Carson Palmer Thread

NJ29

As Josh was kind enough to remind us all, Carson in Cincy in July is old news. This was the whole Willie Anderson kerfuffle.

Well, as you may recall I lost all ability to access the internet for about a week or so and as a result I managed to miss the entire Willie Anderson kerfuffle as it happened. I did read some of the older posts that dealt with the rumor but I confess without any hesitation that I still don't understand everything that was said or how it relates to actual events. All I do know is it was roughly in late July or early August when Brown's position on Palmer seemed to shift from "we still like him and want him back" to the more angry and direct "we will not reward him" stance. So if there really was a meeting, and it seems now that there was, it's a good bet it went very badly.

700 wlw said carson is at the stadium right now.

I'm fired up. He better not pull this. Stick it to him Mikey.

I have no idea where this will go, but for those of you who want to move on....I say this has to happen. Because I really do believe that Mike Brown's biggest goal isn't forcing Carson Palmer back onto the team itself, but more importantly....the balance sheet.

Or if you prefer, nothing is going to happen until the guy who swore he'd never set foot in PBS again sets foot again in PBS.

So if there really was a meeting, and it seems now that there was, it's a good bet it went very badly.

That appears to be exactly what happened. Carson showed up just after the lockout ended. Mike thought he was there to say he'd changed his mind. Instead, Carson reiterated his trade demand, and Mike replied, "There's the door."

As to what, if anything, is going on now, I dunno. In addition to everything else the Carson-to-Seattle rumors have bubbled up again...

So if there really was a meeting, and it seems now that there was, it's a good bet it went very badly.

That appears to be exactly what happened. Carson showed up just after the lockout ended. Mike thought he was there to say he'd changed his mind. Instead, Carson reiterated his trade demand, and Mike replied, "There's the door."

As to what, if anything, is going on now, I dunno. In addition to everything else the Carson-to-Seattle rumors have bubbled up again...

This is so dumb.

Carson's value is very high right now. Roster cut down day. Unproven, questionable starters could develop and solidify, thereby droping Carson's value to many teams (Seattle, Miami, SF, etc.) Now is the time to move him, and demand a king's ransom. SoP surely realizes it.

SoP needs to make a move that nets the team very high value. If not, he is essentially punishing the potential development of the team (value for Carson in the form of high draft picks) for something he himself does with regularity, ie going back on a contract.

I would demand an r1 and an r2 for Carson and our r4. Seattle would take that in an instant. Probably why the Jennings deal (which was a skewed for us) went though, as a precursor to moving Carson out there, as well why Carroll keeps rolling with TJackson as the named starter when it is clear he is terrible.

From Cincy Jungle....

Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer and his agent David Dunn have been seen at Paul Brown Stadium Saturday morning, according to a (protected) tweet from 700 WLW producer James Bedingfield.

Per Florio, neither Carson nor Dunn are in Cincy. So apparently the report from WLW was BS.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/03/carson-palmer-isnt-in-cincinnati-yet/

It appears you can trust tweets about as far as you can trust farts.

I read a blurb yesterday that laid out the groundwork for a potential trade involving Seattle. Long story short the writer went to great lengths to explain how the addition of Palmer would solve all of the Seahawks most pressing problems, and best, due to the circumstances surrounding Palmer and the Bengals, could probably be had for as little as a 5th round pick.

I read a blurb yesterday that laid out the groundwork for a potential trade involving Seattle. Long story short the writer went to great lengths to explain how the addition of Palmer would solve all of the Seahawks most pressing problems, and best, due to the circumstances surrounding Palmer and the Bengals, could probably be had for as little as a 5th round pick.

A 5th? Sounds a little low to me.

A 5th? Sounds a little low to me.

I'll go further than that. It sounds unrealistic. Which sums up rather neatly how I feel about the rumors I've read. But that said, the rumor of a single 5th round pick matches the compensation being speculated in early rumors involving Seattle....so at the very least it's a bad rumor that refuses to die.

I'm curious about what others are hearing, if anything.

In what a year and a half, Chad went from a 2 first round pick trade with Washington, to a low round pick trade with the Pats. You really never can tell these days what someone's value is when you have millions in dollars of salary involved. I would think Carson would at least be worth a 2nd rounder and some other pick.

Per Florio, neither Carson nor Dunn are in Cincy. So apparently the report from WLW was BS.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/03/carson-palmer-isnt-in-cincinnati-yet/

Bulls**t made-up stuff on WLW?

