THE CHANGES THREAD...Marvin to return

combatbengal

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the team site Hobson just posted something that says Tuesday should be the day to find out Marvin's fate.

Then in the article he wrote this:

Bengals wide receivers Chad Ochocinco and Terrell Owens don't look to be back. Their nameplates are off their lockers and while Owens wasn't at the team meeting, The Ocho slipped out before the media arrived.

Hopefully the no nameplate thing will tell the story. If they were planning on paying him to come back, they'd surely leave his locker as is. It's over. It's finally over. GTFO Chad, I've absolutely had it with you.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Tuesday-could-be-day-for-answer/086eea7e-4c34-4e7a-a060-500fcb76ed4a

Well im very happy that the divas got there nameplates off the lockers, and i hope that means goodbye forever!!!!

I think there is more to the story with Mike and Marvin, and i really dont see them seeing eye to eye on anything.

Sure the guy who takes over here will take over a pretty young talented team, but he will also have no say in anything. Im not really sure who want to take that. In fact i can see nobody, and they are forced to hire Brat as our new HC. As of now im not getting excited, but lets hope somebody great actully gets hired.

Texans & Jaguars are remaining Faithful does Mike Brown follow?

Word is that the ball's in Marvin's court. He's had a contract offer for some time. My guess is he's shopping to see what's out there

From Marvins standpoint. I would think he would like to stay. If he can get the changes. Does anyone know his kids ages? Are they in High School? Does he have roots in the community?

He's been here for 8 years, so I would imagine he has a network of friends, etc. He also has the Community Fund thing going on.

I think Marvin's son plays FB at Indiana State. I think they might have a daughter but don't really know for sure.

/>http://www.gosycamores.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15200&ATCLID=1470098

On ESPN they just mentioned that Marvin is considered a candidate for the San Francisco job and that the Bengals will be pressing Marvin for a decision within the next 24 to 48 hours.

From Lance's blog

Marvin shops services to SF

Jim Trotter, SI, on Twitter

49ers are expected to interview marvin lewis, but it's because his people reached out to the team, not vice versa. not viewed as a legit candidate.....

marvin lewis and the 49ers doesn't fit because owner jed york wants an offensive-minded guy.

Word is that the ball's in Marvin's court. He's had a contract offer for some time. My guess is he's shopping to see what's out there

Reading some stuff from Cinci.com and Marvin's stance is simply he wants the same chance to win as other NFL Teams.

-The Ability to Fire Assistant Coaches(So I'm Guessing Brat and Alexander would have been fired a while ago)

-Increased Scouting Staff (Ya we've done okay in the draft but we still have fair share of busts

-Final Say on the 53 man(I'd welcome this we probably wouldn't have had ocho or T.O if it was up to marvin

-Indoor Practice (I ain't saying we need one but everyone else in the AFC North has one so why can't we)

I wish Mike Brown would cave on these things I could live with Marvin for another year if he would since he would finilly be on equal playing field as most other coaches and what worrys me is when Marvin Lewis leaves it's because Mike Brown doesn't want to take those extra steps to win...He wants to have last say on The Coaches His players and save every penny possible by having the worst Scouting/training/Medical staff in the nfl.

49ers are expected to interview marvin lewis, but it's because his people reached out to the team, not vice versa. not viewed as a legit candidate.....

marvin lewis and the 49ers doesn't fit because owner jed york wants an offensive-minded guy.

Maybe He's doing them a favor to get past the rooney rule and return they'll consider him for DC Job after Harbaugh is hired.

Maybe He's doing them a favor to get past the rooney rule and return they'll consider him for DC Job after Harbaugh is hired.

I know it's a different ownership group now but I think Marvin interned in SF before he got hired by Pittsburgh. Not sure if there's any connection there.

Speaking of which, Rod Woodson and Dermontti Dawson interned here last summer. Any thoughts or feelings about adding them to the staff?

I know it's a different ownership group now but I think Marvin interned in SF before he got hired by Pittsburgh. Not sure if there's any connection there.

Speaking of which, Rod Woodson and Dermontti Dawson interned here last summer. Any thoughts or feelings about adding them to the staff?

Well if Zimmer is our next HC I wouldn't mind if Coyle Became the Defensive Coordinator ;) Bring in Woodson to replace Coyle and Dawson to replace alexander ^_^

Well, whether he wants to come back or not, the bottom line is that right now he is basically unemployed.

