Went to the game today, not good!

combatbengal

One key point in the article above is untrue. The contention that they could not run the ball because they had too many 3rd and longs. Starting the second half, the had a 3rd and 2, and passed. Next possession (after muffed punt recovery) they passed again on 3rd and 2, incomplete. On another 3rd and 2, they had a pass play and Palmer scrambled, coming up short, though they went for it on 4th down and converted. So, in review, in the second half, they threw on EVERY 3rd down (9), even on the 3 third and shorts. What is written is not true. They did not even TRY to run when in a 3rd and short.

Of course it's not true and I've been saying as much since the opener against New England. And now, seven games into the season we're still looking at a team that chooses to throw on 3rd and 2, regardless of game conditions and situations, almost 87% of the time.

Some of the dumbest s**t I've ever seen....and they're still doing it. Worst of all, Bratkowski's remarks about not being able to determine the primary reason why passing on 3rd and short isn't working misses the point completely.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One key point in the article above is untrue. The contention that they could not run the ball because they had too many 3rd and longs. Starting the second half, the had a 3rd and 2, and passed. Next possession (after muffed punt recovery) they passed again on 3rd and 2, incomplete. On another 3rd and 2, they had a pass play and Palmer scrambled, coming up short, though they went for it on 4th down and converted. So, in review, in the second half, they threw on EVERY 3rd down (9), even on the 3 third and shorts. What is written is not true. They did not even TRY to run when in a 3rd and short.

Of course it's not true and I've been saying as much since the opener against New England. And now, seven games into the season we're still looking at a team that chooses to throw on 3rd and 2, regardless of game conditions and situations, almost 87% of the time.

Some of the dumbest s**t I've ever seen....and they're still doing it. Worst of all, Bratkowski's remarks about not being able to determine the primary reason why passing on 3rd and short isn't working misses the point completely.

I agree with you that with Benson and this O line they should be running more on 3rd and 2 but it is problematic that with guys like Gresham and Shipley that they're not successful more when passing in those situations. Those guys are made for 3rd and two. As an offense they're not "executing" and that gets back to Brat as well. It's his job to see to it that they execute and if they don't, he makes them stay late, run laps or bench the guilty parties until they get it right.

Here's the latest example of a Bengal player pointing a finger in the vague direction of Bob Bratkowski, not Carson Palmer, courtesy of Cedric Benson.

"The biggest thing that wears on you (is) when you have a suggestion. When you feel things could be done a little better with a slight change somewhere (and) whether you say it or not, it’s not going to matter. They’re not going to change anything. That’s kind of the frustrating part. You preach about it being a team sport, but when it comes to feedback and stuff like that, it’s not appreciated. You've got to do what you’re told. That’s the frustrating part. You just got to try and find joy being in the National Footbal League and having this wonderful opportunity and play football." --- Cedric Benson

Sounds like the corporate world... Although I do NOT care much for Benson, this is VERY alarming!!! Now Benson hasn't played at a very high level (Indy, Pitt, NE, etc) but he is a Pro. He should be able to provide some feedback and the coaches SHOULD listen. This could be one of the Bengals franchises biggest issues. Our owner and coaches are so aragant that will not take in any feedback from the players?!?

I will say that I do like the attitude of Benson. He doesn't act like a thug that can't speak. He talks well and isn't affraid to voice his opinion.

Think about if Indy wouldn't take any feedback from Manning. They wouldn't be where they are today if it weren't for the player. I'm not saying Benson should be able to roam free and call his own plays, but what he is saying holds value.

Think about if Indy wouldn't take any feedback from Manning. They wouldn't be where they are today if it weren't for the player. I'm not saying Benson should be able to roam free and call his own plays, but what he is saying holds value.

See, this is the problem with you Giz. One day you're saying you should go all Squeeler-fan and a mere 48 hours later you say something like this that actually makes a ton of sense.