Bengals at Panthers Pre-game discussion thread

membengal

Yes, it's early, but...a new variable for the game already, as Adam Schefter has tweeted that John Fox says Matt Moore out and Jimmy Claussen in for the game this week.

Hope the Bengals pay attention, they've had issues against new/replacement quarterbacks in their history...

A new variable for the game already, as Adam Schefter has tweeted that John Fox says Matt Moore out and Jimmy Claussen in for the game this week.

Hope the Bengals pay attention, they've had issues against new/replacement quarterbacks in their history...

Yep in the past they made young rookie QB or first starters look like Joe Montana. I hope they plan for Claussen and then need to rattle him early, and dont let up.

If there was ever a week to have Cincy as your fantasy defense, this is it.

1. Apart from Steve Smith, Carolina has diddly for WR's

2. Stewart and Williams are good runners but not behind this line, and jamming 7/8 in the box.

3. Clausen stares down WR's and generally forces the ball too much.

Derek Anderson always came off the bench to ruin our day. And did last year for the most part up in Cleveland.

Point is, qbs making their debuts or back-ups making first starts have had way more success against Cincy, in my memory, than I am happy to recall right now.

i'm not scared by clausen at all. heck, let's double steve smith with leon hall and jjoe. he doesn't get a single ball, and then pacman, trent and ghee can handle the rest with ease.

also, jam the f**king box like no man's business. the key to winning this one lies in stopping the carolina run.

Am I the only one that is completely underwhelmed by the issue of whether Moore or Clausen is going to start? Does Clausen merit more QB pressure than an already obviously-shaken Moore? With this defense, I see no need to do anything other than possibly tweek the "shown" blitzes and movement at the line. It wasn't like Moore was going to be a solid veteran presence back there anyway. The real key is whether they can get pressure with 4 on that very shaky offensive line of Carolina. I hope they rotate liberally and that Fanene is back this week.

Figuratively speaking, the thought of putting additional pressure (maybe more blitz packages) and forcing the rookie to beat you with his arm is probably the smart thing to do. Not to say you wouldn't want to do the same to Moore, but Moore does in fact have more experience and should be able to react quicker to what he's seeing on the field. Either way, it should be a win for the Bengals.

Easily explained over the long term by how historically bad Bengals defenses have always been. Perhaps less easily explained over the short term against a seemingly very recently good Bengals defense. But the first thing that comes to mind is how this teams defense is said to be amongst the most basic in the NFL, a fact Zimmer admits to readily and often. And opposing coaches often mention it with praise prior to the game. I believe Raider head coach Tom Cable, who did in fact win with a so-called replacement QB, was the most recent.

Second, I'm guessing when facing any QB, inexperienced or savvy veteran, the Bengals historically prefer coverage schemes, not pressure. And without pressure any QB who doesn't turn the ball over will not only gain confidence as the game progresses, but beat you outright...especially if the Bengals oblige by making the last critical mistake, as they did against Tampa Bay, Oakland, etc.

if the Tampa Bay Bucs can go to Carolina and dominate the Panthers...we shouldn't have a problem with them either imo

Yeah, 2-0 teams like Tampa Bay are just so much weaker than we are at 1-1

How could I not have seen that?

Thanks Superbrain!

Give it a rest TJ, good grief.

You have a poster saying how it will be so easy to beat Carolina since Tampa Bay was able to beat them, and you're OK with someone dismissing a 2-0 team when we are just 1-1 ourselves?

I don't agree with him either, but nothing he said warrants the aggressive sarcasm you offered. It's nothing personal, of course, you seem a good enough sort. I just hope you won't be adding another member to your hit-list, each of whom can't get a word in edgewise without your interference.

(continue interfering with JoePong)

I'd like to limit my list to one (Hair stays faithful to Hoosier for the most part, for example) but we unfortunately this website has more than it's share of nigh-braindead posters who are convinced that up is down, left is right, Pumpkin is a hottie, and so forth.

It's really hard to pick just one of this decrepit lot. That said, JoeWrong is indeed a strong candidate.

I think most eveyone here has there moments when an opinion irritates another. 99% of the time, I'm not real concerned and find it best to handle that crap through PM's. Good conversation with some sarcasm is one thing. Being a dick for general purposes is another thing altogether and I think most stay away from that.

That being said, I think we FAR AND AWAY a better team at 1-1 than the 2-0 Bucs.

Does that mean we will win that game ?? No, but we should...

but we unfortunately this website has more than it's share of nigh-braindead posters who are convinced that up is down, left is right, Pumpkin is a hottie, and so forth.

Thing is, no matter how hard you try you can't rid the world of stupid. Nor can you fix it. And if you end up arguing with it, eventually it's kind of hard to tell who's who. Besides, it's much more fun to simply laugh at stupid.

Anyway, Pumpkin is a hottie, and Hair has the pictures under his mattress to prove it.