CONFIRMED: Brat Fired

membengal

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Norm chow would be fine. Worked w/ carson at usc, right?

I think so but I believe he took the Utah job last week so I'm not seeing it...

He was either the QB coach or the OC at USC as Carson ascended their. He was also the OC for the Titans after they drafted Vince Young. From what I remember he is considered somewhat abrasive but I am not sure what that means or plays into this. Not sure if he would leave Utah after just accepting the position there.

My thought is that Zampese might get promoted. This would keep some form of continuity with the play names and formations but it wouldn't be the same stale play-calling.

Also, the cynical side of me wonders if this would have taken place if the Carson thing had not happened last week?

From Thorton:
/>http://www.allproblogger.com/2011/01/31/report-bratkowski-out/

Who made this decision will be the next question. And who replaces coach Brat will tell you the answer. If the next coach comes from a ball control type offense, I would say it was Marvin’s call. If it’s a coach that has a West Coast, QB friendly background, it was the call of Bengals owner/GM Mike Brown to make re-recruit Carson.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-Bratkowski-out-after-10-seasons/7061323d-da21-4d4c-b063-eadb5893b1dd

"I want to thank Bob for his role in helping us win two division championships," said head coach Marvin Lewis, "but after reviewing our season in depth, we've decided it's best for the team to make this change at this time." Bratkowski joined the Bengals in 2001 as offensive coordinator and completed his 10th season in the job in 2010.

"Bob is an intelligent coach and as fine an individual as you will find in the profession," said Bengals president Mike Brown. "Though the time is right for us to make a change, I thank him for his service here and wish him the best."

I find the move to be necessary and proper, though perhaps 3 years late.

As for candidates for the OC position, when I read the statement on the .com that the OC is the "only change" coming, who can they expect to attract if that person is inheriting the likes of Alexander, Zampese, Sheppard and Anderson?

Granted, if I were an coach seeking out or being considered for the job, I'd want a say in who is on my staff. Perhaps that is too much to ask of the Brown's? Maybe the simple act of firing Brat will be enough to get things going in the right direction?

All I can say is this has given me a very nice start to my week.

Hate to hear about anyone losing their job, but this was a no-brainer in my book. I think it will end up being Zampese. I'm not completely sold on Childress, although he will fit the mold that Marvin is looking for in wanting to get back to a power running game.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out and what Carson will end up thinking about the change.

Granted, if I were an coach seeking out or being considered for the job, I'd want a say in who is on my staff. Perhaps that is too much to ask of the Brown's?

Interestingly, Hobson's earlier version of the Brat-is-out story said that Brad Childress was offered the OC spot and declined. The later version softened that to something like "he interviewed but chose not to join the organization." I wouldn't be surprised if the issue of staff (namely not being able to name his own) turned Chilly off. And I have to think it would be a big hurdle for many others, too