Hall of Fame Game-August 8

jjakq27

http://www.profootballhof.com/default.aspx

/>http://www.profootballhof.com/enshrinement/2010_hof_game.aspx

Anybody going to the induction ceremony or the game? I'll be interested to hear LeBeau's comments about his time spent here in Cincinnati. Hopefully it'll be an opportunity for people to learn that the roots of the Zone Blitz defense started here with guys like David Fulcher.

Any thoughts or comments about the amount of playing time or strategy for starters in this one. Marvin said in essence this game is replacing the mock game done in Georgetown.

I can't wait for the TO/Chad discussions ad-naseum by the game broadcasters. I assume the game will be on local TV and regular cable.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The game will be broadcast nationally and I can't wait for all that comes with it. I don't care what they talk about. I don't care who they talk to. I don't care what is said. All I care about is, not only do I get to watch the first football game of the 2010 season, my beloved Bengals are playing in it. I CAN'T WAIT !!!

First, let me say, as an "out of market" fan, having two of the five games on national TV is a pure joy. I am pretty pumped about getting the 5th game too, for a change, and the Bengals have a lot to look at. Off the top of my head, as the preseason unwinds, some things I will be curious about:

1. Back-up QB. After CP comes out after one series or so against Dallas, the game will get interesting. Does O'Sullivan look any more comfortable running the team than he did a year ago? Has Jordan Palmer closed any gap? I would really like to see those guys move the team throughout the preseason, justincase...

2. The WR scrum. Man, having a position that deep in talent will make the guys who get in for the 2nd-4th quarters work extra hard to show in games, I would suspect. I am looking forward to seeing Shipley, but he's made the team. What really intrigues me is Simpson v. Briscoe (and v. Cosby, depending on if they view his spot on the team as being technically a 6th receiver). And, not that I think Matt Jones or Mo Purify will make the team, but you know they will be working hard to impress scouts.

3. The 4th tackle, justincase...yaknow, Smith continues his Dinner With Andre theme. Can either of the undrafted FA tackles block? Or, if Smith eats his way to the PUP, will we be getting into the cut-late-in-camp market for a T if need be. I know I want Andre to be the guy, but will be watching on the other options should it come to that.

4. It sounds like Adam Jones is indeed staking a claim to 3rd CB. Will be curious how he looks in games, as well as the rookie Ghee. The real action should be between Trent and David Jones for 5th CB, if they keep 5 CBs. That will keep the pre-season game extra interesting.

5. How much will Rey play at middle LB in the pre-season? Should give us a clue as to how much we might see that to start the year.

Off the top of my head, those are the things that are going to be tasty.

This is as excited as I have been for the pre-season in a long time. Probably since Carson's comeback from the ACL dealie in 2006, but there the excitement was more focused. Here, it is genuine anticipation across a number of fronts.

I remember when I first heard we had 5 preseason games and at first I wasn't that happy about it. Now, with some of the roster battles to figure out, it will probably be a good thing. I would suspect a large dose of 2nd and 3rd stringers getting playing time due to what I see as battles will be for the last spot at some of those positions. I think the starters are pretty much set.

The backup QB spot is one that concerns me. JT had an absolutely great preseason last year, so it's hard to tell with the competition he could be facing. Either way around, I'm not a fan of either him or Palmer v2.0 if Carson goes down. I wonder if the Bengals might be scanning when other teams make cuts to their roster, at improving our QB situation.

That last WR and CB spot should be fun to watch and how great is it that the most hotly debated spots on the roster are for 5th and 6th spots ?? We will be cutting some decent players that I suspect will catch on with other teams.

Oh yeah, I want to see VAKAPUNA! handing out some vicious blocks up front for Benson...

(That was for you Hair)

A roster spot battle nobody seems to mention is Raymer vs Nugent. It's not a very thrilling battle, but could impact the won-loss record of this team more than any other battle in camp.

My best guess....Nugent will get a "STRANGLEHOLD" on the place kicking job

I think the kicking battle isn't very thrilling because people don't view either of those kickers as anything more than waiting until the 2011 draft when we can get Kai Forbath and not worry about either of these guys. In regards to this season though, I would put money on Nugent as well. They are both about even accuracy wise, but Nugent can still hit from further out and has done that in practice.

A roster spot battle nobody seems to mention is Raymer vs Nugent. It's not a very thrilling battle, but could impact the won-loss record of this team more than any other battle in camp.

