New Angle - What is the Bengals weakness?

walzav29

I think Bengal fans tend to view the pass rush with a "don't tell me, show me" attitude. And that's not entirely unfair... because year after year there appear to be new additions to the D-Line that might improve the pass rush - and rarely does the improvement materialize.

IMHO nothing changed before because the parade of new faces never featured pass rushers with skill sets noticebly better, or for that matter any different, than the mush rushing power first type they were replacing. Zimmer promptly broke the mold by selecting Michael Johnson, and a year later may have redefined it with Carlos Dunlap.

That said... I'd like to point out that in 2008 (Zimmer's first year here) the Bengals were 2nd to last in sacks with 17.

Last year, the Bengals doubled that number with 34, which was good for 16th in the NFL. Even without Odom's 8 sacks... it's still a notable improvement.

Yeah, but with Odom's sack total you begin to appreciate the shift away from a pass rush that relied too heavily on pressure applied by blitzing linebackers or from the secondary. Things start upfront now.

I'd like to point out that in 2008 (Zimmer's first year here) the Bengals were 2nd to last in sacks with 17.

Last year, the Bengals doubled that number with 34, which was good for 16th in the NFL. Even without Odom's 8 sacks... it's still a notable improvement.

Yeah, but with Odom's sack total you begin to appreciate the shift away from a pass rush that relied too heavily on pressure applied by blitzing linebackers or from the secondary. Things start upfront now.

I agree with that... but one of the things I like about Zimmer and this roster is that it's not an either/or thing.

Zimmer talks about this when he says they are experimenting with players and seeing how to use them best. He's got a very deep and versatile D-Line now with Odom, Fanane, and Dunlap all with the ability to kick it inside in the 4-3. He talks about Peko being a great NT in the 3-4... and he's got a bunch of guys that would be good 3-4 DEs. MJ can be a great pass rusher as a DE in the 4-3... but might be downright devastating as an OLB in both the 3-4 and the 4-3. Maualuga and Brandon Johnson both have shown great ability to bring pressure, not to mention Crocker and Roy on safety blitzes.

The point is, this line has good depth and talent so that the pass rush begins up front... but there's also a wealth of talent able to rush the passer from anywhere on the field, in the 4-3, the 3-4... hell, even the 46. If Odom comes back healthy and if MJ, Dunlap, and Atkins are able to meet expectations and bring pressure from up front... this defense might be downright scary.

Wait... this thread is supposed to be about weaknesses. Sorry.