Heat Sign Wade,Bosh and now Lebron?

Kazkal

I don't see Miami winning it this year. They still have too many spots to fill on the roster, and no money left. Their bench will obviously be weak, so the starters will probably log around 40+ minutes a game. They need another year to fill in some still missing pieces, and the best, and even mediocre in this free-agent class have already agreed/signed, so maybe they pick up some decent depth next year.

So far the Heat roster look like this

PG Mario Chalmers

SG Dwayne Wade

SF LeBron James

PF Chris Bosh

C Udonis Haslem

I believe the only 5 that are under contract right now. Mike Miller apparently agreed to terms, but has yet to sign. Then, their looking to add 4 Rookies: F Da'Sean Butler, G/F Yakhouba Diawara, C Dexter Pittman, F Jarvis Varnado.

That would still only make 10 players (if Miller signs) and by NBA rules you need to have 13 players under contract. Their money is all spent, and they need to sign the rookie 2nd rd picks and still 3 more to fill their roster.

Lakers are still the team to beat, and actually got a little stronger with the signing of PG Steve Blake. I personally think he is a perfect fit for this team, and should be the starter over Derek Fisher. Blake is a much better passer and 3 point shooter than Fisher, and he actually brings the ball up the court (which Fisher rarely does anymore). But Fisher is a quality back-up.

So, Lakers again this year (3 peat) Phil Jackson will retire, and then maybe Miami gets 2 or 3 rings...max.

I'm more than hesitant to consider the Heat immediate title contenders as well. As you guys have covered, they'll struggle to build any remotely respectable depth. Also, the three mega-talents they've brought together don't look like they'll be able to compete in such diverse areas of the court as the Boston big three have. They lack a consistent perimeter shooter, and none of those three are terribly impressive in off-ball defense.

They ought to win often and make the playoffs as a top four or so seed in the East, but I'll be surprised if they tear the league apart early or often.

still think the lakers and boston are the teams to beat. right now the heat have no bench what so ever. that will kill them come playoff time. then can the heat keep the ego's in check? only time will tell. the heat pissed a lot of people off with this so called super team. the heat are going to be a marked team. there going to get every one's best shot on a nightly basis. then if the heat fail and get knocked out of the playoff's by a lesser team. watch out this could get very ugly.

I agree that it's all about getting depth and production off the bench for the Heat. I remember when the Celtics and Magic were heading into their playoff series this past season and telling my buddy (a Magic fan) that the Magic wouldn't be able to beat the Celtics because the Magic simply had nothing after their starters. Then when it was said and done, the Magic failed miserably.

Although I think the Heat will in the playoffs the end of the season, they need to continue working that bench.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't see Miami winning it this year. They still have too many spots to fill on the roster, and no money left. Their bench will obviously be weak, so the starters will probably log around 40+ minutes a game. They need another year to fill in some still missing pieces, and the best, and even mediocre in this free-agent class have already agreed/signed, so maybe they pick up some decent depth next year.

So far the Heat roster look like this

PG Mario Chalmers

SG Dwayne Wade

SF LeBron James

PF Chris Bosh

C Udonis Haslem

I believe the only 5 that are under contract right now. Mike Miller apparently agreed to terms, but has yet to sign. Then, their looking to add 4 Rookies: F Da'Sean Butler, G/F Yakhouba Diawara, C Dexter Pittman, F Jarvis Varnado.

That would still only make 10 players (if Miller signs) and by NBA rules you need to have 13 players under contract. Their money is all spent, and they need to sign the rookie 2nd rd picks and still 3 more to fill their roster.

Lakers are still the team to beat, and actually got a little stronger with the signing of PG Steve Blake. I personally think he is a perfect fit for this team, and should be the starter over Derek Fisher. Blake is a much better passer and 3 point shooter than Fisher, and he actually brings the ball up the court (which Fisher rarely does anymore). But Fisher is a quality back-up.

So, Lakers again this year (3 peat) Phil Jackson will retire, and then maybe Miami gets 2 or 3 rings...max.

I think Jarvis Varnado is going to really surprise some people this year. If not this upcoming season, then in the next couple of season. He gave Kentucky more fits than any other player in the SEC.

Also, I think Orlando will win the East next season.