John Clayton has a nice wrap up on Mini Camp

AGrizzlyBaer

We've all been told how Agreen/Gizzle is this superstar semi-pro player, and how he already knows (or knows someone who knows) half the team, so how about we sign Agreen/Gizzle as our new WR?

I'd pay good money to watch him return a kickoff.

Well OK, mainly the __termination__ of said return is what I'd be paying the money to see.

Commadors baby... we're in the playoffs! And I got the inside on two players. Windt, a local UC grad with a very small willy. And Benson, a good friend of mines ex-BF. I do have some dirt on a few players that you wouldn't believe if I told you, so I don't even mention half the stuff.. My friend, a former stripper and Benson's ex, is 19 yrs old. Everything I mention is true story.

Giz.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hobson passed word today of something I hadn't heard, that Bryant apparently reaggravated his knee during camp and was looking like Coles (specifically, like an "anchor") at the end of the sessions. Hobs says they think he'll be OK with more rehab, but that isn't what I wanted to hear.

Hobson passed word today of something I hadn't heard, that Bryant apparently reaggravated his knee during camp and was looking like Coles (specifically, like an "anchor") at the end of the sessions. Hobs says they think he'll be OK with more rehab, but that isn't what I wanted to hear.

Yeah, he missed the last couple practices I think.

Its one of those injuries slipped in there as an 'also mention'. Say itll be ready for training camp. But its the same knee he has had problems with. Makes me nervous. These are the things that will rear its ugly head at a bad time and cost someone 4-6 games and not be at 100% for awhile.

Just dont push it too fast. Need Bryant in there. Hope it doesnt linger.

Big C holmes also thought we were gonna use matt jones as a TE... He's a ratard

So that's your argument? "He's been wrong before, so he's wrong now."

Hmm... He brought actual facts to the table. He witnessed with his own eyes and then reported that Matt Jones was slow off of the line, was easily controlled by smaller CBs, was imprecise in his route running, caught balls with his body instead of his hands, and was not as aggressive in traffic as you'd expect a target his size to be.

Your counter-argument? "He's a ratard." Nice.

Ok... Let's say that his opinion isn't worth much by itself (a point I don't actually concede for the record). You still have to deal with the fact that he's not alone. John Clayton, Joe Reedy, and Chick Ludwig all reported similar testimonies and don't expect Matt Jones to make the team.

Hell, even Hobson couldn't muster up anything positive to say about Jones' minicamp performance:

After running by people the first couple of weeks, Matt Jones hasn’t been as visible and they worry about his quickness in getting available in time for blitz reads.

It seems like anyone who was privileged enough to actually witness the Bengals minicamp agrees. The only people talking him up are the fans who daydream and fantasize about the mismatches potentially created by a 6'6" WR... but unfortunately fantasy is the only location that these "mismatches" ever seem to materialize.

Hell, even Hobson couldn't muster up anything positive to say about Jones' minicamp performance:

After running by people the first couple of weeks, Matt Jones hasn’t been as visible and they worry about his quickness in getting available in time for blitz reads.

It seems like anyone who was privileged enough to actually witness the Bengals minicamp agrees. The only people talking him up are the fans who daydream and fantasize about the mismatches potentially created by a 6'6" WR... but unfortunately fantasy is the only location that these "mismatches" ever seem to materialize.

So accepting the above as true...what gives? Normally I'd think that he let himself go and showed up to camp out of shape and/or coked to his eyeballs, but by Hobson's account at least he was looking good early. So why isn't he beating CBs now? Possibly an injury we don't know about?

I was ready to write him off until I heard that Bryant's knee's acting up. Don't want to go all Chicken Little, but knee injuries this early have a way of not playing out well. And you're also right about the tease that is Matt Jones - it would be a damned shame if the idiot can't find a way to use that 6'6" target in a useful manner. And I don't think it's just fans 'talking him up' - Mikey actually gave the guy money.

So, anyway, assuming we accept the aforementioned accounts as accurate, do we have a bearing on "why"?

Your counter-argument? "He's a ratard." Nice.

I know spelling doesn't count on a bb, but this one has a nice irony to it, don't you think?

You obviously have never seen the hangover,.. And as for the facts he brought to the table... Ok,.. Jones is slow to start,.. And he struggles against our very strong corners... But... He's been slow off the line his whole career but he still produces. Production is what this team needs. I think he will produce more than quan... And we have other returners... So thats why i think he makes the team. It all depends on how well pacman does returning the ball... I dont think it comes down to him and simpson... The way jerome looks lately he will make this team and we really do have a chad clone...

I think he will produce more than quan... And we have other returners...

well, I'm sold

I mean, all I need to hear to throw a pro-bowl level return man off the team is to hear "we have other returners". Truly, the perfect argument.

