of interesting comments towards the end of his press conference yesterday.

One was that the entire off-season has pretty much played out just like he had planned or envisioned. And there was some reference to things happening around the trade deadline, which it actually did. When I heard it I didn't take it as a credit-grab but more a statement of fact. If he is being honest, it's a credit to his vision and for Mike B. to assist or enable this to happen. He also made a couple of comments about MB's stubbornness and not to play poker with MB.

Again if this is all true, then perhaps Marvin should move into the GM role full time. They had a solid off-season besides loosing Joseph and the Simpson/Benson incidents. In essence they were able to quickly remake the team which is to be commended.

http://www.bengals.c...8b-f462f4f25762

This may be too much of a non-sequitor from all the talk of blind squirrels and evil genius. Also, I have no doubt this will mean very little to anyone here, so perhaps HoF's experimental nonsense thread would be a better place for this.

Nevertheless, here goes nothing:

Ahem.

I'm compelled at this time to send out a long-distance dedication to Carson Palmer. May you finally find that Chairman Mao coat you've been lacking and lead your silver and black comrades like so many bottle rockets streaking through the night skies.

Until they explode.

And never come back to Cincinnati.

I feel like we'll end up with a weak trade though.

Of course we will......because the Bngals don't have a F*king GM who could pull off a decent trade.

Points. Laughs.

I have never been happier to eat crown in MY LIFE.

Mike, nice find. Now, show us this is nothing more than opportunistic coincidence. We tip our hats for doing it but that is like gushing congratulations to a guy for his master plan to hit the powerball.

Even_a_blind_squirrel_finds_an_acorn_sometimes-i16z86-d.jpg

What KingWilly said.....

Of course we will......because the Bngals don't have a F*king GM who could pull off a decent trade.

Points. Laughs.

Mike, nice find. Now, show us this is nothing more than opportunistic coincidence. We tip our hats for doing it but that is like gushing congratulations to a guy for his master plan to hit the powerball.

What KingWilly said.....

Points/Laughs

And maybe it was.

I think it was a great deal for all. I mean, NOBODY thought Mikey boy would get so much for Palmer. That obviously will help the future. As for the Raiders, they get a QB who has at least 5 or 6 years left (if he chooses to play) who STILL HAS a cannon for an arm and can throw those deep balls the late Al Davis so dearly loved. As good as McFadden is, just watch what he does now......Carson finally has a RB (not just on 3rd Down) who he can throw to, and can explode......

Points. Laughs.

What KingWilly said.....

Points/Laughs

Points/Laughs because Derek thinks he knew Mike would end up getting a 1st and a conditional 2nd that could end up being another 1st.

NostradamusShank?

Points. Laughs.

What KingWilly said.....

Points/Laughs

Points/Laughs because Derek thinks he knew Mike would end up getting 1st and a conditional 2nd that could end up being another 1st.

NostradamusShank?

There are over 100 pages of evidence that I argued all along that MB was maximizing Palmer's value.

There are just as many pages of evidence that make you look like a dink... and now you're scrambling to explain it away.

Thanks for playing.

There are over 100 pages of evidence that I argued all along that MB was maximizing Palmer's value.

There are just as many pages of evidence that make you look like a dink... and now you're scrambling to explain it away.

Thanks for playing.

If you actually believe that Mike Brown handled the cCarson Palmer situation the right way from the beginning, you're a F'n DINK......Mike Brown never entertained offers for carson, said he wasn't trading him, and had it not been for a "PERFECT STORM" of Al Davis' passing, not having anybody really in control, Jason Campbell getting hurt 1 week before the trade deadline (not after) and the Raider's being 4-2 and dedicating this season to Al Davis and thereby wanting to win this year, THEY NEVER WOULD HAVE GOTTEN SH*T.......If ALL THESE THINGS didn't happen, they would have ended up trading Palmer prior to next years draft for probably only a 2nd Rd Pick.....So sure, pat yourself and your boy Mikey on the back, because apparently there are 100 pages worth of you agreeing with how Mike Brown handled this.......DINK.........

If you actually believe that Mike Brown handled the cCarson Palmer situation the right way from the beginning, you're a F'n DINK.

