Batman and Robin (Coles)

HairOnFire

Laveranues Coles Reportedly Will Re-Join Jets

7/29/2010 2:00 PM ET By Chris Burke

Veteran wide receiver Laveranues Coles could sign with the Jets as early as Friday, according to ESPNNewYork's Rich Cimini. Coles has two previous Jets stints on his resume -- 2000-02 after being drafted out of Florida State, then 2005-08 following two years with Washington.

Coles, 32, would provide the Jets, who will be without the suspended Santonio Holmes for their first four games, with some measure of insurance at wideout.

In Cincinnati last season, Coles' numbers dropped off dramatically. He caught just 43 passes for 514 yards, both of those numbers the lowest he'd posted since his rookie season. He has had prior success with the Jets, though, including a 91-catch year in 2006 and a 1,264-yard season in 2002.

Coles landed a four-year, $28 million deal from Cincinnati prior to last season, $10 million of which was guaranteed. The deal turned into a huge bust for the Bengals, who released Coles, then spent this offseason trying to find WR help for Chad Ochocinco -- they've apparently done so with Antonio Bryant, Terrell Owens and others.

ESPNNewYork reported that Coles is expected to work out for the Jets on Friday. If all goes according to plan, he could join the Jets for the start of training camp Sunday.

If they give him more than we gave TO I will laugh my ass off. Please let this happen.

Doubtful they offered T.O League minimum so i'm guessing thats what coles is getting.

And Coles should just smile and say thank you...

Guessing he is to even have a drop,truthfully thought he was done "shrug"

Jets Sign WR Coles for Third Tour of Duty

Laveranues Coles - Bengals 2009

43 receptions (3rd behind Chad & Andre Caldwell)

514 yds (second behind Chad) - avg 12.0 per catch, longest 40 yds

5 TDs

signed with Jets for one year at $855,000.

"It's an insurance policy for them," Coles told Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.

"Those first four games are very important for the team to get where they want to go.

It's an opportunity for me to come in and see what I can still do,

but there's a slim chance I'll be there after four games.

There's a good chance I'll get released; it depends on how things go.

They were honest and open about it. It is what it is."

5 TDs

"Those first four games are very important for the team to get where they want to go.

No doubt the guys a class act,.. But how do you lose ALL of your playing ability in the span of one season?... Weird...

5 TDs

No doubt the guys a class act,.. But how do you lose ALL of your playing ability in the span of one season?... Weird...

It's been gradual. He hasn't put up really good numbers since '06, His dropoff from '08 to '09 was fairly dramatic, but it's not like he had a 1,200 yard season the year before. He went from 850 yards to a little over 500 yards. And his 12 ypc is pretty standard for him since the '03 season.

He's 32 now... and hitting 30 is usually a time when production starts falling off. He was never really elite, so he went from decent to below average. I harbor no ill will against him. He was always professional and he carried himself well while in Cincy.

If he does earn a starting job for those first 4 games though, between him and Braylon Edwards should be good for 4 or 5 drops a game. That'll be tough for Jets fans to watch.