CONFIRMED: Brat Fired

membengal

To go along with your timeline, late last week Marvin made some reference to Carson being the focus of the team, etc. This would have been after this supposed meeting between Carson and MB. Based on the events of the last month and last week, you are right. After seeing these feeble attempts at "doing something", Carson's camp dutifully leaked the trade request. And who said agents only use the media and experts to promote just college guys?

Good point. Clearly they thought that the fecal matter was about to impact the rotating air-circulation system and were hoping a last-minute stroke job plus waving the "see, we're gonna change, look, really, look, we're gonna change, for real!!!!" flag in the media would stop Carson from pushing the issue. But it didn't, which only stiffens my belief that despite the massive pile of $$ he'd be giving up, Palmer may really be serious about calling it a career.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the post-season timeline that's emerged in the wake of Carson's "trade me" campaign, I've begun to suspect that the dalliance with Chilly was intended to sooth Carson.

If reports are accurate, Carson met with mike early last week to ask for a trade. This would be after all the no-changes piled up: Marvin back, Brat still here, Chad coming back, etc. While Palmer gets denied by The Boss, his request causes enough concern that Marvin gets the OK to talk to Childress. Probably not to replace Brat, at least immediately, but maybe about coming on board in a consulting role.

This would help explain why the Marvin/Chilly dinner was so strangely public -- to ensure that word would get to Palmer without making it seem like they were giving in to him in any way.

Either Chilly wasn't interested or Carson wasn't impressed, because Camp Palmer went ahead and launched its campaign. Either way, no Chilly.

So no, in hindsight I don't think the front office was very interested in Chilly. He may have just been caught up in a budding battle between ownership and the franchise QB.

I don't think even MB is that dumb to think that Carson would be impressed with who Marvin has dinner with. He knows, like us fans do that nothing's changed until someone gets hired or fired. How many of us fans were impressed that Marvin had dinner with Chilly and thought that Happy Days are Here Again in Bengaldom?

I don't think even MB is that dumb to think that Carson would be impressed with who Marvin has dinner with. He knows, like us fans do that nothing's changed until someone gets hired or fired. How many of us fans were impressed that Marvin had dinner with Chilly and thought that Happy Days are Here Again in Bengaldom?

Well, if you look upthread there were plenty of posters here who were interested in Childress. But yes, I agree that the whole bit was a desperation heave that had little hope of dissuading Carson from launching his bid to get out of Siberia.

Bernie Kosar...anyone?...Beuhler?

/>http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/index.ssf/2011/01/bernie_kosar_could_join_the_ne.html

WKNR's Tony Rizzo is reporting that the Cincinnati Bengals are talking to Kosar about a position.

As what a coach, what kind of coach QB coach. Or would this mean a front office positon, kind of confused there. Sounds like the Pats are talking to him too

http://www.cleveland...oin_the_ne.html

WKNR's Tony Rizzo is reporting that the Cincinnati Bengals are talking to Kosar about a position.

WTF?

From Lance's blog:

Kosar on WKNR

Bernie joined Munch in the Morning WKNR radio in Cleveland Thursday morning.

He talked about being invited by a couple of teams/friends in the NFL to be at the Senior Bowl this week.

He said he's developed a reputation for being able to pick out talent.

He said teams are always looking for ways to get better...looking for edges when it comes to finding players.

He denied he was employed by any NFL teams...but was exploring it and researching it.

He makes no specific mention of working with the Bengals.

Podcast: http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=70&c=634&f=68162

http://www.cleveland...oin_the_ne.html

WTF?

From Lance's blog:

Kosar on WKNR

Bernie joined Munch in the Morning WKNR radio in Cleveland Thursday morning.

He talked about being invited by a couple of teams/friends in the NFL to be at the Senior Bowl this week.

He said he's developed a reputation for being able to pick out talent.

He said teams are always looking for ways to get better...looking for edges when it comes to finding players.

He denied he was employed by any NFL teams...but was exploring it and researching it.

He makes no specific mention of working with the Bengals.

Podcast: http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=70&c=634&f=68162

More Bengals PR spin to keep people hanging onto their season tickets. I doubt Kosar would end up here.

More Bengals PR spin to keep people hanging onto their season tickets. I doubt Kosar would end up here.

From Lance's blog:

"Bengals asked Kosar to ID, grade draftable QBs. He declined but fluid situation"

Armando Salguero, Miami Herald, on Twitter......@ArmandoSalguero

From Lance's blog:

"Bengals asked Kosar to ID, grade draftable QBs. He declined but fluid situation"

Armando Salguero, Miami Herald, on Twitter......@ArmandoSalguero

He declined? - Or mumbled and stuttered incoherently until the reporter gave up?

John Thornton weighs in on some young talent evaluators to add to the current staff
/>http://www.allproblogger.com/2011/01/29/if-im-hiring/

I think that teams should hire young scouts to assist older scouts that may be in place. Younger scouts can stay out on the road longer, younger scouts can stand and watch a 3 hour college practice, younger scouts can understand today’s athletes a little bit better, even hanging out incognito in college bars or using Facebook to gather info on college players. Older scouts/talent evaluators with more experience can get those reports and double check using their own eyes and use their own connections to make sure that the evaluation of the young scout is a good one. Scouting players today might be a little different than it was 10-15 years ago.

Reedy's web chat from yesterday.
/>http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2011/01/28/bengals-chat-at-noon-today/

He mentions tagging Benson might be the only way to keep him next year.

He also said he talked to Brat in Mobile and he said the team would be more run-oriented next year.

John Thornton weighs in on some young talent evaluators to add to the current staff

I think that teams should hire young scouts to assist older scouts that may be in place. Younger scouts can stay out on the road longer, younger scouts can stand and watch a 3 hour college practice, younger scouts can understand today’s athletes a little bit better, even hanging out incognito in college bars or using Facebook to gather info on college players. Older scouts/talent evaluators with more experience can get those reports and double check using their own eyes and use their own connections to make sure that the evaluation of the young scout is a good one. Scouting players today might be a little different than it was 10-15 years ago.

So Thornton, what you are saying is, that white, wet stuff falling from the sky is snow ??

Wow, I always wondered about that...

He also said he talked to Brat in Mobile and he said the team would be more run-oriented next year.

F*ck tagging Benson. Get DeAngelo Williams and pay him...

Once again why tag a player that does not want to be here!!! He said if there were no change he didnt want to be here....well there has been no change.

Tag JJoe he said he wouldnt mind being tagged, so tag the guy that wants to be here.

So Thornton, what you are saying is, that white, wet stuff falling from the sky is snow ??

Wow, I always wondered about that...

F*ck tagging Benson. Get DeAngelo Williams and pay him...

agreed if your going pay top 5 back money may as well get a younger one,Though I still prefer tagging Joseph keeping him and hall together long as possible.

http://cincinnati.co...-at-noon-today/

Here are a couple of more noteworthy comments

Which player is least likely to be back?

You could make a case for either one, but considering how bad this offense could be next season taking away CP, OchoSon, TO and Benson, I would be inclined to think it would be Benson. The tag on a corner might be over $10 million this season.

---------------------

do you see any thoughts on trading down in this draft?

If you can get multiple picks, I would like to see them do it, but the last time they did they ended up screwing it up taking Perry instead of Jackson

---------------------

Any chance that the Bengals can do enough things to make Carson feel like sticking at least 1 more year?

It would have to entail getting rid of the one person that everyone else wants to see gone, and right now if you're franchise QB can't even get MB to do that, I don't know what would get him out

---------------------

Throughout all this nonsense we keep hearing that Kaite and Marvin have been trying to sway Mike towards certain things (New OC, etc). Do you get the sense that Katie is trying to have Mike make significant changes?

I think a lot of people are trying to sway Mike and right now he's not budging. Mike's whole outlook is that the fans will come back if they start winning again, but considering what has happened here over the past 20 years that's not an easy equation. Too much ill will

---------------------

Who does Carson object to most - Brat or Marvin? Also - what's the chances that Chad is a Bengal for the 2011 season - assuming here is one?

I think it's Bob more than Marvin at the moment. There's a higher probability of Carson being a Bengal next season before Chad. It would best serve everyone if Chad kept quiet because right now he's lobbing softball comments that Marvin can just crush out of the ballpark

---------------------

Is Bratkowski staying? Are we going to be stuck with 500 off tackle plays next year?

Right now barring an abrupt change in course, he's staying. Mike Brown doesn't pay people who aren't working and Bratkowski is under contract for one more season.

http://cincinnati.co...-at-noon-today/

Here are a couple of more noteworthy comments

Which player is least likely to be back?

You could make a case for either one, but considering how bad this offense could be next season taking away CP, OchoSon, TO and Benson, I would be inclined to think it would be Benson. The tag on a corner might be over $10 million this season.

---------------------

do you see any thoughts on trading down in this draft?

If you can get multiple picks, I would like to see them do it, but the last time they did they ended up screwing it up taking Perry instead of Jackson

---------------------

Any chance that the Bengals can do enough things to make Carson feel like sticking at least 1 more year?

It would have to entail getting rid of the one person that everyone else wants to see gone, and right now if you're franchise QB can't even get MB to do that, I don't know what would get him out

---------------------

Throughout all this nonsense we keep hearing that Kaite and Marvin have been trying to sway Mike towards certain things (New OC, etc). Do you get the sense that Katie is trying to have Mike make significant changes?

I think a lot of people are trying to sway Mike and right now he's not budging. Mike's whole outlook is that the fans will come back if they start winning again, but considering what has happened here over the past 20 years that's not an easy equation. Too much ill will

---------------------

Who does Carson object to most - Brat or Marvin? Also - what's the chances that Chad is a Bengal for the 2011 season - assuming here is one?

I think it's Bob more than Marvin at the moment. There's a higher probability of Carson being a Bengal next season before Chad. It would best serve everyone if Chad kept quiet because right now he's lobbing softball comments that Marvin can just crush out of the ballpark

---------------------

Is Bratkowski staying? Are we going to be stuck with 500 off tackle plays next year?

Right now barring an abrupt change in course, he's staying. Mike Brown doesn't pay people who aren't working and Bratkowski is under contract for one more season.

And there you have it. Again, Mike Brown is forcing fans to take control of their own situation. Renew or not renew. Remain a fan or not. It's all some kind of weird cosmic karmic lesson we seem to be faced with. Nothing changes with Mikey. What do we as fans choose to do to change to save or preserve our own sanity?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am reaching my breaking point. Following a football team and supporting them shouldn't be so much work.

Go Reds.