Odds not good for opening win

cincykent

Enquirer staff writer

Training camp has yet to open, and an odds maker already has the Bengals a 31/2-point underdog in their season opener at the New York Jets on Sept. 12.

Three points is usually the starting margin given to a home team.

Danny Sheridan's line was published last week in USA Today.

The Bengals also are a 4-point underdog in the preseason opener Aug. 14 at Tampa Bay, according to Sheridan.

PALMER PRESS: Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer is featured in the issue of Sports Illustrated dated July 26.

"Can Carson Palmer cut it in Cincinnati?" is the article's title.

The story examines the decision by coach Marvin Lewis to promote Palmer over Jon Kitna and how Palmer has prepared to be the team's starting quarterback.

The article reveals, too, how Palmer started to put down a foundation of leadership by entertaining teammates and their families at his Tristate home for Monday night football parties.

It also mentions how Palmer had offensive linemen and tight ends over during the winter to play paintball in the woods behind his house.

DON'T FORGET CHAD: Chad Johnson is ranked as the NFL's seventh-best wide receiver in an on-going series of player rankings in USA Today Sports Weekly.

Johnson, analysts write, "has the complete package. He's big, he can run and he can make big plays. If anybody is going to be the next (Randy) Moss, it's him. For sure, (Johnson) doesn't lack the confidence."

Actually, those odds are excellent. Like Curnette says, the home team is usually spotted 3 points, so we are effectively a 1/2 point dog to the Jets and a 1 point dog to the Bucs. Sheesh, whaddya want? 2-3 years ago we would have opened at least a 7.5 point dog against the Jets and a 10 point dog to the Bucs!

My first prediction for this season (hey, if the bookies can give odds before TC starts, I can predict, too!):

Bengals 27, Jets 24

Prediction for game 1:

Bengals 28, Jets 21

I think that Pennington will get a good taste of the improved Bengals secondary, and Palmer will struggle but ultimately pull out the win.

Rudi will run for 150.

And I smell LETDOWN:

Jets 24 Bungles 10

I'm going to say that Palmer has a rough opening day. Many 3-and-outs for the Bungle Offense. Pennington lights up the Bungles D (the defense will get stranded on the field). "My Favorite Martian" Curtis Martin runs for 110. The Jets hold the ball 10 minutes longer than the Bungles.

Hey, I'm just being honest here.

:angry::angry:

And I smell LETDOWN:

Jets 24 Bungles 10

I'm going to say that Palmer has a rough opening day.  Many 3-and-outs for the Bungle Offense.  Pennington lights up the Bungles D (the defense will get stranded on the field).  "My Favorite Martian" Curtis Martin runs for 110.  The Jets hold the ball 10 minutes longer than the Bungles.

:angry:  :angry:

And I smell fool.

Palmer will surprise his toughest critics by throwing about 15 times while we ride the back of Rudi Johnson and Chris Perry all over the Jets defense, or lack there of.

Curtis Martin runs for 50 yards, as we discover last year wasn't a fluke, it was the beginning of the end for this old warhorse. Sometimes you just have to send them off to the glue factory.

The Bengals hold the ball for nearly 12 minutes longer than the Jets.

Bet on it.

Should see a score closer to 31-21 favor Cincy'.

- Palmer isn't going against a good defense, and should be in rhythm from the Preseason.

- Jets have no rush Defense, and have recently moved linebacker John Abraham to End permanently which gives another size advantage for Rudi and Perry to go wild against very soft linebackers and secondary.

Stats -

Palmer 17 -30 2 tds. 1 int. 252 yds. - 1 sack.

Rudi - 19 car. 89 yards. 2 td's.

Perry - 12 car. 54 yards. - 2 catches - 22 yds.

Palmer - 2 car. 9 yds.

---

Chad Johnson - 4 rec. 72 yds. 1 td.

Warrick - 5 rec. - 82 yds. - 1 td.

Schobel - 3 rec. - 49 yds.

Defensive stats. - 113 yds. allowed rushing.

1- fumble recovery.

-------------------- 225 yds. allowed passing.

2-interceptions.

Tied at 14 at halftime.

Bengals win turnover battle in second half to go 1-0. :D

And I smell LETDOWN:

Jets 24 Bungles 10

I'm going to say that Palmer has a rough opening day.  Many 3-and-outs for the Bungle Offense.  Pennington lights up the Bungles D (the defense will get stranded on the field).  "My Favorite Martian" Curtis Martin runs for 110.  The Jets hold the ball 10 minutes longer than the Bungles.

And I smell fool.

Palmer will surprise his toughest critics by throwing about 15 times while we ride the back of Rudi Johnson and Chris Perry all over the Jets defense, or lack there of.

Curtis Martin runs for 50 yards, as we discover last year wasn't a fluke, it was the beginning of the end for this old warhorse. Sometimes you just have to send them off to the glue factory.

Bet on it.

Fool--OUCH!!! I'm really toasted over here, Artrell Hawkins-style. Man, you really got me burning up over here, Mr. Witty.

:lol::lol:

If you think you've got what it takes, meet me in the Smack Forum.

And I smell LETDOWN:

Jets 24 Bungles 10

And I smell fool.

Bet on it.

Fool--OUCH!!! I'm really toasted over here, Artrell Hawkins-style. Man, you really got me burning up over here, Mr. Witty.

:lol::lol:

If you think you've got what it takes, meet me in the Smack Forum.

I'm not talking smack, I'm talking predictions for the season. I smell you being drowned in the past decade and not getting your head out of the crap we put up with during that time. And if you can't get past that, you can never see the future.

I agree with Chris...the Jets have a soft run defense and the Bengals will be able to attack the defense with the O-line and the RBs doing their thing. Also, no one can cover CJ!! I think he'll have more than 72yds in the opener. Martin is wearing down, but he has a damn good fullback who can help him on the ground and who can be an excellent outlet for Pennington. If the Bengals can pressure the QB then Pennington will have a hard time,with his receivers, and the Bengals will not get burned by him. I say its a 3 point victory for the Bengals, down to the wire 24-21.