Reds vs. Pirates

Stripes

No intent to steal your thread-starting thunder, AB. I was browsing the schedules in August for Cincinnati and St. Louis, and I was definitely concerned.

The Cardinals will face two winning teams the entire month -- The Reds and Giants.

St. Louis:

3 vs Astros

3 @ Marlins

3 @ Reds

3 vs Cubs

2 vs Brewers

3 vs Giants

3 @ Pirates

4 @ Nationals

3 @ Astros

Cincinnati:

3 @ Pirates

3 @ Cubs

3 vs Cardinals

3 vs Marlins

3 @ Diamondbacks

3 @ Dodgers

3 @ Giants

3 vs Cubs

3 vs Brewers

I think we have it quite a bit tougher. We face one extra winning team, and get LA and SF on the road. We'd better take care of business against the losing teams and win the series against St. Louis.

Making moves to add a vet to the bullpen:

Following Sunday afternoon's 2-1 victory over Atlanta, the Reds optioned right-hander Carlos Fisher to Triple-A Louisville.

On Monday, Cincinnati is expected to purchase the contract of veteran right-hander Russ Springer.

Springer, who owns a career mark of 36-45 with a 4.52 ERA in 738 appearances, made seven appearances for Triple-A Louisville, allowing just two hits in 6 1/3 innings. He walked two and struck out five.

"He adds experience," said Reds manager Dusty Baker. "He's been in pennant races, World Series. We're young [in the bullpen]. We need a stabilizer to go along with Arthur [Rhodes] and [Francisco] Cordero."

Springer has made 14 postseason appearances, including four in the World Series -- most recently with Houston in 2005. The Reds signed the 14-year veteran to a Minor League contract on July 15.

Fisher was 1-1 with a 6.89 ERA in 13 appearances.

Springer is expected to wear No. 50.

/>http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100801&content_id=12910474&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin&partnerId=rss_cin

Following Sunday afternoon's 2-1 victory over Atlanta, the Reds optioned right-hander Carlos Fisher to Triple-A Louisville.

On Monday, Cincinnati is expected to purchase the contract of veteran right-hander Russ Springer.

Springer, who owns a career mark of 36-45 with a 4.52 ERA in 738 appearances, made seven appearances for Triple-A Louisville, allowing just two hits in 6 1/3 innings. He walked two and struck out five.

"He adds experience," said Reds manager Dusty Baker. "He's been in pennant races, World Series. We're young [in the bullpen]. We need a stabilizer to go along with Arthur [Rhodes] and [Francisco] Cordero."

Springer has made 14 postseason appearances, including four in the World Series -- most recently with Houston in 2005. The Reds signed the 14-year veteran to a Minor League contract on July 15.

/>http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100801&content_id=12910474&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin&partnerId=rss_cin

Springers record and ERA doesn't inspire a lot of excitement within me. I just feel we could have done better than that.

Springers record and ERA doesn't inspire a lot of excitement within me. I just feel we could have done better than that.

With Ondrusek really turning it on and Masset coming back around, I'm not too worried about the bullpen (knock on wood), with Cordero being the one exception.

Cards lose, we're alone in first.

They LOST!?! They had the lead late against Houston. Their bullpen is really hurting them.

Cards gave up 3 runs in the 8th and 4 runs in the 9th.

Hmmm. That is definite bullpen problems. Excuse me if I can't find any tears to shed for them, :crybaby:

Have to love how this one turned out. Wood pitches his ass off again. We shutout the Pirates. The Cards lose to the freakin' Astros.

To top it off, we are back in first by a half game. Now the Cards have to keep pace. I'm sure this will go back and forth to the end, but it sure is fun.

Oh yeah, we still have Isringhausen and Chapman that Jocketty seems to think will help us out in the bullpen down the stretch.

To be honest, I would prefer they just leave Chapman alone until next season and bring him in as a starter.

GO REDS !!!

Yeah, taking 2 of 3 from the Braves should be a confidence booster for the team. It is for me as a fan !!!

We just don't want a letdown against the lowly Pirates.

Well, the Reds are getting their asspieces handed to them 6-0 in the 3rd.

Still some game to be played though. Can always be hopeful right ??

Once again, I love this season for the Reds and will ride it out all the way to the end with a smile on my face.

However, they could have a few games in between them and the Cards right now if they played better against the crappier teams.

My point is, I'm sick of saying "Well, at least the Cards lost" when we drop a game to the likes of the Pirates.

Still in first though, so it most certainly could be worse !!!

Cueto takes the mound to try to win another series tonight.

Yeah, Bruce is killing me...

GO REDS !!!