Bengals-Chargers Gameday Thread

HoosierCat

Great game, but they just likely played themselves out of a top 5 pick.....and even worse, probably gave Brat another year....DAMN

I believe they are now at No. 4.

Carolina has the 1 spot all but sewn up.

Denver won today but so did we so they stay at 2.

Buffalo I believe bumps into the 3 spot ahead of us based on strength of sked (tho that needs to be recalculated after this week)

and we are 4.

teams after that are all 5 win + teams.

Yeah, but the Bengals might just mess around and win against the Ravens next week too.

Anything is possible but the absolute worst I can see offhand is that the Bengals draft 12th. And probably it's "better" than that, I haven't worked through all the permutations of the 5 win teams from 5-12. Bottom line, we will have a good pick regardless.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all I have to say is WHO DEY?! Great to see us pound the chargers in December. A few stats:

Chargers have 2 losses in December since 2006 . . . this was their first on the road and second loss since then.

They came into PBS the #1 ranked defense . . . and this is what Carson (the guy so many of you hate) did:

16/21, 269 yards, 4 touchdowns . . . for a roughly 158 passer rating. Against the #1 defense and playing with guys who have been on the bench all year.

Can anyone watch that game and not think carson is money? The first incompletion was on Gresham and that deep ball to caldwell . . . if you watch the replay you see caldwell kick into another gear at the end. That pass was 2 feet from being a touchdown -- caldwell just needed to run hard the whole time.

Carson was on fire today and seeing those young guys play the way they did, AGAINST THE NUMBER ONE DEFENSE IN THE NFL, was, frankly, astounding. Makes me feel giddy about our WRs next year -- simpson, caldwell, shipley and gresham? Let's resign Ced and put sticky tack on his hands next year and we are good to go.

Happy for carson, happy for the bengals. And listen people -- when is the last time a 1rd pick taken in spots 1-10 worked for us? We have much better success picking 11-20 :bengal:

Bills beat us head to head, doesn't that put us ahead of them for the #3 pick?

Head to head doesn't matter for the draft IIRC, it's record No. 1, the strength of sked No. 2.

Ah, thanks. Had forgotten. Sad I have to remember those rules again.

Who gives a s**t about the draft position? Go kick the Ratbirds' asses!

Also, if Cincy wins next week and Pittsburgh beats Cleveland, the Bengals finish in third place. :lol:

I really don't care about draft position and will take the excitement of winning over 5-10 spots any day of the week,But What I do care about is this team still needs change and by winning these nonfactor games it may have cost us that change...So I hope everyone is ready for More Brat,More Wasting young players talent by Marvin and Crew because this last 2 weeks they probably won them selves another year in cinci.

Frankly I think that if any of the coaching staff returns next year, it won't be the result of winning a few meaningless games. Whatever will happen has already been in motion.

I agree with this. There will be changes made finally. My guess is that Marvin and Brat are gone. Carson stays.

However, I will not complain if Marvin is here. Here's why. I firmly believe Marvin has asked MB to allow him to make some significant and necessary changes for him to come back. MB loves Marvin and the ball is in MB's court. If he's here, something may have changed with the way MB runs this team.

Call me crazy...

Frankly I think that if any of the coaching staff returns next year, it won't be the result of winning a few meaningless games. Whatever will happen has already been in motion.

I agree with this. There will be changes made finally. My guess is that Marvin and Brat are gone. Carson stays.

However, I will not complain if Marvin is here. Here's why. I firmly believe Marvin has asked MB to allow him to make some significant and necessary changes for him to come back. MB loves Marvin and the ball is in MB's court. If he's here, something may have changed with the way MB runs this team.

Call me crazy...

I could live with Marvin though I'd prefer a Bigger overhaul but my biggest concerns remain with the offensive Coaching Staff I just want to be free of Brat & alexander...

I do still feel like Marvin has a coaching handicap because of Mike Brown.

This (and good play next week) may indeed save a few coaches' jobs despite the argument of why-oh-why said coaches did not unleash the youngsters earlier

On the other hand, the dramatic offensive improvement in the absence of the Two Loon Platoon I think spells their doom, and for that, I will be eternally grateful.

It almost makes me wonder if Carson pulled a choke job this year until those two were removed from the offense. Almost.

I will still argue for a top flight OT, OC, and a phenom pass rushing DE (on the side opposite of Dunlap, obviously) for our first three picks. Yeah, gimme a lineman. I think our young wideouts showed enough these past two weeks that we won't need to go WR (sorry Hair) until later in the draft. And let's get back to players with top intangibles - smarts, leadership, professional approach - no more Divas, please.

And I think we need to devote a 5th or lower round pick to the PK position.

It almost makes me wonder if Carson pulled a choke job this year until those two were removed from the offense. Almost.

I've been critical of him, but he would never do anything like that.

Ya Would make me worry more about him as a player if he choked Rather then

-Told them to STFU

-Tell Marvin that he'd rather throw to the young guys

-Simply not force the ball to them and let them whine.

PS,Plus Carson was the one who set in motion for T.O to come to town anyways.

Just got back from the game after getting free tickets. Was an awesome time. Not much can be said that hasnt been said, though I gotta give more props to Atkins.

Also for those who were looking for feeds, channelsurfing.net is another one I use some times. You need to download a program for it, but it tends to work pretty consistantly.

I think our young wideouts showed enough these past two weeks that we won't need to go WR (sorry Hair) until later in the draft.

