Daddy Gets Some Love!

HairOnFire

Bengals boss takes care of his own

July 14, 2010 @ 6:28 p.m. ET

By PFW staff

The following quotes are from NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

• "It's ironic, for how often Mike Brown is called cheap, how much he takes care of his people. I was out of the league for a year and not under contract, and Mr. Brown covered my family medically. He did not have to do it. He just did. When you look at integrating minorities into the NFL and letting them be stars, letting them be themselves, the Brown family was one of the first. How many other places do you think Chad (Ochocinco) could pull off the (shenanigans) he pulls off?"

wow you refer to another man as daddy? :o just kidding back to subject. most bengals fans know the mike takes care of his own. just because he has been a poor owner in the past. that doesn't mean mike is a terrible person. heck mike is probably even a likable guy. most fans bottom line is, win or your a piece of crap. that's just the way it is with sports.

I'm sure the Browns are nice people personally. But that doesn't mean they know how to run a a franchise. If ever had the money to own a professional sports team, I would try to find other smart people to run it because I know I would have no idea what I was doing. Also I would build a practice bubble. That at least seems like a no brainer.

This is the obligatory and aforementioned 'dancing on his grave' post.

Everyone - even Hair - is invited to the massive celebration in the streets everywhere in Cincinnati which will commence shortly after the news is announced.

No RSVP required

Theme will be 'Pumpkin' theme not because anyone is predicting October occurence, but rather: all hail the new Queen

This is the obligatory and aforementioned 'dancing on his grave' post.

Everyone - even Hair - is invited to the massive celebration in the streets everywhere in Cincinnati which will commence shortly after the news is announced.

No RSVP required

Theme will be 'Pumpkin' theme not because anyone is predicting October occurence, but rather: all hail the new Queen

To be perfectly honest, unless the whole family dies with him in some freak accident, things will probably get worse when Mikey dies. Katie is waiting in the wings, and that's a scary thought.

On that note, you have to give him a little bit of credit for the "success" of the last few years. For the most part, he's let Marvin do his thing and that has resulted in two division championships. You can't blame him for the losing and not give him credit for the winning. That's a double standard.

I have no issue with the anti-MB slant by any stretch, but as already stated, you can't bash away when things go wrong but not give credit when things go right.

That being said, Ms. Katie "You don't know how hard it is to run an NFL football team is" will be a far worse owner in my opinion.

The Bengals could win consecutive Super Bowls and people would still be living in the '90s. :rolleyes:

How 'bout we see when it happens. I might even settle for consecutive playoff runs, or maybe even a single measly playoff win.

Anyway, I rather doubt your thesis. Compare our situation to Red Sox fans, whose collected existence revolved around Bill Buckner (and Bucky Dent). Since winning the series in 2004, you don't hear a word about it. Similarly, I don't think Bengals fans, even the pessimistic ones, are that way because they enjoy pain. It's just going to take more than a couple of 1-and-out playoff experiences to put the 90s train wreck to bed.

I have no idea what kind of owner Katie will be.

I can compare Mike Brown to Art Modell. Art couldn't run the Browns in a profitable manner, and had to move the team to Baltimore for the stadium deal. He couldn't stop losing money even in Baltimore, and he had to sell out to a minority owner he'd sold an option to years before. Mike Brown seems like a genius compared to that. At least he kept the team in Cincinnati.

My hope is that Katie will benefit from years of watching and working with her dad, thus learning what works and what doesn't. Other than her star turn on hard knocks wherein she explained to Alvin Keels that 30 plus million dollars is a lot of money, and her ill-advised exchange with some bagheads wherein she speculated on their knowledge of the difficulty of running and NFL team, I just don't have anything to go on in forming an opinion about her ability to keep the family Lumina shined up (aka run the Bengals).

I'll simply say she hasn't put a good taste in my mouth to this point in time in regards to being an owner. Her comments are part of that.

If you went to your doctor because your eyes were hurting and they wanted to do a rectal exam, wouldn't that put some doubt in your mind ??

Before you answer that, the doctor is a dude...

