THE CHANGES THREAD...Marvin to return

combatbengal

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20101224/SPT02/312240049/Lewis-optimistic-on-return-to-Bengals

Following Friday’s practice at Paul Brown Stadium, Lewis voiced optimism about returning for a ninth season.

Asked if he felt as if the end of his eight-year tenure was near, Lewis replied, “I don’t think so. That’s not the plan.”

Lewis did say that he has talked with Mike Brown about his the future but that no decisions have been made.

“My plan is to beat the San Diego Chargers and beyond that time will take care of itself,” Lewis said. “Our team has hung in there, kept playing and kept practicing and preparing.”

Lewis’ comments came on a day that has not been cheery for Bengals coaches. Forrest Gregg resigned on Christmas Eve in 1983, and Sam Wyche was fired on Dec. 24, 1991.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still pimpin john fox,.. Idk if hue will come back for a job less than head coach,.. I hope he does but if he gets fired from Oak. it's certainly possible

With fox at HC. and mike at DC and hue at OC... And a handful of solid players... Thats almost impossible to mess up right????

...waitin for someone to post a pic of chad and T.O lol

I gotta wonder if Zimmer would stay if he doesn't get the head coaching job here. I think he stays if Marvin remains but I think he might go if they bring in a new HC. I gotta wonder about his state of mind with the passing of his wife just 14 months ago and his children living in the south.

I gotta wonder if Zimmer would stay if he doesn't get the head coaching job here. I think he stays if Marvin remains but I think he might go if they bring in a new HC. I gotta wonder about his state of mind with the passing of his wife just 14 months ago and his children living in the south.

Deon Sanders said a while back that Zimmer still really wants to become a head coach,it will be interesting to see if he'd be willing to take the risk in cinci losing a shot at a better job down the road.But then again could be his only shot so he may just want to take it.

I'm willing to forgive Marvin and co. for Simpson considering the players ahead of him on the depth chart.

Maurice Purify?

Not only do I flatly reject the idea of forgiving Lewis I further reject the idea of forgiving other Bengal fans who for years and years have refused to blame Lewis for mismanaging Simpson, and instead blamed the player. I firmly believe there isn't another team in the NFL that would have handled Simpson in the manner he's been treated here. And even more unforgivable, this team now faces critical decisions in regards to the futures of Ocho, Simpson, and draft choices that will be based in large measure on just three games of tape.

And furthermore, I think this goes way beyond the examples of Jerome Simpson and Carlos Dunlap. Using just this season's offense as an example you can very easily point to players like Andre Caldwell, Bernard Scott, Anthony Collins, and others whose developement seems to have been derailed for reasons both unjustified and unexplained.

Frankly, I'll admit I often go back and forth on the matter of firing Lewis. Most of the time I walk around wanting him gone yesterday. And then there are times when I feel like I could accept having him back as long as other changes are made. But this is the type of thing that makes me say go....because this isn't the first time Marvin has said "shame on us" in regards to Simpson. It's just the first time so many others have agreed with him.

I'm willing to forgive Marvin and co. for Simpson considering the players ahead of him on the depth chart.

Maurice Purify?

Not only do I flatly reject the idea of forgiving Lewis I further reject the idea of forgiving other Bengal fans who for years and years have refused to blame Lewis for mismanaging Simpson, and instead blamed the player. I firmly believe there isn't another team in the NFL that would have handled Simpson in the manner he's been treated here. And even more unforgivable, this team now faces critical decisions in regards to the futures of Ocho, Simpson, and draft choices that will be based in large measure on just three games of tape.

And furthermore, I think this goes way beyond the examples of Jerome Simpson and Carlos Dunlap. Using just this season's offense as an example you can very easily point to players like Andre Caldwell, Bernard Scott, Anthony Collins, and others whose developement seems to have been derailed for reasons both unjustified and unexplained.

Frankly, I'll admit I often go back and forth on the matter of firing Lewis. Most of the time I walk around wanting him gone yesterday. And then there are times when I feel like I could accept having him back as long as other changes are made. But this is the type of thing that makes me say go....because this isn't the first time Marvin has said "shame on us" in regards to Simpson. It's just the first time so many others have agreed with him.

Great googily moogily, yes. I am beyond angry at how Marvin and his staff have buried certain players only to finally be forced to play them and be "surprised" that they played well. It is the opposite of how say, the Patriots and Steelers run their programs. It is football coaching malpractice, and it is as fireable. He should be fired. Then again, would it get better with a new guy? I am guessing it would. At least the evaluations would be fresh on players who cannot get run and fresh on players who play no matter what.

f**k Marvin for stuff like this.

Deon Sanders said a while back that Zimmer still really wants to become a head coach,it will be interesting to see if he'd be willing to take the risk in cinci losing a shot at a better job down the road.But then again could be his only shot so he may just want to take it.

I think Zimmer signed a 3 yr contract after last season, so he's here unless he gets a HC gig somewhere

Maurice Purify?

Great googily moogily, yes. I am beyond angry at how Marvin and his staff have buried certain players only to finally be forced to play them and be "surprised" that they played well. It is the opposite of how say, the Patriots and Steelers run their programs. It is football coaching malpractice, and it is as fireable. He should be fired. Then again, would it get better with a new guy? I am guessing it would. At least the evaluations would be fresh on players who cannot get run and fresh on players who play no matter what.

f**k Marvin for stuff like this.

Add me to the choir. Not just Purify but L. Coles. There's been ample opportunity to give Simpson snaps.

This coaching staff does not have the atmosphere of "there's always open competition for your job" and that has led to complacency.

Sea Ray wrote:

There's been ample opportunity to give Simpson snaps.

This coaching staff does not have the atmosphere of "there's always open competition for your job" and that has led to complacency.

Violently agree.

Maurice Purify?

Speaking of Anthony Collins i thought he did an awsome job yesterday against a Chargers team who gets alot of sacks. So heres another guy that has been inactive for weeks, and when he gets the oppertunity to play he makes the best of it. He should have had more snaps this year, to see if he is another guy who could start for this team next year. I thought we should mention his name as i thought he had a pretty game for not getting to play much.

Sea Ray wrote:

There's been ample opportunity to give Simpson snaps.

Violently agree.

Yes, and Yes.

I recall a comment ML made about practice and a need to be "perfect". C'mon, seriously.... A guy has to be "perfect" in practice to play? WTF

This is about ML and his coaching philosophy. Keeping Dunlap inactive... Yet, playing Geathers, whose biggest asset is he does not get injured?

I heard an interesting point yesterday on ESPN radio that I think deserves some discussion. Chris Mortenson commented that the labor situation may very well stifle some coaching changes this year. If there's a lockout that goes into next season, there will be no minicamps and maybe a shortened summercamp. Therefore can a new coach/coordinator install a new system? Otherwise he thinks about a third of the league maybe changes coaches this year.

So the question for all of you, is this the year to can Bratkowski and Lewis and can we get the players up to speed on a new system if there's a lockout?

I heard an interesting point yesterday on ESPN radio that I think deserves some discussion. Chris Mortenson commented that the labor situation may very well stifle some coaching changes this year. If there's a lockout that goes into next season, there will be no minicamps and maybe a shortened summercamp. Therefore can a new coach/coordinator install a new system? Otherwise he thinks about a third of the league maybe changes coaches this year.

So the question for all of you, is this the year to can Bratkowski and Lewis and can we get the players up to speed on a new system if there's a lockout?

I heard the same thing. It's actually not a bad concept and I can see that being a major reason for keeping Marvin and a good portion of the staff.

All I know is I hope they don't try any kind of sham-football by bringing replacement players in. What a fkn waste of time and (our) money) that was.

Does anyone know when the CBA actually expires? I know the commish would like things settled before the Super Bowl.

Does anyone know when the CBA actually expires? I know the commish would like things settled before the Super Bowl.

March 4th

/>http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=sbd.preview&articleID=144441

I heard an interesting point yesterday on ESPN radio that I think deserves some discussion. Chris Mortenson commented that the labor situation may very well stifle some coaching changes this year.

Stifle bengal coaching changes but doesn't seem to be stopping any other team.

Too early to say that. Sure we've had 4 firings so far but he said if not for the labor situation, we'd have 10-12. So will teams like Cleveland, Miami, Tennessee, Carolina, San Diego, Oakland, NY Giants and even Dallas/Minnesota fire their existing coaches due to having to install a new scheme in this environment?

I heard an interesting point yesterday on ESPN radio that I think deserves some discussion. Chris Mortenson commented that the labor situation may very well stifle some coaching changes this year.

Stifle bengal coaching changes but doesn't seem to be stopping any other team.

Too early to say that. Sure we've had 4 firings so far but he said if not for the labor situation, we'd have 10-12. So will teams like Cleveland, Miami, Tennessee, Carolina, San Diego, Oakland, NY Giants and even Dallas/Minnesota fire their existing coaches due to having to install a new scheme in this environment?

-Cleveland I would say posability but with the Big Show running the team Yes I see Eric mangina being fired.

-Miami I don't think they would fire either way and he gets a 3rd year.

-Tennesee Fisher will more then likely be gone but I could see them keeping him.

-Carolina John Fox is a dead man walking no way he returns

-Norv Turner He was rewarded with a 3 year extension so job was never really in jeopardy

-Oakland I don't see the labor agreement effecting al davis's judgements I think if Cable returns its because the raiders have had solid improvement under him

The only team I really see being in the same boat as the Bengals is the Jaguars,But I still think they'll get a new CBA done I just can't see players wanting to go unpaid for a entire season.

The only team I really see being in the same boat as the Bengals is the Jaguars,But I still think they'll get a new CBA done I just can't see players wanting to go unpaid for a entire season.

If they hold out until Sept they won't miss a single paycheck but there will be a lot of lost time for coaches to install a system

Please do not resign Marvin. Marvin has no game management, cannot control his players and fails to identify talent or get the most out of his players. Even if we forget about Simpson, look at players like Ahmad Brooks or Matt Toeaiana. The guys were drafted here, never amounted to much and were lost to either being cut or being snatched from the practice squad. A good coach can identify talent or potential and coach that player up enough to get something out of them.

There was an article on Espn today regarding diamonds in the rough or players who were not drafted but turned out to be good players. I believe that there was one or two players from the bengals. Most teams had 4 or 5, and some like the patriots had 10-12. My point is, even if Mike Brown is ruining the drafts, Marvin isnt doing much to get the most out of his players while they are here.

Goodbye Marvin. Give me Zimmer, at least I wont have to listen to a stupid nervous laugh and smart ass comments during the post game.