No apologies needed, but Green stays on my short list because I believe his individual draft ranking will keep him in consideration. Nutshelled, when drafting in the Top10, and especially in the Top5, I believe a hard ranking of player talent trumps all other considerations, and Green and the Bengals still seem to be near perfect matches in that regard. However, I'm not blind to changes and if the Bengals keep winning they'll rapidly play themselves out of the AJ Green sweepstakes, if they haven't already. In fact, just falling from the #2 overall spot dictates I add other names to my one-man short list. Because without hesitation I admit that much HAS changed already.

And let's get back to players with top intangibles - smarts, leadership, professional approach - no more Divas, please.

All the more reason to keep a player like AJ Green in consideration. Not to mention that as much as I've liked what I've seen from Simpson and Caldwell I'm not convinced the need for WR help is satisfied yet. But I've always been willing to change my opinions when faced with changing circumstances. In fact, for those of you who are intent on pimping a 1st round OL you better hope the Bengals fall as far as they possibly can.

Have we really fallen much considering that Denver and Detroit won yesterday?

Depends on how you look at it. Winning back to back games has already taken the Bengals out of the running for the first overall pick, Carolina is a lock now, and allowed another team to assume the 2nd overall slot. Currently, with just one game to play the Bengals are sitting at 3rd overall....which already takes them out of the Andrew Luck derby. Personally, that doesn't bug me a bit but others will feel different. Tweaking things further, if Luck doesn't come out that means teams like Carolina and Denver are more likely to select players like DaQuan Bowers and AJ Green. Now factor in a fall of several more spots if the Bengals manage to beat Baltimore....which I hope they do. Do that and they'll probably end up drafting somewhere between 4 and 6, thereby eliminating them from selecting any prospect who would have been listed on a 3-man short list from just two weeks ago.

Don't get me wrong because I'm not bitching and I know things will sort itself out soon enough. But for those fans who had their heart set on ANY of the truly blue chip talent, well....there might be one or two left, but they may not play positions the team will want to consider. That puts you in a position where you're tempted to pass on players who are higher ranked.

((shrug))

By the way, has the NFL set a date for the 2011 draft yet? I can't seem to find one

It's usually the third weekend in April. But I think that is the Easter weekend too, I'm guessing it's the week before.

/>http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100427074120AADlhBE

Depends on how you look at it. Winning back to back games has already taken the Bengals out of the running for the first overall pick, Carolina is a lock now, and allowed another team to assume the 2nd overall slot. Currently, with just one game to play the Bengals are sitting at 3rd overall....which already takes them out of the Andrew Luck derby. Personally, that doesn't bug me a bit but others will feel different. Tweaking things further, if Luck doesn't come out that means teams like Carolina and Denver are more likely to select players like DaQuan Bowers and AJ Green. Now factor in a fall of several more spots if the Bengals manage to beat Baltimore....which I hope they do. Do that and they'll probably end up drafting somewhere between 4 and 6, thereby eliminating them from selecting any prospect who would have been listed on a 3-man short list from just two weeks ago.

Don't get me wrong because I'm not bitching and I know things will sort itself out soon enough. But for those fans who had their heart set on ANY of the truly blue chip talent, well....there might be one or two left, but they may not play positions the team will want to consider. That puts you in a position where you're tempted to pass on players who are higher ranked.

((shrug))

I don't think they were ever going to unseat Carolina who has Atlanta this week. If I'm not mistaken, Carolina's played a weaker schedule so we'd lose the tiebreaker with them anyway. Aside from Luck, I'd say there is no concensus #2 pick. In fact the next few picks are "muddled" at this point which makes it OK to drop. I don't think this is a year where the #2 pick gets a guy like Suh

1. Panthers 2-13 .133 .576

2. Broncos 4-11 .267 .508

3. Bengals 4-11 .267 .580

4. Bills 4-11 .267 .582

5. Cardinals 5-10 .333 .456

6. 49ers 5-10 .333 .494

7. Cowboys 5-10 .333 .521

8. Texans 5-10 .333 .527

9. Lions 5-10 .333 .549

10. Browns 5-10 .333 .576

Is it conceivable that the Bengals could drop out of the top five with a win at Baltimore Sunday?

http://espn.go.com/b...ft-order-top-10

http://gamerewind.nf...lackout_w16_ROS

Game rewind on NFL.com.

A couple of observations.

Did anyone notice the green laser pointer on Phillip Rivers at the 10 minute mark in the 4th? Key incompletion inside the 20 on the play. They made an announcement about it a few minutes later.

Good game by Keith Rivers.

The Fisher-Price kids on the D-line could be scary good with a little more work this off-season.

The pass by Palmer to Shipley was a bullet. Nice throw, nice catch.

Give Brat and Carson props for going for it in the 4th on Simpson's TD.

Why the anger from Kelly Washington? How many teams has he been with since he left Cincinnati?

http://gamerewind.nf...lackout_w16_ROS

Game rewind on NFL.com.

A couple of observations.

Did anyone notice the green laser pointer on Phillip Rivers at the 10 minute mark in the 4th? Key incompletion inside the 20 on the play. They made an announcement about it a few minutes later.

Good game by Keith Rivers.

The Fisher-Price kids on the D-line could be scary good with a little more work this off-season.

The pass by Palmer to Shipley was a bullet. Nice throw, nice catch.

Give Brat and Carson props for going for it in the 4th on Simpson's TD.

Why the anger from Kelly Washington? How many teams has he been with since he left Cincinnati?

Thanks for the link man. I missed the only game this season worth watching... but better late than never.

Nice work Cincy - giving us all that glimpse of hope before next season. You are such a tease!