That is shocking shocking stuff...

I'm curious about what others are hearing, if anything.

Not much. The latest dustup seems to trace back to a Seattle radio appearance a few days ago by Florio, where he fielded a question about whether Carson could show up in Cincy and force his way out and thus be a possibility for the Seahawks. Florio basically said sure, anything's possible.

There's also speculation (completely unfounded as far as I can tell) that Palmer is ticketed for SF, that a handshake deal or at least parameters are in place, that us getting Mays from SF for a bag of dirt was part of the process to grease the skids and it'll all happen after the Cincy/9ers game since Mike doesn't want to deal him now and then have him come to town and beat the Bengals. I think that's getting into "the moon is made of green cheese" territory, but who knows.

The one thing that does concern me a bit is the report that the late July meeting went badly, with both side coming out of it pissed off. That suggests things could get really ugly if Carson does try and pull something next week.

There's also speculation (completely unfounded as far as I can tell) that Palmer is ticketed for SF, that a handshake deal or at least parameters are in place, that us getting Mays from SF for a bag of dirt was part of the process to grease the skids and it'll all happen after the Cincy/9ers game since Mike doesn't want to deal him now and then have him come to town and beat the Bengals. I think that's getting into "the moon is made of green cheese" territory, but who knows.

You're right. That rumor sounds pretty unrealistic.

And the only way Palmer gets traded this season is if he reports. The Bengals won't be benefited this season by trading him... so why not wait until April, when you know exactly what you are getting in return?

The one thing that does concern me a bit is the report that the late July meeting went badly, with both side coming out of it pissed off. That suggests things could get really ugly if Carson does try and pull something next week.

Agreed again. Although, with all the nonsense that surrounds this, I wonder if they could suspend Palmer for 4 games for conduct detrimental to the team. It would not be hard to argue that his motivation to show up is to hurt the Bengals.

So... he would have to write MB a check for more than a $1 million (39 days of not reporting) and a suspension would buy MB a month to find a trade partner. And that actually merges quite nicely with the 49ers trade rumor.

It's still all just made up though. I'll be very surprised if he shows up.

I wouldn't have guessed it possible, but that might be even less realistic than the Seattle based rumor I keep stumbling over.

At least the WLW rumor was plausible even if the most likely scenario is based upon Palmer and his agent showing up at the last minute with trade proposals and so-called letters of interest signed by a dozens NFL GM's. Or for that matter, just one.

BTW, on a completely unrelated note....

Has anyone seen the pictures showing how fat Mike Brown has gotten? I confess I'm starting to worry about the old goat. He now has the physical shape of a man who is sitting in a chair even when standing. It's practically Lippincottian. Or if you prefer, he looks like a walking talking human butter sculpture. And while I'm speaking of soft creamy butter goodness I would be remiss not to mention Marvin Lewis's ever expanding buddha belly.

Hopefully, the ladies of Bengaldom have shown a bit more discipline than the men this offseason, and our beloved Pumkie has kept her girlish figure.

Memo from the shark has been jumped, the fridge has been nuked Dep't: Bengals leaked Carson's potential return because they think Dalton sucks.

I can't imagine how insane the rumor mill will get if the Bengals don't win a few games early...

Thats freakin bull, if they were that concerned then they would start Gradkoski, or better yet go get Garrard. If they feel he is that bad, then why would they continue to let him play then, that article makes no sense to me.

that article makes no sense to me.

If it did, I would suggest you seek professional help.

Maybe it's the whole compressed six-week post-lockout offseason or something, but when it comes to Bengals commentary by the mainstream sports media, it's like the crazy has been refined down to 99 & 44/100s percent pure and mainlined right out on the net.

that article makes no sense to me.

If it did, I would suggest you seek professional help.

Maybe it's the whole compressed six-week post-lockout offseason or something, but when it comes to Bengals commentary by the mainstream sports media, it's like the crazy has been refined down to 99 & 44/100s percent pure and mainlined right out on the net.

I love the "feel" of this article. Rotoworld.com reports that Jason Cole from Yahoo THINKS that blah, blah, blah, blah.

We're now "reporting" what people "think". Wow. Just wow.

Florio is reporting on PFT that Carson Palmer has been working out for the last few weeks with former Jet QB Ken O'Brien. Maybe after the Colts found out Manning might be gone for the year they called the Bengals and made them an offer they couldn't refuse? They probably offered all those Mayflower moving trucks in exchange of taking over Palmer's contract?