Carson Palmer Thread

NJ29

It's official!

/>https://twitter.com/#!/RAIDERS/status/126387631767556096/photo/1

@RAIDERS OAKLAND RAIDERS

The Oakland Raiders have acquired QB Carson Palmer via a trade with the Cincinnati Bengals

/>https://twitter.com/#!/RAIDERS/status/126387631767556096/photo/1/large

Man, Carson looks thin...

Anyhow, here's the official release from the bengals:

The Bengals today traded QB Carson Palmer to the Oakland Raiders. The Raiders will compensate the Bengals with their first-round choice in the 2012 draft and their second-round choice in the 2013 draft.

“Several factors made us believe that trading Carson to Oakland was the best move for the Bengals at this time,” said Bengals president Mike Brown. “The principal development has been Andy Dalton, who has shown himself to be one of the best and most exciting young quarterbacks in the NFL. We have a good, young football team, and Andy can be the cornerstone of that team for a long time.

“We also find ourselves rather suddenly in position of being able to receive real value for Carson that can measurably improve our team – which is performing well and is showing real promise for this year and years to come. When this opportunity arose, we felt we could not let it pass, and needed to take a step forward with the football team if we could.”

The Bengals drafted Palmer with the first overall pick in the 2003 draft. Palmer was with the team through last season, leading Cincinnati to AFC North Division championships in 2005 and ’09.

“Carson helped elevate the franchise here,” said Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis. “He played at a very high level for us, and I wish him well with the Raiders. We obviously have a strong belief in the ability of Andy Dalton to continue playing well and to be the leader of our offense. He has been exceptionally effective for a rookie, and as good as he has been, we know he has tremendous potential to be even better.”

Pending any future moves, the Bengals in 2012 will have two first-round draft choices for the first time since 1998, when LBs Takeo Spikes and Brian Simmons were chosen with the No. 13 and No. 17 selections. The Bengals obtained the No. 17 pick, along with a third-round choice, from the Washington Redskins in exchange for DT Dan Wilkinson.

What was absolutely NOT an accident was Mike Brown refusing to allow a player (Palmer) walk all over the franchise and get out any time he pleased. He stood his ground despite overwhelming criticism via the media and the fan base that he should simply let Palmer walk and get whatever was offered at the time.

And now it's paid off. We got more than we ever could have dreamed of, and the next time a player decides they want out they'll know full well that Mike Brown may very well force them to retire instead.

Of course Mike Brown couldn't foresee this exact circumstance, but it was absolutely, 100%, his management and decision-making that allowed this to come about. Accident? Hardly.

Allow me to take a break from this awesome Theology course I have to take to give my two cents.

Great day for the Bengals, Mike Brown, and us fans. No two ways about it.

I originally wanted Palmer to be traded immediately. My thought behind that was that his value wasn't going to increase at the start of next season and that with all the QB needy teams, they had an opportunity. Then the whole CBA squashed that happening. I was one who wanted them to hold out for proper compensation and YES, I thought they could still get a first rounder for him when others thought it was craziness. I find it odd that some who thought getting that first rounder was giving in and settling, but are praising the organization today. Which is it ??

I got exactly what I wanted in this. Carson is gone and the Bengals find themselves in a position to make some strides to continue to build the team around the youth that is exceeding expectations. Not only that, thanks to the new rookie wage scale, they will be able to do that on the cheap in comparison to Palmer's contract.

Where I was wrong was the thinking that Palmer not being traded would have a negative effect on Dalton and the team as a whole. I'm cool with being wrong about that. That goes a long way to showing how much improved this team is from a leadership standpoint and for that I will joyfully eat my share of crow. Thank you.

I still don't like the fact Mike Brown took the stance he did in what basically appeared to being more concerned about sticking it to the player as opposed to trying to improve the team, but it worked out. Call it luck if you like, but sometimes things work out and sometimes they don't. They did this time and I have little problem saying GOOD JOB for pulling this off. It just goes to show that no matter what is said, there is always a price that could change minds and opinions.

With all that being said, I do not wish good luck to Palmer. I wish him all the reaping a quitter sows.

I don't care what he did while he was here and look forward to him coming back next season and hearing him get blasted by the fans all game long.