Anyway, I rather doubt your thesis.

You do so with good reason, it was rather exaggerated.

I don't think Bengals fans, even the pessimistic ones, are that way because they enjoy pain.

I don't think they enjoy pain either. I think they've become stubbornly attached to a thought process that was easily defensible years ago and no longer makes any sense now.

Anyway, I rather doubt your thesis.

You do so with good reason, it was rather exaggerated.

I don't think Bengals fans, even the pessimistic ones, are that way because they enjoy pain.

I don't think they enjoy pain either. I think they've become stubbornly attached to a thought process that was easily defensible years ago and no longer makes any sense now.

Haven't you heard? Only cool people complain about everything. Being content with the reality that you are a fan (not a shareholder who could rightfully not accept mediocrity) and things haven't been that bad the last couple of years is decidedly uncool. Being crotchety, cranky, and unhappy on the whole is the only way to be one of the cools. Duh!

Haven't you heard? Only cool people complain about everything. Being content with the reality that you are a fan (not a shareholder who could rightfully not accept mediocrity) and things haven't been that bad the last couple of years is decidedly uncool. Being crotchety, cranky, and unhappy on the whole is the only way to be one of the cools. Duh!

Actually, I'd say mediocre sums up the last couple of years quite well. 2008 = 4-11-1, 2009 = 10-6. Looking further back, I believe they're about a game above 500 under the Marvin regime, with two playoff appearances in 7 years and no postseason victories.

Sad thing is, mediocrity looks like blazing success to us Bengals fans. I've never been Captain Pessimist, but it's not like it's irrational to not wear the rose colored glasses, even now during their gloriest of days in decades.

That said, as always, fall springs eternal. I'll put 'em down for 10 wins, assuming no suspension for Ced.

Actually, I'd say mediocre sums up the last couple of years quite well. 2008 = 4-11-1, 2009 = 10-6. Looking further back, I believe they're about a game above 500 under the Marvin regime, with two playoff appearances in 7 years and no postseason victories.

Sad thing is, mediocrity looks like blazing success to us Bengals fans. I've never been Captain Pessimist, but it's not like it's irrational to not wear the rose colored glasses, even now during their gloriest of days in decades.

That said, as always, fall springs eternal. I'll put 'em down for 10 wins, assuming no suspension for Ced.

Mediocrity is relative. Relative to the situation of our personel and situation and the opposing teams personel and situation. If the only thing that satisfies you is winning the Superbowl, then good luck enjoying football. Playoff appearances don't mean crap if that's really your ceiling. Every year 31 teams are mediocre to some degree by that standard.

The mentality that somehow we as fans can't be complacent with last years performance is to me rediculous. We're not stock holders (above and beyond our season tickets), we're fans. Last year was fun to watch, period. The ending sucked, but would it really have been so much better to say we didn't win but we got real close? We proved we are no longer who we were, a team with no chance. As a life long fan of 32 years, that's not mediocre to me.

Mediocrity is relative. Relative to the situation of our personel and situation and the opposing teams personel and situation. If the only thing that satisfies you is winning the Superbowl, then good luck enjoying football. Playoff appearances don't mean crap if that's really your ceiling. Every year 31 teams are mediocre to some degree by that standard.

Read again. They're under 500 the last two seasons, and a game over during Marvin's tenure. That's a pretty decent approximation of 'mediocre' by any standard. My contention is simple - while the last few years seem fantastic to us, it's a roughly average expectation of success during that time, if not less. I'm not saying average is bad, but let's not make it out to be more than it is.

The mentality that somehow we as fans can't be complacent with last years performance is to me rediculous. We're not stock holders (above and beyond our season tickets), we're fans. Last year was fun to watch, period. The ending sucked, but would it really have been so much better to say we didn't win but we got real close? We proved we are no longer who we were, a team with no chance. As a life long fan of 32 years, that's not mediocre to me.

Well, as long as all the kids had fun playing that's what matters. Maybe they'll get a ribbon for trying and Mikey will take them to Chuck E Cheese after the game. Just keep Andre away from the buffet.

