THE CHANGES THREAD...Marvin to return

combatbengal

Roster bonus I get but that sounds like a crappy deal for the team if they owe him nearly half of his salary if he is not re-signed for the final year.

My understanding is that roster bonuses are used to protect vets against getting cut during camp. It makes a certain amount of sense, it's basically saying 'if you want me around this year, commit in March, otherwise cut me loose.' Honestly, any decent agent should be using roster bonuses during the last half of a multi-year deal for veterans.

In this case, it's a nice reminder on Mike Brown's desk calendar to toss him on his ass the day before it comes due.

It may be standard practice in the NFL but I don't really know. However, I keep hearing the number $3.5M. That seems awfully "generous" considering that the option price is $6M and there is a good chance he would get picked up by someone and get paid by them too.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

COB..."Faith" in the blind hope sense. This is my small window to pray for change. If reality sets in, I will deal w/ that crushing disappointment then. Until then, don't harsh my mellow...

COB..."Faith" in the blind hope sense. This is my small window to pray for change. If reality sets in, I will deal w/ that crushing disappointment then. Until then, don't harsh my mellow...

Got it. Faith in a higher power. Faith in all the good that exists in the world. Blind faith that things will get better, that things can't stay 4-12 forever.

Faith that no one is stupid enough to pay 6 million bucks for a player that was clearly outplayed by his understudy.

It is what it is COB. I am at a fragile point in my fandom. If I wallow in despair just now, that may be it for me. I already documented a few weeks back just how close I am to the breaking point...

It is what it is COB. I am at a fragile point in my fandom. If I wallow in despair just now, that may be it for me. I already documented a few weeks back just how close I am to the breaking point...

I remember that, you were close to bailing. Hang in there, see my sig below for inspiration.

So, instead of forcing people to read 28 pages of changes I have decided to give a cliff notes version of the changes to this point:

Nothing. That is all.

A fair point.

Perhaps it's time to let this thread die a shameful death. Perhaps we would all be better served if each possible change was given it's own thread, ala the Brat Deathwatch.

Where are we Chad haters supposed to go to vent our spleens? Must we do it here, in this tired and utterly depressing thread that was originally titled..."Will Marvin be Fired?"

I feel cheated. Worse, I know that if I start yet another Chad thread I'll only further provoke his biggest apologist. So I do nothing even though I long to start another thread in the vein of "Bubble Gum Flavored Vodka and Fried Chicken Theatre"

Don't make me beg.

Give me the stupidity I deserve.

Collinsworth: Bengals "got it right" in re-upping Marvin Lewis and are a "mortal lock" to win the AFC North next season.

I don't know what Chris is smoking but I sure wish he'd pass me some... :smoke:

Yeah, I'm getting in the mood again. My self-imposed two month ban may have been two months too long.

But to clarify, the "mortal lock" remark is a joking reminder of his 2010 prediction that the division sweeping Bengals were the real deal and would easily win the AFCN again....a prediction Warren and Phil never let him forget.

BTW, Jason Whitlock was this weeks guest and the debate about his latest "Patriot Way" article quickly turned to race and got pretty heated. Considering how often Bengal bashers express their desire to operate as New England does it might make for a violently fun thread.

Jason Whitlock was this weeks guest and the debate about his latest "Patriot Way" article quickly turned to race and got pretty heated. Considering how often Bengal bashers express their desire to operate as New England does it might make for a violently fun thread.

I wonder if it is also in Kansas City. There was a segment done recently about how the Chiefs look for players from two-parent households when scouting talent and that has raised a few eyebrows. However they did win 10 games and their division. GM Scott Pioli was with the Pats for a number of years. He probably took a copy of the "playbook" with him.

Jason Whitlock was this weeks guest and the debate about his latest "Patriot Way" article quickly turned to race and got pretty heated. Considering how often Bengal bashers express their desire to operate as New England does it might make for a violently fun thread.

I wonder if it is also in Kansas City. There was a segment done recently about how the Chiefs look for players from two-parent households when scouting talent and that has raised a few eyebrows. However they did win 10 games and their division. GM Scott Pioli was with the Pats for a number of years. He probably took a copy of the "playbook" with him.

There's a little more to Whitlock's rant and the New England way than the two-parent household angle. But yeah, a willingness to be coached, family stability, and a willingness to sacrifice individual goals in favor of team success are all core concepts.

Whitlock has always been adamant about his criticism of certain NFL players, and his support for the Patriot Way, are both based upon cultural factors, not race itself. He's constantly blasting what he calls hip hop culture. But regardless, once you get past theory how do you seperate culture from race? And at the risk of offending everyone...(gulp)...when debating the Patriot Way how do you ignore the unusual racial makeup of the Patriots team, especially on offense? Is there another team in the NFL that has an all-white offensive line? Or a higher percentage of white skill position players? What other NFL team so often lines up on offense using only one or two black players?

Just saying....

Interesting concept if it has any validity.

Just as an aside, I heard that Jeff Fisher has only had 6 winning seasons in Tennessee since he began there in 1994. In that time he has been to one Superbowl and has a 5-6 record in the playoffs. In the period since 2003 when Marvin was hired, Fisher has won the AFC South one time and is 0-3 in the playoffs. For all of the hype about this guy, he is somewhat mediocre and very comparable to our guy over the same span.

I went looking for the Whitlock article that was mentioned so often on "Inside the NFL" and unless I'm missing something his most controversial written remarks weren't so much about the Patriots system itself, but rather...why it will fail in Kansas City. Nutshelled, he believes the Chiefs GM is an unchecked ego maniac and the teams head coach is an insecure fraud who can't work with top coordinators. To be fair, he does praise Pioli for drafting boyscout types, black players included, but argues the Chiefs success will be short-lived due to the GM and head coaches personality flaws. By implication, the Patriots success isn't so much a product of the so-called Patriot Way, but rather...due to it's head coach.

By implication, the Patriots success isn't so much a product of the so-called Patriot Way, but rather...due to it's head coach.

The guy just won 14 games for the fourth time which is a record after turning over most of that team over since they went 16-0 during the regular season in 2007. Is he just seeing things so clearly when compared to the rest of the league? Or has he simplified things to the point of being fail-proof? It defies explanation.