Big Ten splits up Michigan and Ohio State

These teams could see each other more often!

Big Ten splits up Michigan and Ohio State

By RALPH D. RUSSO, AP College Football Writer

Any Michigan man will tell you, there is nothing quite like beating Ohio State. Every Buckeye agrees, a win over that team from up North is priority No. 1. Well, now Michigan and Ohio State could get two chances in a season to beat their fiercest rival.

What would Woody and Bo have thought of that? A rematch!

The Big Ten announced its divisional breakdown for football Wednesday night, and Ohio State and Michigan will be in different six-team divisions when the league expands to 12 members in 2011. Neither division has been named, but they break down like this: Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan State, Minnesota and Northwestern in one; Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Illinois, Purdue and Indiana in the other.

Commissioner Jim Delany said creating football divisions with competitive balance was the top priority and No. 2 was maintaining a cross-division rivalry game for each team.

Read more at the link above.

Stupid. I mean they are in different divisions, yet they MUST play each other every single year, and it will always be the last game. So if they both win their divisions, they would meet the following week in the Conference Championship game making the previous week's game meaningless. Might as well keep them in the same division if their just going to play each other every year anyways.

This is getting ridiculous.

I'd have put them together, but oh well. I have to hope that with them split, the game won't be the last week of the season every year anymore.

Exactly I think it will be like Miami and FSU in the ACC when they used to play them early in the year so that they could potentially make it to the Champ game.