4192-25th Anniversary

jjakq27

The Reds will be honoring Pete Rose tonite on the 25th Anniversary of breaking Ty Cobb's all-time hit record of 4191.

Just wondering where everyone was or what memories people have about the event.

I remember that he got 4191 in Chicago on the Sunday afternoon before the homestand. Since he was the manager he could have taken himself out to save the next hit for Cincinnati but I think he batted once or twice in that game. He didn't get the hit in the first game at Riverfront but I think he got it in the next one.

Personally I was out with a friend and we heard on the radio that Pete would be up soon. We raced home to watch it on cable (since I didn't have it at the time) and got to see it. It was a very special moment for me. Pete was a larger-than-life figure since he was raised on the west side of town where I grew up also. It's one hell of an accomplishment if you stop and think about it. 200 hits for 20 years and you are still 256 hits short of tying the record.

Incidentally the closest active player is Derek Jeter at 2899. He is No. 36 on the all-time list.

Enquirer article

/>http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100910/SPT04/9110358/1062/SPT/Reds-celebrate-Rose-s-4-192nd-hit

Best part of that article...

Experts agree that Rose's hit record has been elevated to an even higher place in the pantheon because it is untainted by steroid use.

The Hit King deserves to be in the Hall of Fame! pete-rose.jpg I was blessed growing up in the '70's and watching Pete and the Big Red Machine under the leadership of Sparky Anderson. Those were glorious days!

I heard that Pete will not be allowed to address the crowd live even though he is there in person. Guess they want to censor any comments. His remarks will be taped and played over the big screen.

Kinda BS but I guess that was their (Bud's) contingency for allowing this tonite.

Bud dictated this? He's not worthy to carry Pete's jock, much less sniff it. <_<

Not sure who mandated this but I can only guess it was the commish.

For anyone here in town, Fox Sports Ohio will air the ceremony in its entirety tomorrow at 12:30pm prior to the Reds game. Hopefully some of this stuff will show up on YouTube or MLB or the Enquirer for those not nearby.

Update: They will also be showing the actual game (09/11/1985) tomorrow evening on Fox Sports Ohio. I'm not exactly sure of the time.

After the Reds game today, FOX Sports Ohio showed the game from Sept. 11, 1985 in its entirety. It was really neat to see the game and the at bat in its proper context. Pete makes a diving stop and flip to the pitcher covering the bag to end the game.

A few things jumped out at me as I watched it this afternoon.

First the TV technology was very minimal back then. Very few replays and no on-screen graphics at all. My son asked me where the score box was and I laughed.

Second, this was really the end of an era in many regards. Obviously Pete would be done as a player after the 1986 season. His full-time duties as manager would lead to his deepening involvement in gambling and eventual suspension.

This might have been the end of the pre-steroids era too. Within a couple of seasons, guys like McGuire and Canseco would grab the headlines with their prolific power along with questions about their legitimacy even back then. It took MLB nearly fifteen years to address this problem. Meanwhile Pete was banished because he damaged the integrity of the game.

Riverfront Stadium was one of a number of multi-use facilities throughout the league. At the time there were only a handful of grass fields in MLB. To my knowledge there are no longer any artificial fields in MLB other than Tropicana Stadium in St. Petersburg. And nearly every city now has a new baseball facility where Dodger Stadium is like the third oldest active baseball stadium after Wrigley and Fenway.

Lastly, starting pitching was evolving into a part-time job. Tom Browning was working on his 5th complete game shutout of the season when he was taken out in the top of the 9th. Ironically that philosophy was developed right here with Sparky Anderson.

It was a neat review but somewhat sad for a lot of reasons too.

Good post JJ !!!

thanks AB

Here's the article from last night's roast in Lawrenceburg. Sounds like Pete was choked up and apologized to his former teammates that were in attendance. Good for him. If anything he has some peace of mind.

http://news.cincinna...ng-on-baseball-

http://news.cincinna...SPT04/309110030