All things T.O.

agreen_112

And this from Coach Lewis today about T.O.:

"I don't want to speak (about Terrell). We've been down that road," Lewis said. "I don't have a concern that we need to add anybody (at receiver)."

That about sums it up...

Do you get the feeling that Marvin is sick of lame questions already? Can't wait until camp starts!

I only say that about sums it up based on the words used by Marvin. I tell you what, I'll put this FIRMLY in the camp of "I'll believe it when I see it" and when it happens, I will come back and say that I guess I was wrong. Until that point in time, I will say that if we sign T.O. it will rank as one of the dumbest moves this organization has made in some time, as I'm sure it will come at the cost of Caldwell, who will have a better than average year for the Bengals. If Bryant is hurt, that may change things a little, but I still don't see it that way.

Gizzle, not to be funny or try to piss you off, but if I was only able to choose one member from this forum that I think would frequent a "Chad Only" forum, you would be that member and there wouldn't even be a close second. :lol:

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have any big objection to signing Owens from a "T.O. perspective," meaning that if they think he can help them, by all means, do it. But like Lewis I don't see much point to adding another wideout to an already crowded field now. The Bengals made their call on the position earlier this year, signing Bryant and then drafting a bunch of young prospects. Were they to sign Owens, the only interpretation I could have is that there is a serious problem with those earlier steps, like Bryant's knee is shot or Shipley got caught with a truckload of weed or some similar disaster. I don't see them signing T.O. because Matt Jones is a flop or Jerome Simpson is a bust -- there are other options. In short, I don't see TO. in stripes.

I don't have any big objection to signing Owens

I do. From a football perspective, he's a short term fix, if he's even a fix anymore. And in the locker room let's face it, he's bad news. The scary thing about this is that Agreen has been right before when he's called shots based on people he's talked to. I can hardly believe even Mike Brown would think T.O. would fit here, but Mike has a way of making an amazingly off-kilter move about every 12 months or so.

I don't have any big objection to signing Owens

I do. From a football perspective, he's a short term fix, if he's even a fix anymore. And in the locker room let's face it, he's bad news.

Well, maybe he is, and maybe he isn't. Owens isn't the hotshot young receiver of old; he's a fading star looking for one last shot at glory. I just don't see him as a problem in the locker room as a short-term fix. My question is, do we need a short-term fix? I don't see that at this point -- unless something is seriously wrong in Bengals-wide-receiver-land. The team has signed one vet in Bryant and has a bunch of promising noobs. If they now think Bryant can't be that guy or their draft was all effed up, bring T.O. on. If not, there's just no point.

Owens isn't the hotshot young receiver of old; he's a fading star looking for one last shot at glory. I just don't see him as a problem in the locker room as a short-term fix. My question is, do we need a short-term fix? I don't see that at this point -- unless something is seriously wrong in Bengals-wide-receiver-land. The team has signed one vet in Bryant and has a bunch of promising noobs. If they now think Bryant can't be that guy or their draft was all effed up, bring T.O. on. If not, there's just no point.

That's quite true. And believe me, I've chugged more TO Haterade than most. But there does come a time, perhaps, when the price is low enough that you start getting greedy. And if it makes me start thinking "hmmm....", you can bet your ass Mikey is.

As for TO's skill - you never know what happens in an offseason to a player of his age, but he still had it last year. Whoever gets him this year will get him for a song thanks to the Buffalo debacle, but he *was* getting open, problem was BUF's QB situation. I believe Fitzpatrick was involved, if I recall. Buy low, sell high.

On attitude - he's always good in year 1. If we pulled him on, it would be a 1-year rental based on 2010 being our best chance year. Which might not be stupid considering they have some key players who will be FAs or old soon, like JJoe, Chad, Marvin, etc.

Regarding roster spot - that's certainly the hangup, and surely even Mikey knows that. So if our own resident investigative journalist's sources are correct, should we start wondering if there's another shoe afloat? Sort of brings up the Great Haynesworth Debate again.

