O-Line

volcom69

Does the o-line depth scare anyone? I read today that Whitworth did something to his hand or thumb, and had some kind of brace on his hand. It said he should be back before the regular season, but got me thinking man if Whit goes down who goes in. Then there is RT Andre still getting himself ready, Roland well he should be the back up. So i think they need to go out and get some depth for this team or some vet help.

Not to mention why the heck is Livings still starting this team looked much better with Mathis in there last year, when they did the o-line musical chairs. I dont know now that i seen Whit was down it got me kind of worried, and with the preseason game coming up, yikes the o-line could be hurtin.

funny, army, the OT depth has me terrified until Smith can last longer than one series without looking like he needs to die and Collins' foot is ruled okay.

Mathis is hurt (groin I believe) and has been all off season, hopefully he gets things sorted out before Week 1.

Mathis and Roland played on the left side most of the second half against the Eagles.

Thinking of the depth issue on the line now that some guys have minor injuries, it f-ing makes me even more p1ssed that Smith is so woefully underprepared.

Maybe they bring Luigs back?

I don't think Luigs would solve anything as he as released after having hip surgery.

I also agree the OT depth is weak and forgot about Collins being dinged up, but in regards to the interior, I don't much like the starters let alone the depth. It was one of the reasons I was looking interior of the o-line earlier in the draft. I'm not about to complain about what we got in the draft mind you however, if the 2010 team fails and we had to predict a reason why at this point in time, I would bet on the o-line being the reason.

Here's to hoping they continue developing and continue to do well !!!

Sounds like Whit might be out this next game, and Collins is out. Cook also didnt practice with a nagging injury, man the o-line is taken a beaten right now. If Palmer plays the next game i dont even know who is o-line will be lol. All i know is they need to put Mathis in the starting, line-up again to see if that will help out. So right now this o-line has me alittle worried untill everyone is ok.

I would allow Palmer only 1 series under these conditions.

I would also sign another arm and let them play significant time in the second half.

I know this brings us back to discussing the back-up QB situation but it all hinges on the line anyways.

I think we have seen enough of JTOS. Apart from playing badly, his attitude and body language is just awful as shown on TV.

Another arm ?? Maybe, but I would rather let Carson run a couple of series (at most) and then let Jordan come in when some of the 1st team and 2nd team are still in there for the rest of the first half. Throw bad attitude O'Sullivan out there for the whole 2nd half with the 3rd team and fodder. If he gets killed or sucks, who cares ??

Per Josh, the Bengals have signed OL Chris Rogers.

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/2010/8/23/1637331/meet-the-newest-bengals-offensive

Rogers was one of the 25 UDFAs they brought in for tryouts back in April.

A little background: http://www.ohiobobcats.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/rodgers_chris00.html

2008: Played in nine games, starting five...Missed three games due to injury...Started five games...Played 310 snaps and graded out at 85 percent...Posted a technique grade of 64 percent and had 11 pancakes and two decleaters...Was not penalized and did not allow a sack.

2007: Started one game at left tackle ... played for 110 snaps ... Had three pancake blocks ... Did not give up a sack or incur a penalty the entire season.

Clearly if he wants to make the squad he needs to get much, much worse in the penalty department... :lol:

Go Bobcats!

\bite

Anthony Collins/Dennis Roland were adequate at right tackle. Cincinnati's strength is pass blocking. I almost stopped reading here because neither one of them should be starters in the NFL.

The combination of Evan Mathis and Nate Livings wasn't as solid in run blocking, but they were solid in pass blocking. and the Article loss almost all value here to me...Mathis was one of the highest rated guards last season and helped spring Cedric Loose plenty of times on his huge runs...Livings on the other hand was a better run blocker then a pass even though IMO :P he's pretty subpar at both "shrug"

The Bad: After spending the first part of the year as the biggest tight end in NFL history, Roland ended up winning the right tackle job, but it's hard to say that he was an upgrade on Collins. Roland struggled in pass coverage and wasn't a significant upgrade in run blocking either. Roland's biggest problem is the speed of his feet -- he was generally beaten by rushers just turning on the jets and beating him to the outside. Considering he's one of the tallest players in NFL history at 6-foot-10, there's no real option to move him inside to guard, so Roland will have to work on improving his agility.

I agree With this part and about how we don't need Bigdre to win but I still think he'll be a much better player then Roland by the end of the year...

\bite

Anthony Collins/Dennis Roland were adequate at right tackle. Cincinnati's strength is pass blocking. I almost stopped reading here because neither one of them should be starters in the NFL.

