Let the 2011 Preseason Begin Now

TJJackson

2010 is already over.

Yeah, sure, they're not eliminated yet numerically. They can still go 12-4. Uh-huh.

For me, the success of this season lies in getting the new kids lots of reps and lots of playing time. The older guys, especially the ones with contracts expiring at the end of the year, can sit.

It's time to start preparing for the 2011 season

I'm not jumping off the fan base, the Bengals are still my beloved home team. But with Pittsburgh and the Baltimore so far ahead already and the quality (or lack thereof) of play thus far, I think it is reasonable to say - "hey, we're not going to the playoffs, so what can we do successfully this year?" Well, we can get the youngsters ready for next year.

Sit the following players: Ochodroppo, Terrible, Bobbie W, Reggie K, Tank, JumpyJr, Odom (even after he returns from suspension/injury), Frostee, Dhani, Roy Williams (even after he recovers)

Split Cedric's time 50/50 with B Scott, so Scott gets more reps and the wear and tear on Cedric is limited.

Play the following players: Simpson (yeah, I'm surprised I am typed that too, but finally throw him in the water to see if he sinks or swims), Quan, Shipley (Shipley needs to start RIGHT NOW), Gresham (I think he already is in on virtually ever snap, but they don't use him enough, do more chip-and-go's), Stephens or Collins in Bobbie's spot, Atkins, MJ, Dunlap, Rey at MLB instead of SSLB, Brandon at SSLB, and Ghee wherever possible, certainly at dime and maybe a little at S? We really don't have an heir apparent at either S spot.

Other in-season priorities: Extend the two corners. Do it NOW. Determine if Dan Lefeouver can be developed into a starter or not. If he can, commit to him. If not, plan on drafting a QB high as Carson's heir apparent.

Offseason priorities, player: (in no particular order). Find a pass-rusher, a real one. Find an OL or two who can block and be physical, get mean/nasty - be the bully, as Hair sometimes puts it. Find a cover S, maybe two. Draft a durable power bellcow RB in the r3-r5 range.

Offseason priorities, non-player: Get a better Offensive Coordinator. One who will install system fitting the personnel we have and will draft, not one who will impose a system that may not be the best fit for the personnel.

I agree with this approach.

I'd give it till mid-way through the 2nd quarter in each remaining game with usual starters (like pre-season) and be aggressive with yanking whoever commits the error or contributes with mistakes. When veteran players cannot execute the basics of their jobs, then they can ride some pine. It will give young players pro minutes, and either motivate the replaced vet or run them out of town. Fine by me.

This is something the coaching staff probably won't do but I'd support it if they did.

I understand the intent and probably even agree with it. Still, I don't think any coaches or players could seriously give up on a football season at 2-4, regardless of how difficult it will probably be to return to contention. I don't expect anything and solemnly await that frustrating #10 draft pick, but I'm a fan. If the actual team adopts that mindset, I'd be forced to consider leaving football in my rear-view completely.

I understand the intent and probably even agree with it. Still, I don't think any coaches or players could seriously give up on a football season at 2-4, regardless of how difficult it will probably be to return to contention. I don't expect anything and solemnly await that frustrating #10 draft pick, but I'm a fan. If the actual team adopts that mindset, I'd be forced to consider leaving football in my rear-view completely.

I guess I like Kingwilly's adjustment even better - you start until you make a stupid mistake (like a false start) or show lack of fire/effort/physicality, and at that point a young guy takes over and you sit the rest of the game.

Major Exception: they need to get Shipley out there for every single offensive down. Period. Either clown number 1 or clown number 2 needs to take a seat - maybe they can alternate downs (or alternate clowns)?

I'm not giving up on the Bengals' season yet. They can easily still go 10-6 for the division, or depending on how the other teams in the AFC definitely have a shot at the wildcard.

The Colts though really good have showed signs that they are not the same team anymore and without Dallas Clark are suspect-able to an upset.