Hey, don't get me wrong, last year was, well, the best we've had for a while. But that's kind of the point, right? We're the only group of people (aside from Clipper fans, maybe) who would be thrilled with two one-and-done's in 7 years.

Are you jealous of other fans? Is that it?

Um...yes? I like winning. I don't like losing.

The point here to think about is what good does it do you to think so crtically about something you supposedly love if you have no hope of ever changing it?

Because critical thinking is a skill I possess. Because talking about your team (recall this is a message board, right?) sometimes involves criticism and sometimes positivism. Otherwise, here would be the content of every thread: "I luv the Bengals!" "No, I love them more!" Kind of pointless, right? I call it like I see it, good and bad. Bear in mind I've already predicted a finish of 10+ wins for this year, so I'm not a blind pessimist. Remember what you're arguing about - I called the team mediocre the last couple of years, and you disagreed. I'll stand by my original assertion.

This all or nothing mentality that only smart people are never happy with anything is symptomatic of more than just how closely you pay attention to the stats and our prefromance relative to other teams. I feel sorry for people that can't just enjoy the ride wherever it takes us.

You don't have to be Einstein to notice that the Bengals have only been average lately, so don't use armchair psychology as a crutch.

Stats and records are relative and without context they can paint whatever picture you want. Is it the pinter or the paintbrush that determines the picture?

Spare me the armchair philosophy, too. There's a pretty natural reference for records - do you win more than you lose, or not? No further context needed. For the Bengals, lately, they've won as much as they've lost, roughly. About average. So they're an average team looking back, which was my original assertion. If you care to contest that notion, feel free. If your point is that I should learn to enjoy sucking, no thanks.

Fortunately, as I mentioned above, I think they have a great chance for a season well above average this year.

Are you jealous of other fans? Is that it?

Um...yes? I like winning. I don't like losing.

The point here to think about is what good does it do you to think so crtically about something you supposedly love if you have no hope of ever changing it?

Because critical thinking is a skill I possess. Because talking about your team (recall this is a message board, right?) sometimes involves criticism and sometimes positivism. Otherwise, here would be the content of every thread: "I luv the Bengals!" "No, I love them more!" Kind of pointless, right? I call it like I see it, good and bad. Bear in mind I've already predicted a finish of 10+ wins for this year, so I'm not a blind pessimist. Remember what you're arguing about - I called the team mediocre the last couple of years, and you disagreed. I'll stand by my original assertion.

This all or nothing mentality that only smart people are never happy with anything is symptomatic of more than just how closely you pay attention to the stats and our prefromance relative to other teams. I feel sorry for people that can't just enjoy the ride wherever it takes us.

You don't have to be Einstein to notice that the Bengals have only been average lately, so don't use armchair psychology as a crutch.

Stats and records are relative and without context they can paint whatever picture you want. Is it the pinter or the paintbrush that determines the picture?

Spare me the armchair philosophy, too. There's a pretty natural reference for records - do you win more than you lose, or not? No further context needed. For the Bengals, lately, they've won as much as they've lost, roughly. About average. So they're an average team looking back, which was my original assertion. If you care to contest that notion, feel free. If your point is that I should learn to enjoy sucking, no thanks.

Fortunately, as I mentioned above, I think they have a great chance for a season well above average this year.

Again, are YOU actually losing? How many snaps did you or anyone else on this board play last year? ????

Answer me this, at what point will you be happy? Do we have to go 10-6 for the next ten years so your stats will make you feel good enough to not bitch about them? Or would that only be a start because there was a time that they used to suck and eveyone needs to remember that? We have one of the best seasons we've had in forever and all you can do is point to the year before and say well they weren't good then and they average out to average blah blah blah. You're arguing with another Bengals fan about how bad your supposed favorite team sucks/sucked! The only thing I can see that you are a fan of is being unhappy.

As for this upcomming year, I'm as excited this year as I have been for the last 25 or so. Orange colored glasses and homerism are what mkaes it fun. I think Einstein would agree with me on that.