CONFIRMED: Brat Fired

membengal

1. Trade Palmer and our r2 pick for the r1 pick of any of these: SF/Tenn./Wash/Minny/Miami (If you love someone, set them free).

I don't think there is any way we have to give Palmer and a pick to get one of those teams 1st's you mentioned. As a matter of fact, giving Palmer should net us their first and a comp pick the following draft that's conditional on how Palmer plays. With the new OC coming in (especially from the outside), no better time than to bring in a new QB.

Having a GM would REALLY help right about now.

Man lay off the pipe, we are not getting a first round pick straight up for just Palmer. Second round pick at best.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Trade Palmer and our r2 pick for the r1 pick of any of these: SF/Tenn./Wash/Minny/Miami (If you love someone, set them free).

I don't think there is any way we have to give Palmer and a pick to get one of those teams 1st's you mentioned. As a matter of fact, giving Palmer should net us their first and a comp pick the following draft that's conditional on how Palmer plays. With the new OC coming in (especially from the outside), no better time than to bring in a new QB.

Man lay off the pipe, we are not getting a first round pick straight up for just Palmer. Second round pick at best.

Easily a first and more for Palmer. Easy. Anything less and I wouldn't trade him.

Believe it or not. Some teams out there are salivating at getting a proven QB. They aren't easy to find.

Does this

Everybody just settle down. Here's how this week will look:

Monday: Bratkowski, zampese and alexander are fired

mean that Jonah really and truly is a sage?

If thats the case - dude, I need the lotto numbers for this week asap, please.

More importantly, does this mean I'll be launching Space Monkeys out of my butt come Saturday? ^_^

Does this

Everybody just settle down. Here's how this week will look:

Monday: Bratkowski, zampese and alexander are fired

mean that Jonah really and truly is a sage?

If thats the case - dude, I need the lotto numbers for this week asap, please.

More importantly, does this mean I'll be launching Space Monkeys out of my butt come Saturday? ^_^

Fire one!

I have zero doubts about it. Go look at what QB's are traded for these days and tell me why the 49er's wouldn't give up their first this year ?? There are NO first round QB's in this draft and none that are looked upon as being a starter without a couple of years in the league. NONE. Palmer going to the 49er's, in that weak ass division, equals playoffs and there is little doubt to that.

Hobs' latest update says that a new OC could be announced by Wednesday and suggests he's from the college ranks.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Search-for-Brat-replacement-nears-end/7061323d-da21-4d4c-b063-eadb5893b1dd

Ooooo Wonder who it could be... Norm Chow? Guy From Wisconsin maybe someone from Pitt?(marvin being in love with the city and all)

From Doc. He makes some valid points. In the end I am happy that what we were all calling for was actually done, poorly timed or mishandled as it was.

http://news.cincinna...ire-Bratkowski-

You can't tell me anyone inside PBS needed nearly a month to realize the offense was a mess. This wasn't a studied decision. Someone's knee jerked.

Who gets the gig? Do they stay in house and look to Ken Zampese, the QBs coach, or assistant head coach and line coach Paul Alexander? Mike Sheppard has run NFL offenses. Does he get a look?

---------------------------------

It's ironic that Bratkowski's double-wide playbook produced such predictable play-calling. When Stan in Section 213 can predict every play in a three-down series, you might have a problem.

Bratkowski favored a one-back, three-wideout, pocket-QB system, in a division that needs a fullback and a brass-knuckles running game. He freighted his players with so much terminology, sometimes they thought instead of reacted. You can't play football that way.

He sometimes had Dennis Roland playing right tackle on 1st and 2nd downs, and Anthony Collins playing on 3rd down. That meant Collins might not get in consistently, and when he did, it was on the loudest down in a series, often against a speed rusher in an obvious passing situation. No wonder the Bengals spent a lot of time starting falsely and moving illegally and delaying games .

Hobs' latest update says that a new OC could be announced by Wednesday and suggests he's from the college ranks.

http://www.bengals.c...63-eadb5893b1dd

Earlier this afternoon Dave Lapham said that Marvin shares in some of the blame here as well. He could have been more involved or more focused on what his vision of the offense should have been this season. But my opinion is that they were all afraid of the backlash from TO and Chad if they started pounding it. So we pacify those two and go 4-12 for our efforts.

Anyway I found a few of these comments in the article very telling and sad that it took this long to right the ship. Brat should be commended for rewriting the record book and moved past the dephs of the Akili era while he was here but the sum of their successes was never beneficial to the success of the team.

Bratkowski had some happy days here. After Boomer Esiason went to the Monday night booth in 1998, the Bengals' passing game fell off the end of the earth and then head coach Dick LeBeau opted to replace offensive coordinator Ken Anderson in 2001 with Bratkowski, the Steelers wide receivers coach that had coordinated two NCAA champions at Miami and an NFL offensive leader in Seattle under Dennis Erickson. It was Erickson who brought Bratkowski into the NFL with the Seahawks in 1992.

Free-agent quarterback Jon Kitna, who played under Bratkowski in Seattle, gave the Bengals a shot in the arm until Palmer was ready with 54 TD passes from 2001-2003. That was after they had all of six TD throws in 2000. The Erickson-Bratkowski connection was also central in the club drafting a pair of Erickson's wide receivers at Oregon State in 2001, The Ocho in the second round and T.J. Houshmandzadeh in the seventh, and they turned into the Bengals' best receiving tandem in history.

