Fire Marvin

walzav29

only one thing is as amazing as the Bengal's loss this week, and that is the number of people to jump on the "Fire Marvin" bandwagon this week. I have been critical of Marvin for a LONG time and caught plenty of flack for it. This is definitely one of those "hate to be right" circumstances.

Knee-jerk reactions are silly, and prior to this season just about all of the anti-Marvin talk fit that description. People's complaints with him have often been utterly insane, completely unrelated to anything he actually struggles with. Yes, his clock management is horrific and too often do his teams seem to make mind-boggling errors.

But all of the negative talk about his "desire to win" or ability as a motivator has always been nonsense and that still isn't any different. There've been two instances in recent seasons when this team sorely needed a good motivator (primarily after 2002 and after 2008). Both times Marvin came through.

With the talent currently in place, a motivator is less useful and someone more adept at handling in-game technicalities would be nice.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It sucks to wait all year long for the football season to start and then have your favorite team come out and lay an egg like this. Here's to hoping something can get turned around to make the rest of the year semi-exciting.

I don't know if I want things to get turned around. I'm soooo tired of it that if no one is fired now, I guess it has to get worse before it gets better, ie. rebuild and get my boy TPryor!

Hell no to Pryor! The Bengals do not need an inaccurate QB, they already have one.

If the Bengals take anyone, give me Andrew Luck or Jake Locker. Luck is more of a pocket passer, and Locker gives you that Tony Romo like running/passing threat. I really don't know which of the 2 I would prefer, but unless the O-line gets better, Locker would probably do better with his mobility.

Hah! You can have him. True winners don't have seasons like this outside of their rookie year.

Palmer sucks, but I still have to ask... What IS a "true winner"? What does that even mean?

Are you serious with that question? I'll throw you a bone here...QB's like Brady and Manning. As far as the Mannings go, pick either of the two.

only one thing is as amazing as the Bengal's loss this week, and that is the number of people to jump on the "Fire Marvin" bandwagon this week. I have been critical of Marvin for a LONG time and caught plenty of flack for it. This is definitely one of those "hate to be right" circumstances.

Knee-jerk reactions are silly, and prior to this season just about all of the anti-Marvin talk fit that description. People's complaints with him have often been utterly insane, completely unrelated to anything he actually struggles with. Yes, his clock management is horrific and too often do his teams seem to make mind-boggling errors.

But all of the negative talk about his "desire to win" or ability as a motivator has always been nonsense and that still isn't any different. There've been two instances in recent seasons when this team sorely needed a good motivator (primarily after 2002 and after 2008). Both times Marvin came through.

With the talent currently in place, a motivator is less useful and someone more adept at handling in-game technicalities would be nice.

How can you say this guy is any type of motivator? If he was, this team would come running out of the locker room ready to rip some heads off from the opening kickoff. They also would be able to come out after halftime ready to put some points on the board and opponents on stretchers. Instead they come out like they are about to play a game of tennis or golf.

Hah! You can have him. True winners don't have seasons like this outside of their rookie year.

Palmer sucks, but I still have to ask... What IS a "true winner"? What does that even mean?

Are you serious with that question? I'll throw you a bone here...QB's like Brady and Manning. As far as the Mannings go, pick either of the two.

So essentially you're referring to quarterbacks who simply play the position better than Palmer plays it? :P

There are a lot of those out there, including a couple who consistently hear criticism for "not being a winner", like Romo. I just hate the concept and almost always ignore it.

How can you say this guy is any type of motivator? If he was, this team would come running out of the locker room ready to rip some heads off from the opening kickoff.

They do. Sometimes it even happens.

They also would be able to come out after halftime ready to put some points on the board and opponents on stretchers. Instead they come out like they are about to play a game of tennis or golf.

I don't know what you're watching, but they typically look pretty fired up regardless of circumstance. Hell, after Palmer's third pick today the defense was still out there looked amped up (even if they eventually failed). The Bengals make mistakes, but it's never because they don't care. That's stupid.

How can you say this guy is any type of motivator? If he was, this team would come running out of the locker room ready to rip some heads off from the opening kickoff.

They do. Sometimes it even happens., but it's never because they don't care. That's stupid.

Name the last time the Bengals came out and simply destroyed a team, winning by 20+ points. Finding the answer to that question will take a bit of research.

They do. Sometimes it even happens., but it's never because they don't care. That's stupid.