My best guess....Nugent will get a "STRANGLEHOLD" on the place kicking job

I say...blame it on the Raynor because it says here your boy Nugent won't make the final roster.

waves knife/taunts

I think i really wanna see how Carson looks, how the timing is with the WR. We blamed Carson last year for alot of bad passes, and piss poor WR play. This game should tell us at least something that Carson is back to his old self, that the WR this year are ready to play and are better then last year. No excusses this year its time to get it done.

Defense im excited to see what this 3-4 thing is they are talking about if they run it or not. Im really excited to see MJ play i think he will be the rush guy this year and i hope for double digit sacks this year. I wanna see how Odom looks after that injury last year also.

I want to see how things turn out with Carson as well, but with new players and knowing guys like Gresham just got there, I still expect there to be a fair amount of rust for everyone when it comes to the passing game. Maybe in a couple weeks after this game will I really be looking to see how it has progressed.

They have ran 3-4 looks last year at times and I really don't think they are going to run much more than they did a year ago. I honestly think the focus of the defense is going to be getting to the QB and developing a pass rush. MJ will certainly be fun to watch this season.

2. The WR scrum. Man, having a position that deep in talent will make the guys who get in for the 2nd-4th quarters work extra hard to show in games, I would suspect. I am looking forward to seeing Shipley, but he's made the team. What really intrigues me is Simpson v. Briscoe (and v. Cosby, depending on if they view his spot on the team as being technically a 6th receiver). And, not that I think Matt Jones or Mo Purify will make the team, but you know they will be working hard to impress scouts.

Believe it or not, the first game or 2 could go a long way in determining which receivers get the final roster spot. They obviously won't make that decision until just before the season, but whoever steps up in the first game or 2 working with either J.T or Jordan, will get the chance to get EARLY playing time with Carson in the all important games 3 and 4. Whoever has a better preseason catching Carson's passes makes the team...... It's just a matter of getting in the game soon enough before Carson sits down.

I am SOOO looking forward to this game for two reasons. #1 is that I'll be able to watch it on national TV. #2 is that I work with a huge Plowboy fan and we have a wager on this matchup. C'mon Bengals, don't let me down! :bengal:

I am SOOO looking forward to this game for two reasons. #1 is that I'll be able to watch it on national TV. #2 is that I work with a huge Plowboy fan and we have a wager on this matchup. C'mon Bengals, don't let me down! :bengal:

You've got a wager on an exhibition game? You're putting your hard money on the likes of Jordan Palmer, Maurice Purify and Otis Hudson?

You've got a wager on an exhibition game? You're putting your hard money on the likes of Jordan Palmer, Maurice Purify and Otis Hudson?

It's only ten bucks.

Well, I don't think it comes as a surprise that both Big Dre' and Bryant won't be playing this coming weekend, but neither will VAKAPUNA!, as he has a hurt shoulder. I guess this will as good a time as any to see what TRONZO! brings to the table.

Marvin Lewis indicated here at his Thursday news conference that most of the players that won’t play Sunday against the Cowboys in the Hall of Fame Game have a good chance of coming back for the Aug. 15 Paul Brown Stadium opener against Denver.

It is believed that the Bengals are bringing along wide receiver Antonio Bryant (knee) and right tackle Andre Smith (foot) slowly enough that they may not see action until at least the third game on Aug. 20 at PBS against the Eagles as the T.O. Tour continues. Lewis declared both out for Sunday, as well as fullback Fui Vakapuna (shoulder).

Lewis said others are questionable and they’ll be evaluated as the Bengals practice Thursday and Friday at 3 p.m. at Georgetown College before jetting to the Hall of Fame Game on Saturday.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Thursday-update-Fui-out-for-Sunday/630d249d-217e-4454-9901-332d8d1c971b

First, let me say, as an "out of market" fan, having two of the five games on national TV is a pure joy. I am pretty pumped about getting the 5th game too, for a change, and the Bengals have a lot to look at. Off the top of my head, as the preseason unwinds, some things I will be curious about:

They probably won't play long enough to get a feel for it but, how well does the 1st team OL pass protect.

To me this is THE biggest factor in how well the "O" performs this year.

I think the o-line might need to play more series. Right now at least what im hearing from camp reports is that the pass blocking is really struggling so i dont know if its true or not. If Dallas brings any heat i guess we will find out how they hold up. Right now the o-line is the only thing really scaring me at the moment, with the new additions Carson will need some time. Hope they can hold up