Pimp... The fact is, very few people could manage to be as consistently wrong over the last 6 months as you have been. Whether is was your opinion that Mike Brown wasn't capable as a GM to get fair compensation for Palmer, your opinion that Andy Dalton would instantly bust, or your opinion that Derrick Ward (a player who currently has 39 yards on the season) would be an impressive upgrade over Cedric Benson.

Pimp... you've become a punchline.

Points/Laughs.

If you actually believe that Mike Brown handled the cCarson Palmer situation the right way from the beginning, you're a F'n DINK.

Pimp... The fact is, very few people could manage to be as consistently wrong over the last 6 months as you have been. Whether is was your opinion that Mike Brown wasn't capable as a GM to get fair compensation for Palmer, your opinion that Andy Dalton would instantly bust, or your opinion that Derrick Ward (a player who currently has 39 yards on the season) would be an impressive upgrade over Cedric Benson.

First, I never used the words "Impressive Upgrade" when describing Ward so get your sh*t right....If you'll recall he was 3rd on the list and put there as an "affordable" replacement with Bernard Scott getting a lot of carries. Ward got hurt.....oh well, i lobbied hard for DeAngelo Williams....You LOVE Benson, you're all over his jock and heaven forbid anyone point out his arrests, his yards per carry, the games in which he rushes 24 times for 53 yards (2 weeks ago) or 16 times for 57 yards (last week), his lack of TD's for a supposed "power runner" and the fact that he brings Zero to the receiving game, oh well that person must be a "dink".

I (just as many other football fans and analysts) thought Dalton and every Rookie QB would struggle not having a full training camp. Your hopes weren't realistic and were based mainly on being a fan, and your hatred for Carson (even though i remember somebody having an avatar of a dog wearing a bengals jersey with i believe a #9 on it?)......Dalton has played decent for a Rookie. He has been helped out tremendously by the Defense. I'm actually glad i was wrong about him. Now that Carson is no longer here, and it doesn't look like the Bengals will be in any position to have a chance at an Andrew Luck or Landry Jones, i throw all of my Bengal fan support behind Andy Dalton....There, you all heard it.....I still think Mike Brown is an Idiot, 1 trade where a team came begging TO HIM is not going to change my thinking. The Bengals still need a GM and a few more scouts to make sure they don't blow those drafts picks they just acquired.....

You LOVE Benson

No I don't. I wanted a RB in the 3rd round... but when the Dolphins traded up to get Daniel Thomas, it was obvious that Benson was the best option for 1 more year.

You HATE Benson... and it blinded your ability to see what is best for the current team.

I (just as many other football fans and analysts) thought Dalton and every Rookie QB would struggle not having a full training camp.

False. I think your quote about him was that "at best he will be mediocre someday."

Your Dalton hatred wasn't because you thought he would struggle as a rookie (something we all thought). You thought he would bust.

Quit backtracking. You were wrong. Take it like a man.

I still think Mike Brown is an Idiot.

It always comes back to this, doesn't it?

As I've stated before... if you think Mike Brown is an idiot because of his mistakes in the 90's, you must currently judge him by the same standard you used when you grew to hate him. And he is currently doing a very good job.

This is a young team that is full of talent... and by all appearances will be on the rise for a good chunk of time. The GM has done good.

So... Mike Brown may be an idiot my some measure - but he's certainly smarter than you.

Your Dalton hatred wasn't because you thought he would struggle as a rookie (something we all thought). You thought he would bust.

Quit backtracking. You were wrong. Take it like a man.

There's nothing to say that he won't bust. It's only been 6 games, and there has been both good and bad. BUT....again, now that Carson is 100% no longer on the team, and it doesn't look like we'll get one of the 2 absolute Stud QB's I really wanted (Luck or Jones) I support Dalton and hope he continues to improve. It looks like he's the guy, so I'm behind him. I am a little greedy though and want to see some bombs to AJ Green (which I really havent yet)

Hey, when it's all said and done, I'm a Bengal Fan, i want what's bets for the team......I am going to have my opinion, just as others will.....Sometimes I'm right, sometimes, I'm wrong. I also am man enough to admit it. I may have been wrong about Dalton.......But not about Mike Brown.....1 trade when a Team who came to you begging and offering you the world DOES NOT excuse what he has done to this franchise over the last 21 years.......