The Jets are over rated.

The Saints just got their asses handed to them by the Browns, loss to the Falcons and Cardinals and barley beat Carolina.

The Bills undoubtedly are one of the worse teams in the NFL trumping the Raiders. Yesterday was an anominally.

We play the Chargers at home instead of traveling to their s**thole which is usually as bad for the team as the Generals playing the Globetrotters.

The Steelers beat Baltimore once and have to play them again and also get to play the red hot Patriots who for some reason look better without Moss. Plus they have to play the Bengals 2 times which can be a huge 2 game swing in the Bengals favor.

Baltimore already has lost to the Bengals and the Patriots and still have Houston, Miami, and Tampa Bay (according to their coach they are the best NFC team.).

SO I'm not giving up just yet and think they can still make the playoffs. If TO gets that left foot down or Benson doesn't fumble untouched yesterday I think a lot of people's opinions would be greatly different today. The offense did manage to put up a whole mess of yards yesterday against a team that a lot of the talking heads out there have ordained to the SuperBowl already.

WHO DEY

I'm not giving up on the Bengals' season yet. They can easily still go 10-6 for the division, or depending on how the other teams in the AFC definitely have a shot at the wildcard.

The Colts though really good have showed signs that they are not the same team anymore and without Dallas Clark are suspect-able to an upset.

The Jets are over rated.

The Saints just got their asses handed to them by the Browns, loss to the Falcons and Cardinals and barley beat Carolina.

The Bills undoubtedly are one of the worse teams in the NFL trumping the Raiders. Yesterday was an anominally.

We play the Chargers at home instead of traveling to their s**thole which is usually as bad for the team as the Generals playing the Globetrotters.

The Steelers beat Baltimore once and have to play them again and also get to play the red hot Patriots who for some reason look better without Moss. Plus they have to play the Bengals 2 times which can be a huge 2 game swing in the Bengals favor.

Baltimore already has lost to the Bengals and the Patriots and still have Houston, Miami, and Tampa Bay (according to their coach they are the best NFC team.).

SO I'm not giving up just yet and think they can still make the playoffs. If TO gets that left foot down or Benson doesn't fumble untouched yesterday I think a lot of people's opinions would be greatly different today. The offense did manage to put up a whole mess of yards yesterday against a team that a lot of the talking heads out there have ordained to the SuperBowl already.

WHO DEY

If you think this team can go 8-2 from here out, you are nuts. This team will be lucky to win 3 more games the whole year.

Your assessment of the "what if's" regarding TO and Benson are sad. If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride. The fact is they didn't make the plays.

There is nothing that will come of this season. The D is mailing it in. The O is a clusterfark of errors and egos. The coaches are a complete joke.

I mean, you do recognize this, right? You do recognize that the Falcons played very differently on D when they got such a big lead, and any "mess of yards" the Bengals put up was really just a mirage, a simple byproduct of a very soft, compliant D, just like the NE game?

Please tell me you recognize this.

LOL,

I'm a fan of the team Willy. You can bag the team and look forward to next season if you want. But I'm not done watching football this season and will root the Bengals on for the rest of the season with hopes that they can still make the playoffs.

You do recognize that the Falcons played very differently on D when they got such a big lead, and any "mess of yards" the Bengals put up was really just a mirage, a simple byproduct of a very soft, compliant D, just like the NE game?

Not entirely. The Falcons certainly eased up early in the third, but that ended once the Bengals closed to within five. And after Jones gave them the lead, it was a dogfight. Everybody remembers the invisible defender stripping Benson for the game-killing fumble, but that happened on the Atlanta 39, on a drive that began on the Bengals' 25.

I wouldn't read a lot into what the O did for about the first 13 minutes of the second half, but those were quality yards and points after that.

I dont know about sitting all these starters, but yesterday i was saying in the first half that Marvin should sit Chad. Marvin needs to set some kind of example, that this team is not going to take anyones crap. The problem is i dont think Marvin has the balls to sit him. This team needs some kind of disapline handed to them, and whatever it takes to happen i hope they do.

