Draft Pick Watch

HoosierCat

Per the gbnreport.com tonight, the Bengals are now picking third thanks to the Oakland win over Denver. First five picks:

1. Carolina

2. Denver

3. Cincinnati

4. Detroit

5. Buffalo

Upcoming:

Carolina @ Pittsburgh (Thursday night)

Houston @ Denver

SD @ Cincinnati

Detroit @ Miami

NE @ Buffalo

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carolina has Pittsburgh and Atlanta left, I don't expect them to win either of those.

The Broncos have the Texans and San Diego, so they could beat the Texans.

The Bengals have San Diego and the Ravens, I don't expect a win in either of those games.

Detroit has Miami and Minnesota which are both winnable games.

Buffalo has New England and the Jets, though they have played tough, both those would more than likely be losses.

As I see it, the Bengals could draft as high as second, or as low as 4-5 but not any lower.

I've been thinking about WHO we draft based on where we finish.

I believe that if we draft in first position we take Andrew Luck, QB from Stanford; if we draft second, I'd take Da'Quan Bowers, DE Clemson; and if are in the third position I'd take A.J. Green, WR Georgia. Truth be know, I'd take anyone of these three and have a big smile.

Best OL should be our pick in second round.

Now, back to my nap :P

Taking AJ Green would be a mistake if you ask me. We need to fix our holes in the trenches before we get more skilled position receivers.

Even if Ocho and T.O. leave, I think Caldwell, Shipley, and Gresham give us plenty of targets for our passing game. We need a DE to go opposite of Dunlap and a tackle and guard for the O line. Also I think a safety should be higher priority than another WR.

Taking AJ Green would be a mistake if you ask me. We need to fix our holes in the trenches before we get more skilled position receivers.

Even if Ocho and T.O. leave, I think Caldwell, Shipley, and Gresham give us plenty of targets for our passing game. We need a DE to go opposite of Dunlap and a tackle and guard for the O line. Also I think a safety should be higher priority than another WR.

If you look at the blue print for the Steelers and the Ravens, I agree with your assessment. They are successful almost every year because of their defense and their ability to run the ball. Passing the ball is a lesser priority for them. If the ownership and staff are able to hold back and add to the O-line instead, the team can be successful again in a hurry.

The older I get, the less enamored I am with ultra-gifted receivers. I am not sure if they are more than frosting on the cake. Building a team around that is fools gold.

We need Offensive line help but doesn't mean it has to be in 1st round where no one is worth a top 5 Selection,So either they need trade down or wait until the 2nd round which seems more likely for mike brown?

You think we have enough targets but none of our WR's are proven 1# so it is risky with the amount of needs we have I simply say go for bpa of a position we could use top 4 players I want atm are ...1.)Luck 2.)Newton 3.)Green 4.)Daquan Bowers (This depends on their plans with MJ do they want him to be DE or LB?) Then for Oline Take :P best OT available in 2nd round move whit to the Right & Move Flesh Zeplin to RG...

Carolina has Pittsburgh and Atlanta left, I don't expect them to win either of those.

The Broncos have the Texans and San Diego, so they could beat the Texans.

The Bengals have San Diego and the Ravens, I don't expect a win in either of those games.

Detroit has Miami and Minnesota which are both winnable games.

Buffalo has New England and the Jets, though they have played tough, both those would more than likely be losses.

As I see it, the Bengals could draft as high as second, or as low as 4-5 but not any lower.

Keep in mind that Carolina plays ATL on the last game of year. If ATL wins this week they clinch home field advantage.

They could sit everyone. Carolina could win that game.

who would have tie breakers if panthers beat the falcons and bengals loss the next 2.

First tie breaker I believe is head 2 head which would be in the Panthers favor because they lost to the Bengals.

Incorrect. They don't play those kinds of games where draft picks are concerned. It's a straight strength of schedule. Whoever had the weakest strength of schedule gets the better pick in rd one. I think they flip it in rd two.

The Bengals have San Diego and the Ravens, I don't expect a win in either of those games

Hmmm. San Diego I admit would be a stretch, but I really think Baltimore is doable.

