Bengals at Panthers Pre-game discussion thread

membengal

Coming into the season I felt that the run defense would be the Bengals' biggest strength. Through the first two games I've been pretty disappointed, granted against two teams that didn't run much.

They gave up 87 to the Pats, and 109 to the Ravens, a run first team. What more do you want?

FFS.

Find something else to complain about....

First on my list is Palmer.

The Run D, not.

In my view, they got a bit lucky against the Ravens that Baltimore did not commit to the run more. Rice was 87 yards, but on only 16 carries. At no point did I feel they were really shutting down the Baltimore running game. A lot of HoF types over here in Baltimore this week, confused as hell that Baltimore threw it as much as they did when their running game was so effective. I don't think they are wrong.

Coming into the season I felt that the run defense would be the Bengals' biggest strength. Through the first two games I've been pretty disappointed, granted against two teams that didn't run much.

They gave up 87 to the Pats, and 109 to the Ravens, a run first team. What more do you want?

FFS.

Find something else to complain about....

First on my list is Palmer.

The Run D, not.

Spare me the needless twatery, eh?

There's more to run defense than just "yards allowed", and membengal just explained my primary issue well enough. Had the Ravens run more I think their chance of winning would have been better.

I never said I am worried the run defense will continue those relative struggles. Going into a game against a team which boasts two excellent backs, however, you'd better believe it's something worth mention.

I can't explain the lack of runs from the Ravens either and think the stat line of yards allowed, while pleasant to look at, is skewed.

It's not to say I'm concerned with our run defense, but i'm also not so comforted by it to allow an unconcerned viewpoint headed into this weekends game going against two VERY good running backs who will surely be expected to carry the load for the rookie QB's first start.

This is exactly why I would like to see the Bengals simply contain the run and force Claussen to throw more. My ultimate happiness in this coming game would be seeing the Bengals pound Benson, control the clock, get a lead, and then force the Panthers into a position where you know they have to throw more. All the while applying some nice pass rush.

Then again, I would like to see that every weekend !!!

A lot of HoF types over here in Baltimore this week, confused as hell that Baltimore threw it as much as they did when their running game was so effective. I don't think they are wrong.

Of course they're not wrong, and I'm not wrong either. :lmao:

In fact, if you take the Bengals out of the picture you can see plenty of evidence of other NFL teams thriving simply by running the ball and playing good defense, including a Pittsburgh team that has benefitted greatly from a return to it's Cro-Mag roots. Or how about Miami's sudden conversion into tough guys? Conversely, you can find plenty of evidence of teams who were thought to be elite who are now reaching for the panic button precisely because their own clockwork passing games have not only struggled, but actually ruined their chances for success. Dallas and Minnesota for just two high profile examples. Granted, both of those teams may be able to turn their passing games around, but if they can't do it instantly they're all but f**ked, and IMHO they'll only have themselves to blame.

That said, here's my last thought on the Ravens. The Bengals own them precisely because they know them so well. And because of that familiarity the Ravens pressure packages don't work worth spit against the Bengals. Thus, their so-called elite defense can't cause the same type of havoc as seen against other teams. And best, the Ravens can't prevail in grinding physical slugfests against the Bengals because the Bengals are not only capable of being more physical, as proven, but the Bengals running game is better. Furthermore, the Ravens can't turn any game against the Bengals into a shootout because their pass catchers aren't as good as the Bengals outstanding CB corp. Best, even if they could turn a game into a shootout the Bengals s**tty passing attack is still better than the Ravens s**tty passing attack.

In short, the Bengals have repeatedly taken the best shots the Ravens can deliver and countered by being better at the Ravens own game. Specifically, the Bengals are the more physical team.

The Panthers are loaded with rookies. Cheap rookies. We should win this game, and win it big.

We'll see. Winning on the road in the NFL is never easy. Plus, I've probably got more respect for Claussen than most here because he practically grew up in my backyard. He's a local legend, right? And even if that doesn't hold true on Sunday I doubt Claussen will suck outright. (Not that I'd mind.)

Let's hope the Bengals aren't feeling the same letdown this week as BengalNation seems to be after last weeks critical must-win victory over a hated rival. Or, maybe it's all just a case of Carolina having one of the most boring rosters in the entire NFL.

If ever there was a team in NEED of clown shoes they might be it.

Sounds like Adam Jones is going to be out, which sucks!!! I guess Moragn Trent will take his spot.

I love what Adam Jones brings to the defense, but he sure seems to be injured alot so far. I really wanna see him healthy and playing, i think he helps this defense big time.

Main thing i hope is they double up Steve Smith all day, and run blitz alot. Even if they dont run maybe the blitzes will confuse Clausen. Hope Zim dials up a big game to stop the run.

We're 3 or 3.5 point favorites. If betting, I would certainly give those points.

Bengals are simpllfying the offense, this will allow it to be player vs player. We're not trying to outsmart anyone, I hope. Our players are better, better athletes, more experience.

Really 3 poins is far from enough. No Peppers, no Muhammed, I don't see the Panthers being able to hang with the Bengals. It just feels like a big win coming.

COB, I will divert from the thread for a moment to compliment you on your new sig. I would however, change the P.S. part to the following:

"I made my money in the 90's and I'm rich b*tch !!!"

Time to call the game. Bengals put a complete game together and dominate across the board:

BENGALS- 27

PANTHERS- 13

Release the Krakken. (Dunlap)

And let's see if Pat Sims will answer his wakeup call two weeks in a row.

Spin fatman, spin.

If Dunlap gets a chance this week i will be so happy. Dont know how he would do, but it will give him a chance to get better. I liked what Sims did last week, and because of the Panthers running game im sure Sims will be in.

This is the game where Carson Palmer should really open up the passing game.

He's been getting yards but he needs some touchdowns. If you have him on your fantasy team, you should start him.

I do have him and have been debating starting him, but I also have Brady and think he is likely to have a good week, also.