He'd be the 3rd besst reciever on the team... Rather have matt jones and rome simpson

Yup would be interesting see how they would try get people on the field.... Wonder if they would put Byrant,TO & Chad in all at the same time or rotate them then leave Caldwell/Shipley in the slot...Or maybe like afew posters hope they trade Chad ^_^

He'd be the 3rd besst reciever on the team... Rather have matt jones and rome simpson

No way in hell. Don't get me wrong, I'm president of the TO Hater club. Dude's a narcissitic douchebag. But unless his skills fell off a cliff this past offseason - and Carson says they haven't - there's a pretty strong chance he'd be our best WR. He's always been a threat after the catch (unlike Chad). He's a more versatile receiver than Bryant, whose knee sounds like it's still screwed up anyway. And we would apparently get him for a good price, based on last year's disaster in Buffalo which wasn't his fault (for once).

The problem with TO is roster, as Hoosier and others have pointed out. That said, a credible case can be made that this is Our Year, and if that's the case you might have to make a tough choice to get over the top. If that means booting Jerome Simpson, who to date has shown precisely jack sh*t, I'm OK with that. And that's assuming we don't end up having to PUP Bryant anyway, which at least defers the decision long enough to see whether Simpson is worth crap. I'd go with Chad, TO, Bryant, Caldwell, Shipley, Cosby. Why not?

If Carson wants him, that's good enough for me. 1 year, $4M.

What'd I tell you guys in the insider info thread??? I don't wanna hear anything out of the ones that doubt me... I have no reason to make things up.

Bringing on TO is going to be a great move for this team! He's always been one of my favorite WR's. He hasn't had a QB as good as Palmer since Steve Young.

Don't mean to rub it in...... Yeah I do.

Clayton mentioned this morning that "TO works out with Palmer in California" and that it's very likely T.O. ends up in the AFC North with Cincinnati..... Just saying.

I don't knowwww, looks like they're close! If T.O. becomes a Bengal I will dance in the streets naked! It will be such an upgrade to what we have here now as WR's. 85 and 81 will tear it up this year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/23/to-to-bengals-report-dismissed/

T.O. to Bengals report dismissed

The burgeoning sports staff at TMZ came out with a report Friday night that Terrell Owens was "very close" to a deal with the Bengals.

A league source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that the report is untrue. Then again, there was misinformation circulated about Owens' signing with the Cowboys just before it actually happened.

The Bengals hosted Owens for a visit earlier this offseason, but signed Antonio Bryant instead. They've since drafted Jordan Shipley in the third round and coach Marvin Lewis recently called receiver Andre Caldwell the most improved player on the team.

We don't doubt the Bengals are just wacky enough to make the move anyway, but it's an awkward fit.

UPDATE: Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer also says sources on both sides say the report is "not true."

Well, whatever the case may be, I just wish they would just make the decision already. Once again, if everyone is healthy, the move makes absolutely no sense. I also think the only player currently on the roster that is a piece of this puzzle is Bryant. If his knee is worse than they are letting on, this move will happen. Matt Jones is completely beside the point here, as I still don't expect him to be a thought anyway.

I will admit to the morbid curiousity of seeing TO and Chad on the field at the same time and if it happens, I will pray everyday that it won't be the reason this team underachieves horribly this season.

Only if Bryant is hurt. Any other scenario still doesn't make sense.

Yeah. I admit I have concerns about Bryant's knee. They have already said they are going to let him rest a lot during training camp. That tells me he will likely have problems at some point in the year, if not the whole season.

I wouldn't object, as long as the price is right. After all this waiting, he shouldn't be terribly expensive. He's a supreme talent still perfectly capable of producing in any game who would definitely make the offense better. My only minor concern would be that it could stunt Shipley's growth since he'd see the field a bit less in all likelihood. I think the Bengals would be more inclined to play Chad, Owens, and Bryant together, rotating all three of them to the slot, than to put Shipley/Caldwell in alongside two of them.

I wouldn't object, as long as the price is right. After all this waiting, he shouldn't be terribly expensive. He's a supreme talent still perfectly capable of producing in any game who would definitely make the offense better. My only minor concern would be that it could stunt Shipley's growth since he'd see the field a bit less in all likelihood. I think the Bengals would be more inclined to play Chad, Owens, and Bryant together, rotating all three of them to the slot, than to put Shipley/Caldwell in alongside two of them.

Nah. Shipley is a slot WR. Chad, T.O. and Bryant all play best on the outside.

I would think that a rotation of Chad, T.O. and Bryant on the outside with a rotation of Caldwell and Shipley in the slot would look pretty nice... but that's 5 active WRs, and Cosby isn't one of them. So I think I'll pass (unless Bryant just isn't going to be healthy).