Of course beating Baltimore is doable, but only because we all know how this team will attempt to beat them. Nutshelled, they'll focus on playing physical on both sides of the ball and will attempt to run the ball down the Ravens throat. Do that much and there's every reason to believe the Bengals can beat that 10-4 team. Conversely, few of us expect the Bengals will be able to compete against an 8-6 Charger team, despite playing at home, and that's true precisely because of the way this team chooses to attack teams like San Diego.

Around here bad habits are harder to break than good one.

The above is yet another example of increasingly familiar Bengal fan groupthink. Nutshelled, the strongest argument against selecting AJ Green has nothing to do with AJ Green himself, and everything to do with the position he plays.

Damn, it's going to be a long couple of months.

who would have tie breakers if panthers beat the falcons and bengals loss the next 2.

First tie breaker I believe is head 2 head which would be in the Panthers favor because they lost to the Bengals.

Incorrect. They don't play those kinds of games where draft picks are concerned. It's a straight strength of schedule. Whoever had the weakest strength of schedule gets the better pick in rd one. I think they flip it in rd two.

It's a rotation. If there are, say, three teams at 5-11, they line up weakest first to strongest last in the first round. In round 2, the first team drops to the bottom of the group and all the others bump up a spot. The same in the rest of the rounds, so the whole group continually cycles throughout the draft.

• 2 weeks later...

Hobson:

One of the options with the Bengals' first pick could be a defensive end that might be able to play a 3-4. With the depth at linebacker there have been some musings about going to a base 3-4. They could line up at backer with Michael Johnson and Keith Rivers on the outside and Rey Maualuga and Roddrick Muckelroy on the inside with the 6-6, 285-pound Carlos Dunlap more than big enough to play left end.

http://espn.go.com/b...ft-order-top-10

Team W-L Win Pct. Strength of Schedule*

1. Panthers 2-13 .133 .576

2. Broncos 4-11 .267 .508

3. Bengals 4-11 .267 .580

4. Bills 4-11 .267 .582

5. Cardinals 5-10 .333 .456

6. 49ers 5-10 .333 .494

7. Cowboys 5-10 .333 .521

8. Texans 5-10 .333 .527

9. Lions 5-10 .333 .549

10. Browns 5-10 .333 .576

Hobson:

One of the options with the Bengals' first pick could be a defensive end that might be able to play a 3-4. With the depth at linebacker there have been some musings about going to a base 3-4. They could line up at backer with Michael Johnson and Keith Rivers on the outside and Rey Maualuga and Roddrick Muckelroy on the inside with the 6-6, 285-pound Carlos Dunlap more than big enough to play left end.

Back to moving players out of their natural positions? Yeah, we saw how that's worked so well before. :rolleyes: Leave Michael Johnson at DE and stick with the 4-3.

Hobson:

Back to moving players out of their natural positions? Yeah, we saw how that's worked so well before. :rolleyes: Leave Michael Johnson at DE and stick with the 4-3.

Agreed. I also say dump Geathers (maybe keep Odom for 1 more year only as depth) but start Johnson and Dunlap at DE's. I also see no need for Da'Quan Bowers and he has only produced for 1 season (was labeled an underacheiver before this year)

The thought of Dunlap on one side of a 3-4 doesn't bother me. The question would be, who is our true NT ?? Peko ?? Odom ??

Many will scoff, but go get Haynesworth (who is a natural NT) and put him back in a 3-4 scheme where he dominates.

Line up Peko, Haynesworth, and Dunlap with the LB corp mentioned and that has some potential.

It will never happen and some will say "good", but they have to do something with the lack of pass rush.

Oh yeah, AJ Green...

Don't mess up a good thing like the D-line! Right now these young guys are playing pretty good, and they should just keep it the same.

As far as the draft they really need to find a way to trade the pick for more draft picks. Then pick up the best OL or WR or even the best DE on the board. I think picking anyone of these positions will help them out big time. There are a bunch of holes that need to be filled, so its best to get as many draft picks as they can!