THE CHANGES THREAD...Marvin to return

combatbengal

I was done with Lewis. Done.

But, If he is able to get Mikey to step things up and come up to par with the rest of the league in the supposed deficiencies. I may be able to deal.

This is pretty much my stance well I want a Head Coaching change...I'd settle for Alexander,Brat,Ocho out & upgrades around the franchise.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But even if it's learned that Marvin only went along with the change in offensive identity reluctantly, he still went along. And it's his team, right?

Nope. It's most certainly Mikey's team. Literally, figuratively, and otherwise.

So Mike deserves all of the credit for Smashball, the division title, and the draft class that everyone seems to love?

If Brat knows he won't be fired, he's empowered to do essentially whatever he wants. What's Marvin going to do? Call the plays himself?

So Brat deserves all of the credit for Smashball, the division title, and half of the draft class that everyone seems to love?

I think Marvin tried to make the best of a terrible situation by being the grown up in the situation. The only other option seems to have been a scorched earth approach.

If by grown up you mean Marvin openly embraced all of the changes Bratkowski endorsed then I'd agree with you. If you claim further that Marvin deserves none of the blame for the failure that resulted then I'll disagree with much gusto.

But if I were forced to choose between ml stay/brat go or brat stay/ml go, I would take the former.

Same here.

One of the more interesting nuggets that's appeared this morning was Mort alleging that Marvin has Pumpkie & Boy Troy in his corner, which suggests that if Lewis does stay we might see something more than just cosmetic changes.

But if I were forced to choose between ml stay/brat go or brat stay/ml go, I would take the former.

Same here.

One of the more interesting nuggets that's appeared this morning was Mort alleging that Marvin has Pumpkie & Boy Troy in his corner, which suggests that if Lewis does stay we might see something more than just cosmetic changes.

FWIW Mike Lombardi reported that Marvin Lewis hasn't formally met with Mike Brown yet. He claims all of the meetings to date have been with others and only after negotiations are complete will the lower level types give the terms and conditions to Brown for final approval or rejection.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/35033/neither-lewis-nor-bengals-could-do-better

Neither Lewis nor Bengals could do better

But this might be a win-win for both sides. The Bengals will return their experienced coach, who brought them out of the dark ages and led the team to two playoff appearances since 2005. At the same time, Lewis also can remain an NFL head coach and buy himself more time to improve his stock for better, more stable opportunities.

/>http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/35033/neither-lewis-nor-bengals-could-do-better

But this might be a win-win for both sides. The Bengals will return their experienced coach, who brought them out of the dark ages and led the team to two playoff appearances since 2005. At the same time, Lewis also can remain an NFL head coach and buy himself more time to improve his stock for better, more stable opportunities.

Reminds me of my wedding announcements.

http://espn.go.com/b...could-do-better

Reminds me of my wedding announcements.

Ha. I think in the modern vernacular it's called "settling".

FWIW Mike Lombardi reported that Marvin Lewis hasn't formally met with Mike Brown yet. He claims all of the meetings to date have been with others and only after negotiations are complete will the lower level types give the terms and conditions to Brown for final approval or rejection.

Must be fun for Pumpkin to go into daddy's office to ask if she can get a new pony.

Must be fun for Pumpkin to go into daddy's office to ask if she can get a new pony.

Using the Darrius Heyward-Bay defense tactic in these negotiations probably wouldn't help.

So Mike deserves all of the credit for Smashball, the division title, and the draft class that everyone seems to love?

I'm talking authority, not credit. If Mikey chooses to do something, Marvin can't override him. And if Mikey orders Marvin to do something, he has to do it, unless he wants to pursue a course of action that will cause more damage than simpy trying to make the best out of working for an incompetent boss.

If the rumors are true that Marvin wanted to fire Brat but was prevented from doing so, then it seems like Marvin tried to turn the lemons into something drinkable. It worked in 2009. In 2010, it didn't.

My point isn't credit for wins and losses - Mikey's clearly overseen a whole lot of L's, and Marvin's acumen for in-game decisions is less than stellar. But I respect the way Marvin's tried to run the organization, because he's had a whole lot more success under Mikey than anybody else has.

*sigh*

http://www.cincyjung...-leaves-bengals

I really hope this is just posturing on Marvin's part, and hope even moreso that it works.

Marvin couldn't run it any worse than it's been run. So what's their beef? That he might actually know more about running a modern day football team than they do? That they might not have anything to do if Marvin is calling the shots? Or some of the family members can't justify their existence after that?

WTF Mike! Swallow your pride and gt it done. This is stupid.

I'm talking authority, not credit.

How convenient.

If Mikey chooses to do something, Marvin can't override him. And if Mikey orders Marvin to do something, he has to do it, unless he wants to pursue a course of action that will cause more damage than simpy trying to make the best out of working for an incompetent boss.

Well, somebody deserves credit for embracing Smashball tactics, and somebody deserves blame for discarding them in favor of the Two-Loon Platoon. And I remind you how both strategies were deliberately planned for and put in place by the same group of personalities prior to the season beginning.

If the rumors are true that Marvin wanted to fire Brat but was prevented from doing so, then it seems like Marvin tried to turn the lemons into something drinkable. It worked in 2009. In 2010, it didn't.

So if Brat, Marvin, or Mike are to blame for 2010 then each has to be given equal credit for 2009. Because the personalities and structure weren't changed. And again, at every turn Marvin openly embraced and defended the changes that were made. Why do that if the changes were forced upon him?

It's his team. Granted, at some level it stops being his team, and responsibility shifts to the owner, but that's true everywhere. Each head coach is given a mixed bag of control and responsibility, and each always wants more than they're given. But Marvin has done nothing, and has said even less, that would even imply he wasn't fully onboard with the hard shift towards a passing attack. From the draft choices made, to moves made in free agency, to failed gameplanning, to horribly unbalanced playcalling.

"Whatever you want, Bob."

*sigh*

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/1/4/1913671/unable-to-agree-on-franchises-direction-marvin-lewis-leaves-bengals

I really hope this is just posturing on Marvin's part, and hope even moreso that it works.

Just when you think that the Bengals can't possibly get any more ridiculous, we are treated to the spectacle of a four-win head coach issuing conditions under which he's willing to return, and a front office that's at least considering (if, apparently, not accepting) his demands.

The clowns may have left the building, but the circus is still in town...

Bengals twitter just said Marvin signed deal to return.

Just when you think that the Bengals can't possibly get any more ridiculous, we are treated to the spectacle of a four-win head coach issuing conditions under which he's willing to return, and a front office that's at least considering (if, apparently, not accepting) his demands.

According to Lap, Brown pulled his contract offer from the table last year, the lack of a CBA remains one of the strongest reason for bringing Lewis back, Brown holds Lewis accountable for his record and Lewis admits he isn't proud of it, all talks were restricted to a one or two year contract, and most of Marvin's demands are related to changing offensive coaches.

If true, the only thing I side with Lewis on is the need to change offensive coaches, and I believe that's likely to happen even if Lewis is allowed to leave....UNLESS Mike Zimmer is made head coach, an idea I have no love for.

Last, according to Lap the Bengals apparently want things resolved quickly, one way or the other, with an eye towards Lewis, or his replacement, coaching one of the Senior Bowl squads.