This allows me yet another opportunity to say what you all know is coming next:

F*CK YOU CARSON !!!

According to Marvin in his presser, this is pretty much exactly how they envisioned it.

I get the impression that they've been working on this for quite a while. He said that Hue had expressed interest even before the Campbell injury and that Mike was just holding out until he could maximize the benefit to the team. He also said that Mike is far more patient than he is .

If you choose to believe Marvin, then it doesn't sound all that lucky to me.

Here's a thought. SoP dug in his heels because he felt truly betrayed by Palmer. In calling his bluff to retire, SoP was giving Palmer a nice retaliatory screwing in return. In agreeing to the trade, the screwing continues... SoP gets two 1st rounders, but Palmer has to live up to the whole two first rounders worth of expectation that Raider fan is going to have. Anyone who has watched Palmer stand flat footed in the pocket for a frickin eternity knows that he simply cannot live up to that expectation in Oakland. He'll either get killed or run out of town before his contract is up..

The reference to the last time we had two first rounders is important to note... Imagine what the addition of Spikes and Simmons would have been on a team this stacked with talent???

Luck no Luck who gives a crap, that quitter is finally off this team!! This has to be one of the best or even the best trade the bengals have made, since Brown has taken over. This team can continue to build its team through the draft like the good teams do, and continue to build its team around Andy Dalton. Best thing is now we can all move on knowing that Dalton is our QB, with hopes he will continue to grown and get better each and every week. Great trade MB

Glad Brown relented and took advantage of a desperate team willing to overpay.

Just keep him out of the draft room next year. Both of those extra picks should go towards OG's and/or LB's. ;)

Should be interesting to see what Palmer does in Oakland the rest of the year.

I don't have any negative feelings towards Palmer, hope he does well.

Just keep him out of the draft room next year. Both of those extra picks should go towards OG's and/or LB's. ;)

Since Trent Richardson plays running back I'm going to have to say you're wrong my friend. I wouldn't mind taking a guard in the 1st round if he's the BPA, but I think we'll be able to add an impact player at a value position regardless of who it is. As long as it isn't a WR, TE, OR QB I think that I could make an argument for almost any position.

I'd love to go safety and running back in round 1, followed by guard in round 2. The beauty of this all is that we still have 10 games left and we're 4-2!!! WHO DEY!!

Since Trent Richardson plays running back I'm going to have to say you're wrong my friend. I wouldn't mind taking a guard in the 1st round if he's the BPA, but I think we'll be able to add an impact player at a value position regardless of who it is. As long as it isn't a WR, TE, OR QB I think that I could make an argument for almost any position.

I'd love to go safety and running back in round 1, followed by guard in round 2. The beauty of this all is that we still have 10 games left and we're 4-2!!! WHO DEY!!

Why would you leave WR off the list for BPA when Simpson is a question mark? Everyone after Simpson is pretty much a role player and there is also a question mark of how Shipley will return after his injury....Michael Floyd!

Update on the 2013 conditional pick. Per Florio, citing someone with knowledge of the deal, it only upgrades from a second to a first round pick if Oakland wins in the divisional round. So if they are a wild card they would have to win 2 playoff games. And apparently they have to win that divisional game this year in order for the upgrade to happen.

Update on the 2013 conditional pick. Per Florio, citing someone with knowledge of the deal, it only upgrades from a second to a first round pick if Oakland wins in the divisional round. So if they are a wild card they would have to win 2 playoff games. And apparently they have to win that divisional game this year in order for the upgrade to happen.

Not likely... so I'll continue pulling for Palmer and the Raiders to fall flat on their faces.

Not likely... so I'll continue pulling for Palmer and the Raiders to fall flat on their faces.

What's the over/under on the number of Palmer pick 6's this year?

^_^

I had to log on and reply all the way over here in Hong Kong.

Its a good day. I love it.

Proud to be a Bengals fan at this time. We done good.

Bye Bye Palmer - Itll be good entertainment watching how your season unfolds.

Thank you Browns for setting this in motion.

Ok - gotta hop on a train to China - But this is a great entrance into the bye week.

When do we play the Raiders? Where?

Is Kimo available? kidding

WHO DEY!!!!