And very likely to remain that way in regards to THIS football team. Which IMHO helps explain Marvin's series of self serving statements about how he wants to come back, but only if his demands are met. How it isn't up to the team if he comes back, but rather...is his decision to make. All of which conveniently ignores the fact that those demands weren't met last year when Marvin was named the NFL's head coach of the year.

Frankly, I think what we're seeing play out is indeed typical Mike Brown in the sense that he'll continue to let Lewis spin this thing his way, and won't utter a peep of complaint if Lewis essentially fires himself. Or if you prefer, quits without actually quitting.

So it shouldn't come as a surprise that he's calling around in search of a new gig.

I welcome it. That said, he might consider changing his last name to Rooney as I'd expect teams to begin lining up for the chance to interview Lewis before hiring others.

An update from Hobs. Some tidbits:

With the collective bargaining agreement set to expire March 4, safety Chris Crocker may have been reading the mind of the Bengals with head coach Marvin Lewis apparently mulling a return.

"With the unknown situation, the CBA, I think most teams would want to keep what they have intact," Crocker said as the Bengals scattered following Monday's final team meeting of the season. "We all hope Marvin comes back because that gives us the best opportunity to stay together and finish what we started because everyone knows we have talent in this locker room. We just need to do what we didn't do this year and finish games next year and it will be a different season."

The record was 4-12, but Crocker looks at the scores. Seven losses by seven points or less, five to playoff teams.

"We were in a lot of those games," he said.

It's believed Crocker and his mates are going to have an answer Tuesday. That follows the timeline Lewis rolled out in Sunday's post-game news conference in Baltimore in which he said he'd sleep on it if there was something to consider from the Bengals. With NFL locker rooms and facilities shutting down March 4 if there is no CBA, the lure of Lewis is stability if there is a late agreement forcing a short and hectic training camp.

The players aren't very happy about the possibility of an 18-game season, but Whitworth agreed with Lewis that the regular season stretching into late January would spur the building of an indoor facility.

"That's just common sense," Whitworth said. "If we're playing games in late January then it's going to be physically impossible to practice effectively if you don' have somewhere to go inside."

Lewis said Sunday that the status of the indoor facility isn’t an obstacle, but he wouldn't be specific about what is. Speculation centers on the status of assistant coaches.

Reading some stuff from Cinci.com and Marvin's stance is simply he wants the same chance to win as other NFL Teams.

-The Ability to Fire Assistant Coaches(So I'm Guessing Brat and Alexander would have been fired a while ago)

-Increased Scouting Staff (Ya we've done okay in the draft but we still have fair share of busts

-Final Say on the 53 man(I'd welcome this we probably wouldn't have had ocho or T.O if it was up to marvin

-Indoor Practice (I ain't saying we need one but everyone else in the AFC North has one so why can't we)

I wish Mike Brown would cave on these things I could live with Marvin for another year if he would since he would finilly be on equal playing field as most other coaches and what worrys me is when Marvin Lewis leaves it's because Mike Brown doesn't want to take those extra steps to win...He wants to have last say on The Coaches His players and save every penny possible by having the worst Scouting/training/Medical staff in the nfl.

I can only hope that Mike changes his way and gives what ever coach he hires the ability to run the team. Im sure though this will not happen, and we will end up with some crappy coach, and back in the seller of the afc north for years to come!!! Its not really exciting when you know it dosnt matter who Mike hires things will never change!

Adam Schefter just tweeted that the Bengals expect Marvin to be back and that a deal could be reached within 24 hours.

Let's hope that means they gave into to Marvin's concessions, because I think there may be a complete revolt if the entire coaching staff remains as is.

Marvin will remain

"Bengals expect HC Marvin Lewis now will remain in Cincinnati. The two sides expect to resolve any issues within next 24 hours."--Adam Schefter, ESPN, on Twitter........@AdamSchefter

This story is just beginning. The big questions remain. I think the impending labor situation played a role here. I think it played a role in Jacksonville and Houston as well. Ditto for Dallas and Minny. Still waiting for word on Tennessee

Don't get me wrong, there are many things about the way Marvin manages the game that irritate the hell out of me, but Brat is the key.

I'm wondering what, if anything, Mike Brown conceeded on in regards to giving Marvin what he wants ??

If Marvin gets more of what he thinks the team needs to be successful, I'm much better with it.

I wouldn't have had much hope for a new coach coming in here to be honest.

Stay strong Marvin. If he insists you keep Bratkowski, don't walk...run!

One thing's for sure. If he stays, we can't blame MB anymore for controlling things. His staying means he's comfortable with how much control MB is giving him. We can no longer say "MB made him do this or that". Marvin staying means he's buying into how MB runs things and he's equally culpable.