Queue the photo of Peko returning a fumble (or int? not sure which) for a td while in college. Maybe he can be one of our returners too.

well, I'm sold

I mean, all I need to hear to throw a pro-bowl level return man off the team is to hear "we have other returners". Truly, the perfect argument.

Queue the photo of Peko returning a fumble (or int? not sure which) for a td while in college. Maybe he can be one of our returners too.

Lol,.. You and your return mancrush on quan freakin cosby... So he's a great punt returner,... Big whoop

They are a dime a dozen and it just so happens we have 3 more... Who IMO can do just as well if not better! I honestly have no problem with cosby. but the way all of you would rather have him than matt jones who would do more for the team in redzone alone and pacman or shipley and.. dare i say tom nelson... getting 6 to 8 yards per return than quan could getting 12...

well, I'm sold

Lol,.. You and your return mancrush on quan freakin cosby... So he's a great punt returner,... Big whoop

They are a dime a dozen and it just so happens we have 3 more... Who IMO can do just as well if not better! I honestly have no problem with cosby. but the way all of you would rather have him than matt jones who would do more for the team in redzone alone and pacman or shipley and.. dare i say tom nelson... getting 6 to 8 yards per return than quan could getting 12...

I'm going to ignore the idiocy that says great punt returners are a dime a dozen, as I'm sure TJ will be happy to jump all over that.

In response to your opinion about preferring Jones over Cosby... I wouldn't think the role of the 6th WR would really need explaining, but I guess I'll do it anyway:

Punt returner or not, the 6th WR simply must be a special teams guy. As a 6th WR on the depth chart, you have very little chance of getting on the field... so being listed as a "WR" is of secondary importance. His primary role is to play STs. He's only a WR in case of emergency.

Case in point... Last year, Jerome Simpson was 5th on the depth chart, but was only active for 2 games the entire season. Cosby was 6th on the depth chart, but played and contributed in every game. It just wasn't as a WR. And when injuries occurred, the Bengals signed Maurice Purify from the PS rather than activate Simpson on Sundays... because Purify can contribute on STs.

If the 5th WR never got an opportunity to catch a pass... how much more worthless would a 6th WR be if he can't play STs?

If Simpson beats Matt Jones for the 5th WR spot, Jones will be cut. Jones isn't in the competition for the 6th WR spot, because that spot is reserved for a STer. So, to answer your question... Yes. As a 6th WR, I'd much rather have Quan Cosby over Matt Jones, because Cosby will actually contribute.

So he's a great punt returner,... Big whoop

Yeah, who needs pro-bowl level performers, I mean, why would any team want pro-bowl level performers?

it just so happens we have 3 more... Who IMO can do just as well if not better!

Wow, we 4 more guys who have performed special teams duties at a pro-bowl level in the NFL?

Awesome!

Uhm, who are they again?

Also, I assume your 'opinion' (ie 'IMO') is based on NFL performance rather than college performance, as we all know college performance does not always translate directly to the NFL. Please verify.

the way all of you would rather have him than matt jones

Hmm. Young Pro Bowl performer at half the salary versus coked up re-tread never-been.

Yeah, I could see where we should all want Matt Jones just as badly as Cosby. How could I have been so blind?

So he's a great punt returner,... Big whoop

Yeah, who needs pro-bowl level performers, I mean, why would any team want pro-bowl level performers?

it just so happens we have 3 more... Who IMO can do just as well if not better!

Wow, we 4 more guys who have performed special teams duties at a pro-bowl level in the NFL?

Awesome!

Uhm, who are they again?

Also, I assume your 'opinion' (ie 'IMO') is based on NFL performance rather than college performance, as we all know college performance does not always translate directly to the NFL. Please verify.

the way all of you would rather have him than matt jones

Hmm. Young Pro Bowl performer at half the salary versus coked up re-tread never-been.

Yeah, I could see where we should all want Matt Jones just as badly as Cosby. How could I have been so blind?

Did Cosby go to the pro-bowl last year? I dont remember that.

I really dont think Jones is in competition with Cosby. He is either going to beat out Simpson or the other way around. Briscoe may beat them both, but I think he ends up on the PS if injuries dont rear thier ugly head.

I really dont think Jones is in competition with Cosby.

That's because he's not. the 6th WR wouldn't be active on gamedays if he doesn't play STs... and Cosby happens to excel - not just in punt returning, but also in kickoff duties. tdlong is the culprit who brought up the Cosby/Jones debate - because he doesn't seem to understand that fact.

He is either going to beat out Simpson or the other way around. Briscoe may beat them both, but I think he ends up on the PS if injuries dont rear thier ugly head.

Agreed. :cheers: