Shut out of the Pro Bowl

jjakq27

http://cincinnati.co...ut-of-pro-bowl/

No players voted to the Pro Bowl for the Bengals this year. Andrew Whitworth was probably the closest player but was edged out by Miami's Jake Long, Cleveland's Joe Thomas and the Jets' D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

Personally I thought he had multiple critical false starts or holds that were key to the mid-season futility for the Bengals.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it curious that Whit won the fan voting only to not even get a backup nod. What's the point of the fans' vote? Sounds like it doesn't mean much

It dosnt its a joke! The probowl is a big joke! Even guys who held out half year are making the probowl list

Exactly, but the NFL makes fans "believe" they can vote in who they think is worthy. It's just hype for the league. I think Whit will still get in, as one of the Tackles will probably decide not to play. The thing I also hate about the Pro Bowl (as well as other sport All-Star Games) is that many times a player gets selected simply because he made it before, or what he's done in the past. In the NFL though, it is most true with Offensive Lineman. If you are a Tackle or Center even Guard and are selected once, you'll likely go again, and if you go twice, FORGET IT, you're a lock even if you play like crap, because fans will remember your name, and the players or coaches that vote may not have played you that season, but remember how well you played the year before and vote for you anyways. Just ask Big Willie, once he got his first selection he went like 4 straight years (even though the last 2 weren't that great) and he even ended up not playing in the last 2.

no one on this team deserved it.

Agreed.

Dunlap and Gresham might make an All-Rookie team.

IMHO Dunlap deserves to without question, but Gresham doesn't. In fact, it can be argued that Gresham has been no better than the 4th or 5th best rookie TE.

He and Shipley are among the rookie leaders in receptions but his fumble in Indy and a few dunder-headed penalties hurt this team much like Whit did when things were still meaningful.

Bengals news

The Cincinnati Chapter of the Pro Football Writers of America has named offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth as the Bengals' 2010 Most Valuable Player, and HB Cedric Benson has been named the recipient of the organization's "Good Guy" award. The voters are the beat writers who cover the team on a daily basis.

Whitworth, the team's starting left offensive tackle, continues to establish himself as one of the top linemen in the conference. In his last 35 games starting at left tackle, he has given up only four sacks. In his last 57 games at left tackle and left guard, only six. "I think the voters are recognizing Whit's entire body of work," said PFWA spokesman Joe Reedy, Bengals beat writer for The Cincinnati Enquirer. "He has done the job against the top pass rushers in the league, he's an excellent run blocker, and he's clearly one of the team leaders. (WR) Terrell Owens had a great year, but in the end consistency won out." Whitworth is the second offensive lineman in the nine years the Cincinnati PFWA has named an MVP to win the award. Past winners were QB Jon Kitna (2002-03), HB Rudi Johnson (2004), QB Carson Palmer (2005), WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh (2007-08) and CBs Leon Hall and Johnathan Joseph (2009).

Benson is the ninth recipient of the organization?s "Good Guy" award, given for excellent relations with local media. "In a season in which it has been difficult to talk, Benson has always been available, whether on Wednesdays or after games, when he has been one of the last ones in the locker room," Reedy said. "In a frustrating season such as this one has been for the team, it's extremely important to us that he has set an example as a team leader to help us bring our readers the information that they so strongly desire."

Past "Good Guy" winners have been FB Lorenzo Neal, OT Willie Anderson, HB Brandon Bennett, LB Brian Simmons, DT John Thornton, WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh, DT Bryan Robinson, G Bobbie Williams and QB Carson Palmer. Anderson, Houshmandzadeh and Palmer are the only players to win both the MVP and the Good Guy awards

Agreed.

IMHO Dunlap deserves to without question, but Gresham doesn't. In fact, it can be argued that Gresham has been no better than the 4th or 5th best rookie TE.

He and Shipley are among the rookie leaders in receptions but his fumble in Indy and a few dunder-headed penalties hurt this team much like Whit did when things were still meaningful.

All rookies make mistakes. That's what they do. But even if the mistakes are overlooked I have to reluctantly admit that I'm underwhelmed by Greshams production numbers. Granted, his total catches stand out but his yardage totals are modest. In fact, Gresham's average gain per catch is pathetic, and he hasn't come close to being the red zone threat most expected. And not only has he been outproduced by two Patriot rookies who share snaps, Gronkowski and Hernandez, but his numbers are only marginally better, and sometimes worse, than several other rookie TE's who have played far less. Those include the Chief's Tony Moeaki, the Saint's Jimmy Graham, and the Ram's Michael Hoonomoonapunafanoonah....whose last name I never bother spelling correctly.

And then there's blocking to consider. Gresham has been as advertised...which translates to mostly hit or miss. Meanwhile, Gronkowski already ranks amongst the best blocking TE's in the NFL and with the exception of total catches his recieving numbers are far superior, including averaging more than 3 yards more per catch. More than twice as many TD's as well. And again, he's managed that while sharing the ball with another rookie TE with better numbers than Gresham.

Add it all up and I'm guessing Gresham would finish no higher than 4th best in the AFC for rookie TE honors.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-name-Benson-for-Ed-Block-Courage-Award/0eee5026-27ee-463f-b2ba-24076bc5be15

Cedric Benson was named the team's recipient of the NFL's Ed Block Courage Award.

The award honors NFL players who demonstrate “commitment to the values of sportsmanship and courage.” Each team selects one player for the award. Benson will be honored with the other recipients at the annual awards banquet in Baltimore following the 2010 season.

In fact, Gresham's average gain per catch is pathetic, and he hasn't come close to being the red zone threat most expected. And not only has he been outproduced by two Patriot rookies who share snaps, Gronkowski and Hernandez, but his numbers are only marginally better, and sometimes worse, than several other rookie TE's who have played far less.

Well, let's not forget that those Patriots TEs are sharing a lot, if not most, of those snaps at wide receiver. I wouldn't give Gresham any rookie of the year honors either, but comparing their numbers to his isn't particularly illuminating given the different ways they've been used by their teams.

Agreed.

All rookies make mistakes. That's what they do. But even if the mistakes are overlooked I have to reluctantly admit that I'm underwhelmed by Greshams production numbers. Granted, his total catches stand out but his yardage totals are modest. In fact, Gresham's average gain per catch is pathetic, and he hasn't come close to being the red zone threat most expected. And not only has he been outproduced by two Patriot rookies who share snaps, Gronkowski and Hernandez, but his numbers are only marginally better, and sometimes worse, than several other rookie TE's who have played far less. Those include the Chief's Tony Moeaki, the Saint's Jimmy Graham, and the Ram's Michael Hoonomoonapunafanoonah....whose last name I never bother spelling correctly.

And then there's blocking to consider. Gresham has been as advertised...which translates to mostly hit or miss. Meanwhile, Gronkowski already ranks amongst the best blocking TE's in the NFL and with the exception of total catches his recieving numbers are far superior, including averaging more than 3 yards more per catch. More than twice as many TD's as well. And again, he's managed that while sharing the ball with another rookie TE with better numbers than Gresham.

Add it all up and I'm guessing Gresham would finish no higher than 4th best in the AFC for rookie TE honors.

Don't forget the Patriots also know how to make user of their talent. The same cannot be said for Brat. Gresham has made the most of the opportunities he's been given. Most of his routes of been short outs, curls, or screens. Gronkowski and Hernanadez actually get to run routes down the field.

In fact, Gresham's average gain per catch is pathetic, and he hasn't come close to being the red zone threat most expected. And not only has he been outproduced by two Patriot rookies who share snaps, Gronkowski and Hernandez, but his numbers are only marginally better, and sometimes worse, than several other rookie TE's who have played far less.

Well, let's not forget that those Patriots TEs are sharing a lot, if not most, of those snaps at wide receiver. I wouldn't give Gresham any rookie of the year honors either, but comparing their numbers to his isn't particularly illuminating given the different ways they've been used by their teams.

Then ignore the Patriot example. You're still left with the fact that Gresham is averaging less yardage per catch than every rookie TE who has played substantial snaps. That's right, ALL of them. And if it's illumination you seek then ask yourself why the first TE selected hasn't been given the same opportunities that other rookie TE's have been given on other moree successful teams. After all, we saw Gresham line up at WR often enough, and in preseason no less, to know it's a wrinkle in the Bengals playbook, right? So why wasn't he given the same opportunities here that other rookie TE's seemed to get?

Finally, ask yourself why nobody bothers mentioning Gresham as a potential OROY now....after so many declared him to be a favorite immediately after being drafted? Ask yourself why nobody has bothered arguing my claim that Gresham probably wouldn't rank any higher than 3rd or 4th at his position on an all-rookie team?

My take? Well, I'll limit myself to these three factors.

1 - Gronkowski is flat out a better all around TE than Gresham. Furthermore, other TE prospects are more capable than Gresham in the hybrid TE/WR role.

2 - The playing time Gresham missed in college proved to be a much bigger factor than most were willing to acknowledge prior to the draft. As a result Gresham struggled more than expected with things like alignment and route running, and when coupled with his mediocre blocking prompted the Bengals to scale back the things they asked him to do.

3 - I agree Bengal coaches didn't properly exploit Gresham's strengths. Even when considering #2 it seems obvious Gresham could have produced more if given, not more opportunities, but rather...a more dynamic receiving role. To think that a TE screen play, often delivered behind the LOS, was the best way to exploit potential mismatches is pretty ridiculous.

Then ignore the Patriot example. You're still left with the fact that Gresham is averaging less yardage per catch than every rookie TE who has played substantial snaps. That's right, ALL of them.

Well, all of them in that case would pretty much be Moeaki, since none of the others have played anywhere near as large a role as Gresham has. If you want to rank him ahead of Gresham among rookie TEs, that's fine by me, but I'm putting Jermaine No. 2, and not by much.

Yes, comparing TE numbers under Bratkowski with New England's qualifies as one famous person around here says..."crap stats".

The reason Gresham's YpC are so pathetic is because of the role Bratkowski has him in. Let's try our luck with him in another offense next yr

Then ignore the Patriot example. You're still left with the fact that Gresham is averaging less yardage per catch than every rookie TE who has played substantial snaps. That's right, ALL of them. And if it's illumination you seek then ask yourself why the first TE selected hasn't been given the same opportunities that other rookie TE's have been given on other moree successful teams. After all, we saw Gresham line up at WR often enough, and in preseason no less, to know it's a wrinkle in the Bengals playbook, right? So why wasn't he given the same opportunities here that other rookie TE's seemed to get?

Finally, ask yourself why nobody bothers mentioning Gresham as a potential OROY now....after so many declared him to be a favorite immediately after being drafted? Ask yourself why nobody has bothered arguing my claim that Gresham probably wouldn't rank any higher than 3rd or 4th at his position on an all-rookie team?

My take? Well, I'll limit myself to these three factors.

1 - Gronkowski is flat out a better all around TE than Gresham. Furthermore, other TE prospects are more capable than Gresham in the hybrid TE/WR role.

2 - The playing time Gresham missed in college proved to be a much bigger factor than most were willing to acknowledge prior to the draft. As a result Gresham struggled more than expected with things like alignment and route running, and when coupled with his mediocre blocking prompted the Bengals to scale back the things they asked him to do.

3 - I agree Bengal coaches didn't properly exploit Gresham's strengths. Even when considering #2 it seems obvious Gresham could have produced more if given, not more opportunities, but rather...a more dynamic receiving role. To think that a TE screen play, often delivered behind the LOS, was the best way to exploit potential mismatches is pretty ridiculous.

I'll vote #3

My thing (not directly with Gresham) is the fact we saw him line up at the WR spot MANY times during the preseason and the Bengals were successful. Why ?? For all the reasons we believed (some of us forced) that the mismatches Gresham would create running down the field, would be to much for opposing defenses when considering the other WR's and running game we "had".

What did we get ?? Nothing near what we saw early and often during the preseason.

SHAME ON THE COACHES.