Under Palmer and Bratkowski, the Bengals set individual season highs for passer rating (Palmer in 2005), receptions (Houshmandzadeh in 2007), receiving yards (Ocho in 2007), and rushing yards (Rudi Johnson in 2005).

But it proved to be a volatile mix and the individual numbers never translated into playoff wins.

From Doc. He makes some valid points. In the end I am happy that what we were all calling for was actually done, poorly timed or mishandled as it was.

http://news.cincinna...ire-Bratkowski-

You can't tell me anyone inside PBS needed nearly a month to realize the offense was a mess. This wasn't a studied decision. Someone's knee jerked.

Who gets the gig? Do they stay in house and look to Ken Zampese, the QBs coach, or assistant head coach and line coach Paul Alexander? Mike Sheppard has run NFL offenses. Does he get a look?

---------------------------------

It's ironic that Bratkowski's double-wide playbook produced such predictable play-calling. When Stan in Section 213 can predict every play in a three-down series, you might have a problem.

Bratkowski favored a one-back, three-wideout, pocket-QB system, in a division that needs a fullback and a brass-knuckles running game. He freighted his players with so much terminology, sometimes they thought instead of reacted. You can't play football that way.

He sometimes had Dennis Roland playing right tackle on 1st and 2nd downs, and Anthony Collins playing on 3rd down. That meant Collins might not get in consistently, and when he did, it was on the loudest down in a series, often against a speed rusher in an obvious passing situation. No wonder the Bengals spent a lot of time starting falsely and moving illegally and delaying games .

Yea maybe it is alittle to late, but there has to be a reason why it happened now. It sounds like Brat was gone from the end of the season, but for some reason they kept Brat, and im guessing because of the senior bowl. Everybody is so mad because they missed out on big name OC, but i think they have had certain canidates all along, and with them going to hire one very soon that tells me they had this planed out for awhile!!!!

Anyway I found a few of these comments in the article very telling and sad that it took this long to right the ship. Brat should be commended for rewriting the record book and moved past the dephs of the Akili era while he was here but the sum of their successes was never beneficial to the success of the team.

Maybe, maybe not. It all turned on one play at the start of the 2005 playoff game. Everyone remembers Carson getting his leg ripped off by Kimo Von Kneecapper. Few recall that the play was a 70 yard completion to Chris Henry (also hurt on the play).

Then we spent the next couple years watching the o-line, which had allowed only about 12 sacks in all of '05, collapse.

Brat can be blamed for plenty, but once upon a time he had the talent and but for a cheap shot it might have gone all the way.

Water. Bridge. Under. Next.

Maybe, maybe not. It all turned on one play at the start of the 2005 playoff game. Everyone remembers Carson getting his leg ripped off by Kimo Von Kneecapper. Few recall that the play was a 70 yard completion to Chris Henry (also hurt on the play).

Then we spent the next couple years watching the o-line, which had allowed only about 12 sacks in all of '05, collapse.

Brat can be blamed for plenty, but once upon a time he had the talent and but for a cheap shot it might have gone all the way.

Water. Bridge. Under. Next.

True. I couple that with the Pollack injury in Week 2 and ODells DUI after the Week 3 defeat of the Steelers in Pittsburgh in 2006. The shark was jumped at that point.

On a side note, thanks Mem for starting a thread "willing" this to happen.

Care to start another thread "willing" something to happen ??

I've got a few suggestions...

Consider the "Chad watch" thread I started round two of our collective efforts to make stuff happen.

I am thrilled that phase one was successful.

How to run a football franchise, by the Green Bay Packers
/>http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=hruby/110131

Compared to mortgaged-backed securities, collateralized debt obligations and some of the other complex -- read: crappy -- financial products pushed by Wall Street in recent years, owning an NFL club might be one of the least risky investments going. Likewise, while publicly owned franchises theoretically ought to labor under the same inefficiencies common to municipal bureaucracies, Green Bay is a remarkably well-run club, financially and competitively. Can the privately owned Cincinnati Bengals say the same?

Stability. Security. A shared sense of purpose between fans and teams. If the Packers model seems too good to be true, that's because it is: In 1960, the league wrote a rule into its own constitution prohibiting additional nonprofit, publicly owned teams. Why should the great unwashed enjoy any of the money-printing, antitrust-exempted fun? Nevertheless, when Green Bay takes the field for Super Bowl XLV -- possibly the last pro football game of the calendar year -- it will be nice to imagine a better alternative.

Hobson said today was the day but so far...nada.

FWIW the rumor mill did spit out a new name today, though: Jay Gruden, currently HC of the Virginia Destroyers (formerly the Florida Tuskers).

I have to wonder if the weather around the country is having any impact on this process. In most cases we probably aren't able to can't go interview someone and they can't come here either.

I have to wonder if the weather around the country is having any impact on this process. In most cases we probably aren't able to can't go interview someone and they can't come here either.

Could be, but given the quickness with which they were supposed to announce a replacement, the thinking was that they already had someone picked out.

I could see them wanting to have him in town for the announcement though and maybe a flight got delayed or cancelled...?