I do think the young players should "play more" i just dont think they should start and play the whole game.

I think I will renew this request weekly throughout the season

I like the suggestion tho that each normal starters start, but gets yanked and replace dby a youngster when/if they shows lack of effort or pick up a pre-snap penalty

So on second down of the first drive, then? ;)

Incidentally, put me on the bandwagon for this idea. Love it. Gotta get the talented youngsters more reps.

Gonna be awkward when J. Palmer is playing in the second quarter tho.

2010 is already over.

Yeah, sure, they're not eliminated yet numerically. They can still go 12-4. Uh-huh.

For me, the success of this season lies in getting the new kids lots of reps and lots of playing time. The older guys, especially the ones with contracts expiring at the end of the year, can sit.

It's time to start preparing for the 2011 season

I'm not jumping off the fan base, the Bengals are still my beloved home team. But with Pittsburgh and the Baltimore so far ahead already and the quality (or lack thereof) of play thus far, I think it is reasonable to say - "hey, we're not going to the playoffs, so what can we do successfully this year?" Well, we can get the youngsters ready for next year.

Sit the following players: Ochodroppo, Terrible, Bobbie W, Reggie K, Tank, JumpyJr, Odom (even after he returns from suspension/injury), Frostee, Dhani, Roy Williams (even after he recovers)

Split Cedric's time 50/50 with B Scott, so Scott gets more reps and the wear and tear on Cedric is limited.

Play the following players: Simpson (yeah, I'm surprised I am typed that too, but finally throw him in the water to see if he sinks or swims), Quan, Shipley (Shipley needs to start RIGHT NOW), Gresham (I think he already is in on virtually ever snap, but they don't use him enough, do more chip-and-go's), Stephens or Collins in Bobbie's spot, Atkins, MJ, Dunlap, Rey at MLB instead of SSLB, Brandon at SSLB, and Ghee wherever possible, certainly at dime and maybe a little at S? We really don't have an heir apparent at either S spot.

Other in-season priorities: Extend the two corners. Do it NOW. Determine if Dan Lefeouver can be developed into a starter or not. If he can, commit to him. If not, plan on drafting a QB high as Carson's heir apparent.

Offseason priorities, player: (in no particular order). Find a pass-rusher, a real one. Find an OL or two who can block and be physical, get mean/nasty - be the bully, as Hair sometimes puts it. Find a cover S, maybe two. Draft a durable power bellcow RB in the r3-r5 range.

Offseason priorities, non-player: Get a better Offensive Coordinator. One who will install system fitting the personnel we have and will draft, not one who will impose a system that may not be the best fit for the personnel.

I'm with you 100%

Any thoughts on the new coach? I don't want Zimmer. We won't get Gruden or Cowher. What about Brian Schoettenhemier?

I was out at my daughters' post-season soccer tournaments, so i did not watch the game - but I checked the official Gamebook and near as I can tell the first pre-snap penalty was a false start by the Flesh Zeppelin with about a minute to go in the first half

/>http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/54827/CIN_Gamebook.pdf

1-10-CIN 45 (1:06) PENALTY on CIN-A.Smith, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at CIN 45 - No Play.

There is no penalty shown for the first drive

I was out at my daughters' post-season soccer tournaments, so i did not watch the game - but I checked the official Gamebook and near as I can tell the first pre-snap penalty was a false start by the Flesh Zeppelin with about a minute to go in the first half

/>http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/54827/CIN_Gamebook.pdf

1-10-CIN 45 (1:06) PENALTY on CIN-A.Smith, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at CIN 45 - No Play.

There is no penalty shown for the first drive

I think that was one minute left in the 1st quarter. After that penalty and they end up punting. The defense gets on the field and then gets their 1st penalty. That's when I told my ole lady it was over because it was downhill from here when they start getting penalties.