Name the last time the Bengals came out and simply destroyed a team, winning by 20+ points. Finding the answer to that question will take a bit of research.

Well they did that to Chicago last season, but I don't understand the relevance. To be considered "motivated" a team has to win in a blowout?

They also would be able to come out after halftime ready to put some points on the board and opponents on stretchers. Instead they come out like they are about to play a game of tennis or golf.

I don't know what you're watching, but they typically look pretty fired up regardless of circumstance. Hell, after Palmer's third pick today the defense was still out there looked amped up (even if they eventually failed). The Bengals make mistakes, but it's never because they don't care. That's stupid.

Really? Are we watching the same games? Ok here's one for you, when is the last time you saw Marvin get mad on the sidelines after one of his players made some idiot play? When is the last time you saw Marvin pull a guy to the side and chew his ass out? Today was the first time I have even seen Marvin walk over to a player like he did with Gresham and say something to him.

BTW they just showed part of the Marvin news conference and he said it was his call to pass on the third and long that got picked off. He basically said they have to play to win and not to lose...well that is good and all except who's fault was the rest of the piss poor play calling throughout the game?

Well they did that to Chicago last season, but I don't understand the relevance. To be considered "motivated" a team has to win in a blowout?

Marvin sucks he cant motivate this team. He is never fired up on the sideline, never seems to get in guys face, i never see him getting these guys ready to play.

When was the last time you seen Marvin do any in game changes, or at least half time adjustments. Give me one other team that switches there offense line from quarter to quarter.

This team is a waste of talent, and its a real shame.

Really? Are we watching the same games? Ok here's one for you, when is the last time you saw Marvin get mad on the sidelines after one of his players made some idiot play? When is the last time you saw Marvin pull a guy to the side and chew his ass out?

You guys define "motivator" in a very strange way. As if it were relevant to the discussion: I think it was the Carolina game when Marvin gave Kyle Cook the business.

Today was the first time I have even seen Marvin walk over to a player like he did with Gresham and say something to him.

No it wasn't. Your memory may be short because such minor sequences as that aren't likely to stick in the long term, but you've definitely seen Marvin talk to a player on the sideline before.

Okay, last October. Once a year ain't gonna cut it.

I don't see your point. The team has been motivated to win plenty of times since that Chicago game. Frankly they were motivated to win every time.

Sometimes a team which is highly motivated to win... loses. Eh?

Really? Are we watching the same games? Ok here's one for you, when is the last time you saw Marvin get mad on the sidelines after one of his players made some idiot play? When is the last time you saw Marvin pull a guy to the side and chew his ass out? Today was the first time I have even seen Marvin walk over to a player like he did with Gresham and say something to him.

BTW they just showed part of the Marvin news conference and he said it was his call to pass on the third and long that got picked off. He basically said they have to play to win and not to lose...well that is good and all except who's fault was the rest of the piss poor play calling throughout the game?

Really well then Marvin is a bigger waste of a coach then what i thought. Who the heck passes like that, when you are trying to run the clock down and win the game. Heck punt the ball and make Tampa drive, dont be stupid. Marvin your a waste!

Yeah, I've been a Carson supporter for a long time. He looks really done.

Definitely time to fire Marvin, fire Brat etc...

I think Zimmer doesn't deserve the boot just yet.

This was the year that everything was supposed to be fine. Last year Chris Henry died and Coles sucked, the year before that Carson had his elbow thing. Now we added TO, Gresham and Shipley, and nothing has gotten better. There are no more excuses for Brat and Palmer. It pains me to say it but I think we're going to have to rebuild and go through a few years of losing records.

Yeah I'd love Jake Locker or that kid from Stanford.

I'm a Buckeyes fan but hell no never ever ever for TP on this team.

i never see him getting these guys ready to play.

Well of course you don't. You're not in the locker room prior to kickoff.

Can you scan a copy of your press pass or Bengal's ID that allows you into the locker room and then post it for us? I want to see how you get your point of view as well.

:sure:

I don't see your point.
My point is to make the playoffs you MUST dominate teams like the Browns and Bucs. We didn't, and these past two games that ended up as losses to inferior teams will cost us the playoffs. Pittsburgh and Baltimore doesn't lose games like this one. That's all.

I don't mean to get in the middle of your guys' discussion but the point of the matter is...Marvin is a turrible coach.

I think he's a coach perfectly suited for teams lacking in talent. His tenure with the Bengals has lasted long enough though and I'm ready for a change.