Carson Palmer Thread

NJ29

Here's the espn story.

A Cincinnati Bengals front office source said quarterback Carson Palmer was at Paul Brown Stadium in late July and met with owner/GM Mike Brown, according to ESPN's Bob Holtzman.

Palmer, who has four years left on his contract, told one of the NFL's least-successful franchises in January that he would retire if he's not traded. The Bengals have had two winning seasons in the last 20 years, one of the worst stretches of futility in league history.

Bengals front office sources told Holtzman it is possible Palmer could report to the Bengals next week. The 31-year-old Palmer has never filed retirement papers, so the team would be obligated to pay him or trade him.

Brown has said the team will not trade Palmer, who is scheduled to make $11.5 million this season if he plays.

A source close to Palmer told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter said nothing has changed in terms of Palmer's situation.

Last week the Bengals waived Palmer's younger brother Jordan Palmer, giving older brother Carson more reason to stay away.

Jordan was the No. 2 quarterback last season behind his brother, and was signed to another contract at the start of training camp, hoping to get a chance to compete for a job. But it became clear quickly that Cincinnati had other plans.

Brown has said rookie Andy Dalton will get the starting nod. The Bengals also signed veteran Bruce Gradkowski in the offseason.

So it appears reports that Carson may show are all coming from the Bengals...

F**k that. Tell him to take a long walk off a short pier!

So it appears reports that Carson may show are all coming from the Bengals...

Reports?

Plural?

And all of them COMING from the Bengals?

Maybe there's more to it but the blurb you posted seemed to be a manufactored story. As if somebody asked a Bengal staffer if it was possible Palmer might return and then wrote a "report" based upon the only true answer anyone could give. Yeah, it's possible he might come back. And pigs might fly some day.

• Like 1

Maybe there's more to it but the blurb you posted seemed to be a manufactored story. somebody asked a Bengal staffer if it was possible Palmer might return and then wrote a "report" based upon the only true answer anyone could give. Yeah, it's possible he might come back. And pigs might fly some day.

Yeah, that's pretty much my take on it as well. In other words, nothing to see here. But it does help us on our quest for an epic 100-page thread.

I was serious when I asked the question about Allah. I want to know your guys feelings on how the media would react if a player in a postgame interview thanked Allah for his performance.

The same as if a player thanked God. Not much.

I was serious when I asked the question about Allah. I want to know your guys feelings on how the media would react if a player in a postgame interview thanked Allah for his performance.

The thing that throws me is, I have never seen it happen. I have watched A LOT of sports and never seen it. Have you?

The thing that throws me is, I have never seen it happen. I have watched A LOT of sports and never seen it. Have you?

Nope.

Nope.

Mike Tyson did it.

Nope.

Mike Tyson did it.

Yes, I believe you are right. Of coarse coming from Mike Tyson you could hear anything.

OK. According to this report from Joe Reedy today, the Bengals reached out to Palmer last week.

The Bengals made another call to Palmer’s representatives last week, according to league sources, before they released Palmer’s younger brother, Jordan. Whether any of the overtures would resolve the situation was unclear, but it was the first sign of dialogue in the saga since Palmer, the Bengals’ starting quarterback since 2004, told the Bengals in the offseason he would retire if he was not traded.

All reports from the Palmer side of things say there's no change, he's not coming back, etc.

I haven't been on here all day and am surprised at the minimal commentary on this site. The national media has been chatting this up all afternoon and evening. It's funny how the perspective can be so different.

And I figured we'd be at 90 pages by now too!

I haven't been on here all day and am surprised at the minimal commentary on this site. The national media has been chatting this up all afternoon and evening. It's funny how the perspective can be so different.

What I think would be funny, is to see Palmer come back and have his vehicle Shane Falco'd out in the parking lot by all the teammates he turned his back on.

Let's say for fun, that Palmer did have a serious change of heart and wants to come back to the Bengals. Is there anything he could possibly do that would win back the hearts of his coaches, teammates, and the fans? Say for instance if he donated an entire years salary to the local Children's Hospital or something?

Not sure what to add jjak. Espn has has lost their minds. Or have been ao wedded to an agenda to slag the bengals that is making them lose their minds.

There was nothing new in holzman's report. Nothing. But the entire network has used holzman's nothing report to beg carson to report. Its almost weird.

Not sure what to add jjak. Espn has has lost their minds. Or have been ao wedded to an agenda to slag the bengals that is making them lose their minds.

There was nothing new in holzman's report. Nothing. But the entire network has used holzman's nothing report to beg carson to report. Its almost weird.

I agree mem, it's a little silly.....let's check with Bob Holtzman for his report....and oh here's John Clayton with his opinion. WTF!

I commend the team for trying to break the ice. With the lockout going on, they obviously couldn't talk directly to him until it was over. And kudos to Carson if he actually made the trip to meet with the team. Pretty good coverup by all parties involved too. But in the end it's a whole lot of nothing.

I had a friend that lived in the Akron area and was on campus at Kent State during the shootings. He said he was amazed how the local media portrayed the events as compared to the national media. Two different sides and two different stories about what took place if you didn't know any better.

As Adam West/Batman would say, "back to your lives citizens, nothing to see here."

Is there anything he could possibly do that would win back the hearts of his coaches, teammates, and the fans? Say for instance if he donated an entire years salary to the local Children's Hospital or something?

Money won't do it. Let's say he donates an organ, that would get me back in his corner. So all he has to do is become the first living organ donor, and he can come back to Cincinnati.

Mike probably will trade him if Carson will pro-rate the signing bonus over the life of the extension, and pay back the part he skipped out on.

My wife's a complete bitch tonight.

I commend the team for trying to break the ice. With the lockout going on, they obviously couldn't talk directly to him until it was over. And kudos to Carson if he actually made the trip to meet with the team. Pretty good coverup by all parties involved too. But in the end it's a whole lot of nothing.

What's less than nothing?

I haven't seen anything that states when the visit occured beyond the deliberately vague...sometime in July. But that neatly coincides with the timeframe when Mike Brown dropped the gloves and pleasantries to angrily proclaim Carson Palmer would not be rewarded.

I haven't seen anything that states when the visit occured beyond the deliberately vague...sometime in July. But that neatly coincides with the timeframe when Mike Brown dropped the gloves and pleasantries to angrily proclaim Carson Palmer would not be rewarded.

As Josh was kind enough to remind us all, Carson in Cincy in July is old news. This was the whole Willie Anderson kerfuffle.

The only bit of new information that dribbled out was that according to Reedy the Bengals apparently contacted Palmer before they axed his brother, which I can only interpret as a "OK one last chance come back or we cut your bro who we only kept to keep you happy" call. In other words, most of us may have moved on, but we're still dragging Mike kicking and screaming behind us.