Reds Offseason 2010-2011

jjakq27

Now with the 4 year extension of Cueto for 27 million ??

Very nice work by the Reds front office to get these guys back.

This pitching staff looks stacked and they are poised for good things in 2011.

Holy hell, how nice would it be to see Arredondo return to his 2008 form in the bullpen ??

I'd rather have Volquez signed and working on Cueto but that is splittlng hairs.

Well, when it comes to Volquez, he has to show more consistency after coming back from his Tommy John surgery.

I'm hoping the offseason can go a long way with that, but we need more than 1 good game out of every 3.

Cueto at an average of 6.75 million per year for the next 4 ?? Sure, I'm very happy with that.

I'm happy with what has been done, but I think Volquez is the #1 pitcher on the team right now. He has had the offseason to work out the rust and he will be healthy and ready to go this year.

I am glad that they signed the #3 pitcher to a long term contract and getting Bruce and Votto signed is huge.

Both Cueto and Volquez are solid pitchers. I do feel that they have a long way to go to be great starters. In big games, they have folded showing a lack of mental toughness. Against weak teams it's no problem for them. Honestly, I'm more impressed with Wood and Leake. Calm demeanor, tough competitors.

Starting pitching is going to be a weak point again this year unless there are some strides made by the staff. Same with the bullpen. Too much inconsistency. We'll see.

Honestly though, for all the talk about the Reds being the favorite this year in the Central, I think it's a bit off.

They couldn't beat the big teams and I don't think it's so easy to expect another season of the Cubs beating the hell out of the Cards and then losing to everyone else to help the Reds coast to the Central title even though they went 5-5 over their last 10.

For those looking to get Volquez done, reports have them close to a 1 year deal.

I would prefer to see it a little longer, but will take what we are given.

Maybe just trying to make sure no damage to the arm ??

/>http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110129&content_id=16531742&vkey=news_cin&c_id=cin

Jocketty says the Reds wanted a multi year deal with Volquez, but he wanted the one year deal.

If his consistency doesn't improve, the one year deal may actually benefit the Reds.

If it does, they are in a position to try to keep him or let him go knowing we now have depth at the position.

Win win in my book...

• 1 month later...