Reds Offseason 2010-2011

jjakq27

Since I am about Bengal-ed out I thought I would start an offseason thread about the Reds. Here are a few of the things that have happened since the end of their season.

The options of Aaron Harang and Orlando Cabrera were not renewed. There is a chance that the Reds would take Cabrera back but at a reduced salary I'm sure. This gives Paul Janish a clear shot a being the everyday shortstop next year.

The options of Bronson Arroyo and Jonny Gomes were taken by the team. An extension for arroyo has been discussed.

Lance Nix rejected his reassignment to the minors and is no longer with the team.

I believe Corky Miller accepted reassignment and is still on the team.

The trio of Brandon Phillips, Bronson Arroyo and Scott Rolen won Gold Gloves at their positions.

Walt Jocketty was named Exec of the Year by Sporting News.

There is talk of leaving Chapman in the bullpen.

No surprising moves from the Reds so far. I'd love to see them parlay a LF or SS leadoff hitter for their surplus of young pitching

This is a low-splash move but the Reds signed Dontrelle Willis to a minor league contract with an invite to Spring Training.

I've always liked this guy. If he pans out it will be another great move by WJ.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5839593

• 2 weeks later...

Hey on the Os front, we got Mark Reynolds from the DBacks im happy about that. He strikes out alot but we needed a power bat and i really think he will fit in nice. Now we need a first baseman....mmmm...how does that dude in Mil sound? sounds good to me....lol

Extend Votto and I will be content. Trade for an ace without including Wood, Cueto, Volquez, Arroyo or Chapman and I'll be exstatic! Bailey, Maloney and Leake would all be expendable for a legitimate ace (Greinke?)

Let Stubbs audition for the leadoff spot, trade for one in May if it proves a problem. Let Heisey play more in left, too!

• 3 weeks later...

Reportedly signed Jeremy Hermida to a minor league deal. He could be a decent left handed bat off the bench, but they still haven't addressed the need for a lead off guy.

I've also seen rumors about interest in Fred Lewis.

I think this guy could help, former number 1 draft pick, just 27 years old . 6' 3' 200 lbs, should have a little pop. I would like to see him platoon with Gomes in left.

Reportedly signed Jeremy Hermida to a minor league deal. He could be a decent left handed bat off the bench, but they still haven't addressed the need for a lead off guy.

I think this guy could help, former number 1 draft pick, just 27 years old . 6' 3' 200 lbs, should have a little pop. I would like to see him platoon with Gomes in left.

I'm still hoping that Podsednik is the lead-off hitter next season, he is a spray hitter and still has adequate defense. I really wanted him at the trade deadline last year.

I'm still hoping that Podsednik is the lead-off hitter next season, he is a spray hitter and still has adequate defense. I really wanted him at the trade deadline last year.

I agree 100 percent with signing Podsednik he would be the closest thing they've had to a true leadoff hitter in some time. But what if Hermida shows a good bat in spring training and is worthy of making the club and getting some playing time in left? I would say Hermida would just be an extra bat off the bench they really need a guy that can get on base and possibly steal some bases.

Looks like the Reds are close to signing Renteria; one year deal at $3 mil, if incentives are met.

That's quite a bit of money to back up Janish, it that's the plan.

Dusty made the statement that they're both going to play , i think he's leaning toward Renteria. Todd Frazier can play third or short i would like to see him tear it up in spring training both at the plate and in the field and get a shot at either short or third I think this kid has a lot of talent. Put Renteria and Janish both on the bench , i'm not a big fan of either one.

I don't really care for Janish either. That't not to say I like Renteria so much, but I looked at his signing as filling the role Cabrerra had last season. I still like the fact that Jocketty doesn't sit back and at least targets guys that have some talent.

I agree Walt does a good job finding players , and it doesn;t hurt to have a lot of good scouts which the Reds do.It's so obvious what a good scouting department can do for any team.

• 2 weeks later...

Now with the 4 year extension of Cueto for 27 million ??

Very nice work by the Reds front office to get these guys back.

This pitching staff looks stacked and they are poised for good things in 2011.

Holy hell, how nice would it be to see Arredondo return to his 2008 form in the bullpen ??

I'd rather have Volquez signed and working on Cueto but that is splittlng hairs.

Now with the 4 year extension of Cueto for 27 million ??

Very nice work by the Reds front office to get these guys back.

This pitching staff looks stacked and they are poised for good things in 2011.

Holy hell, how nice would it be to see Arredondo return to his 2008 form in the bullpen ??

I'd rather have Volquez signed and working on Cueto but that is splittlng hairs.

Well, when it comes to Volquez, he has to show more consistency after coming back from his Tommy John surgery.

I'm hoping the offseason can go a long way with that, but we need more than 1 good game out of every 3.

Cueto at an average of 6.75 million per year for the next 4 ?? Sure, I'm very happy with that.