The combination of Evan Mathis and Nate Livings wasn't as solid in run blocking, but they were solid in pass blocking. and the Article loss almost all value here to me...Mathis was one of the highest rated guards last season and helped spring Cedric Loose plenty of times on his huge runs...Livings on the other hand was a better run blocker then a pass even though IMO :P he's pretty subpar at both "shrug"

The Bad: After spending the first part of the year as the biggest tight end in NFL history, Roland ended up winning the right tackle job, but it's hard to say that he was an upgrade on Collins. Roland struggled in pass coverage and wasn't a significant upgrade in run blocking either. Roland's biggest problem is the speed of his feet -- he was generally beaten by rushers just turning on the jets and beating him to the outside. Considering he's one of the tallest players in NFL history at 6-foot-10, there's no real option to move him inside to guard, so Roland will have to work on improving his agility.

I agree With this part and about how we don't need Bigdre to win but I still think he'll be a much better player then Roland by the end of the year...

I am still trying to figure out why they dont let Mathis play with the first stringers, i wanna see if he makes the line any better. I really liked him last year in there, but they kept rotating him and livings every other quarter. I dont know if Paul has a problem with Mathis but let him start one preaseason game to see if the line is any better. Livings is always making stupid penalties.

but they kept rotating him and livings every other quarter. I dont know if Paul has a problem with Mathis but let him start one preaseason game to see if the line is any better. Livings is always making stupid penalties.

Because he sees himself as a Genius with 3 undrafted player so n the Oline? I just really don't get it because we run better with Mathis,Mathis pass protects better so whats point of having livings start? to Ware down the defenses? Why? Livings is the most athletic of the Oline so should be gassing the least....Just hope we actually play the best players week 1.

Alexander seems to have a Hard on for ROland.... :puke::blowup2:

If Whitworth can’t go, the Bengals may have to think about moving starting right tackle Dennis Roland, a sobering prospect since at 6-9, 350 pounds, he doesn’t exactly have the quick athleticism usually associated with that spot. But maybe not as alarming as it was last year. Alexander continues to rave about Roland’s progress and he thinks the proof is how he worked at left tackle in the third quarter Friday night.

“He’s a lot better than last year and that showed it,” Alexander said. “Because last year he really struggled playing left tackle in the preseason. But this year he did a wonderful job. Something happened last year in September. The light bulb kind of turned on and all of a sudden he started doing everything just right and he’s gotten better from there.”

Roland is one of the feel-good stories from last year’s feel-good team. He was one of those guys tossed away who found a home. Five times, to be exact. Since signing as a free agent out of Georgia with the Cowboys in ’06, he had been cut five times until he made 12 starts last season and showed up more often than not as an extra tight end.

These days Alexander isn’t talking much about Andre Smith, the No. 1 pick from 2009 who just returned to the field last week after more than seven months of rehabbing a broken foot and grappling with conditioning issues.

But he’ll talk Roland all day long.

“Roland’s pretty good; he’s a joy,” Alexander said. “Every single thing you tell him, from the smallest detail, he can do. It’s unbelievable.”

Roland is a technician, a coach’s son, and he’s the way you would think he would be. Quiet. He says “yes sir” and “no sir,” even to reporters. Maybin’s first quick step may not be the greatest matchup for him, but he’d try to find an angle to make it tough.

It's a major problem that could affect the win totals in the early part of the season.

Full agreement.

I would feel a lot better if Smith starts and can block for more than one series Saturday night, that's for sure.

Alexander seems to have a Hard on for ROland.... :puke::blowup2:

If Whitworth can’t go, the Bengals may have to think about moving starting right tackle Dennis Roland, a sobering prospect since at 6-9, 350 pounds, he doesn’t exactly have the quick athleticism usually associated with that spot. But maybe not as alarming as it was last year. Alexander continues to rave about Roland’s progress and he thinks the proof is how he worked at left tackle in the third quarter Friday night.

“He’s a lot better than last year and that showed it,” Alexander said. “Because last year he really struggled playing left tackle in the preseason. But this year he did a wonderful job. Something happened last year in September. The light bulb kind of turned on and all of a sudden he started doing everything just right and he’s gotten better from there.”

Roland is one of the feel-good stories from last year’s feel-good team. He was one of those guys tossed away who found a home. Five times, to be exact. Since signing as a free agent out of Georgia with the Cowboys in ’06, he had been cut five times until he made 12 starts last season and showed up more often than not as an extra tight end.

These days Alexander isn’t talking much about Andre Smith, the No. 1 pick from 2009 who just returned to the field last week after more than seven months of rehabbing a broken foot and grappling with conditioning issues.

But he’ll talk Roland all day long.

“Roland’s pretty good; he’s a joy,” Alexander said. “Every single thing you tell him, from the smallest detail, he can do. It’s unbelievable.”

Roland is a technician, a coach’s son, and he’s the way you would think he would be. Quiet. He says “yes sir” and “no sir,” even to reporters. Maybin’s first quick step may not be the greatest matchup for him, but he’d try to find an angle to make it tough.

Yea how pathetic is that! Im not saying Roland is horrible, but he is better as a backup. Smith needs to get into shape to see if he is better then Roland and i sure hope he is. Roland might play LT this weekend, yikes that scary and i feel bad for Palmer lol.