Goodbye Big 12 !!!

Now this should provide some good conversation. I like the thought of both the PAC-10 and the Big Ten having Title games, but I just didn't expect it to come at the expense of another major conference. Here's the article:

The Big 12 appears to be dead.

A source close to the Nebraska Board of Regents told Orangebloods.com the regents informally agreed Wednesday to move to the Big Ten and that a formal announcement Nebraska is leaving will come Friday.

Sources close to Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech have suggested to Orangebloods.com over the last week that if Nebraska leaves, the Big 12 can't be saved.

Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds and president Williams Powers gathered UT coaches today at 2 p.m. CT to tell them they did everything they could to save the Big 12 but that they were unsuccessful.

Just as Orangebloods.com was first to report last Thursday, the Pac-10 will invite Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Colorado.

And it appears those invitations will be accepted.

According to sources, Colorado will also opt out of the Big 12 and accept an invitation to the Pac-10.

A legislative source with knowledge of Texas A&M said officials from A&M and Texas will meet on Thursday to discuss all the goings on and to make sure they are on the same page if the Big 12 falls apart.

According to sources, A&M and Oklahoma both have had conversations with the SEC. A&M's conversations with the SEC may have been to appease A&M regent Gene Stallings, who won a national title as coach at Alabama and would love to see the Aggies in the SEC.

But Orangebloods.com has learned Gov. Rick Perry, a diehard Aggie, will work to make sure Texas and Texas A&M stay together.

Other sources have said that Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will do whatever Texas and A&M are doing.

A source said Texas and Texas A&M remained steadfast in lobbying for the Big 12 to stay together until Nebraska's decision to leave became evident.

Sources said the six Big 12 schools would begin participating in the expanded Pac-10 beginning in 2012. That should make for an incredibly uncomfortable next two football and basketball seasons with the schools who could be left behind.

What remains to be seen is if there will be any schools left to collect the buyout penalties of $10 million for bolting the conference. You need a super majority of nine votes to dissolve the Big 12.

But with the Mountain West putting off its vote on Boise State on Monday, it's obvious there will be bidders for what's left of the Big 12.

Missouri, which sent its Big 12 brethren scrambling a year ago when its governor said he thought the Big Ten would be a good fit for the Tigers, still appears to be waiting for an invitation from the Big Ten, according to multiple sources.

An athletic director with knowledge of the Big Ten said, "Missouri is getting cold shoulder from Big Ten."

Joe Schad of ESPN reported Wednesday that the Big Ten list of interest for expansion goes like this: 1) Notre Dame 2) Nebraska 3) Rutgers and/or Maryland.

The deadline for the Big 12 to pledge allegiance to each other is Monday. With the conference seemingly coming apart, the question is if there will be a super majority of nine votes needed to dissolve the conference.

Nebraska's regents have a formal meeting in Lincoln on Friday. That's when it's expected an official announcement about Nebraska's departure will come. Although, news breaking could expedite that announcement.

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1092612

I think they would pull in Iowa State first in looking at an in state rivalry with Iowa to start. Another odd scenario shaping up is, where do Kansas and Kansas St. go to ?? They aren't invited to the PAC-10, there will be no more Big 12, the Mountain West doesn't seem to fit, and they more than likely won't go to the SEC. I suppose anything is possible (Colorado in the PAC-10), but it makes me wonder.

I find it odd that the Big 10 now seems content on not adding anyone else, per the last article I read. I really could see there being more added.

The best scenario from my viewpoint would be to do away with all conferences. Create 4 regions (North, South, East, West) and run 2 divisions within each region. Forego a Region championship game and simply take the top 2 teams from each division in each region (16 teams total) and run a playoff scenario to determine a National Championship.

Anyway around, I think this is really going to mess with the BCS and if nothing else, I'm good with that because the BCS SUCKS BALLS !!!

Anyway around, I think this is really going to mess with the BCS and if nothing else, I'm good with that because the BCS SUCKS BALLS !!!

Agreed... I really feel like iowa state doesnt bring anything major. Does the SEC raid the ACC now? With Maybe VT, Clemson, Miami, and FSU? Or Do they go Big East and try to steal away a WVU? What ever may happen it is going to have to take the death of the Big East for ND to join a conference.

The best scenario from my viewpoint would be to do away with all conferences. Create 4 regions (North, South, East, West) and run 2 divisions within each region. Forego a Region championship game and simply take the top 2 teams from each division in each region (16 teams total) and run a playoff scenario to determine a National Championship.

A nice thought, but it would NEVER happen because of the $$$ involved. Having a "Conference" helps make money for each school involved, through sharing of certain revenues from many sources. Probably the biggest being Broadcast rights. Conferences like Big 10 have their own cable/sattelite channels, and other conferences sell their broadcast rights to certain networks. It's a $$$ game.

Good idea though.

Thanks for joining in Pimp, I thought Griz and I were the only ones concerned there for a little while.

Anyway, I agree with it being a dollar thing, but could you imagine how much more interesting those games would be ?? The division games would mean so much more trying to get into one of the top 2 positions and the playoffs (to me) would increase interest 50 fold compared to watching the www.whogivesash*t.com bowl.

Yep, won't happen anytime soon, if ever, but it sure would be nice !!!

If the Pac-10 does expand to 16 teams, I think the Big 10 will further expand and the SEC will expand as well.

I talked about this with my brother and dad, and we all agreed that if the SEC did expand the two top targets would be Miami and Georgia Tech because of the markets they are in. If they went for an additional two teams, they would most likely be between West Virginia, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Virginia, Clemson, and Louisville.

These conferences are getting so big you might as well kiss regular season non-conference games goodbye. But, if a playoff system comes out of all of this, I am all for it.

Also, I really can't believe the Pac-10 aren't targeting Utah. They bring something to the table in football and basketball.

We were talking about that at work yesterday. How do you skip over Utah and invite Colorado to the PAC-10 ?? The Colorado president said he felt that Colorado matched up well athletically with the teams in the PAC-10. By that I'm guessing what he really meant was, we are going to get paid and will be more than happy to be their bitch from now on.

Thanks for joining in Pimp, I thought Griz and I were the only ones concerned there for a little while.

Anyway, I agree with it being a dollar thing, but could you imagine how much more interesting those games would be ?? The division games would mean so much more trying to get into one of the top 2 positions and the playoffs (to me) would increase interest 50 fold compared to watching the www.whogivesash*t.com bowl.

Yep, won't happen anytime soon, if ever, but it sure would be nice !!!

Yeah it would be nice.

This is exactly why we need a playoff system in college football. You have strong conferences like The Pac 10, Big 10, and SEC, then you add teams like Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Texas Tech and A&M, Colorado, Missouri etc. to those conferences, and it's going to be even more difficult for a team to go through a season undefeated in such strong divisions. I just don't want to see the Boise State's, Utah's, TCU's, BYU's in the National Championship games undefeated because they play in crap Conferences over a team with 1 or 2 losses in a very strong conference.

Originally, the thought was the entire Big 12 South was going to the PAC-10, minus Baylor for religious reasons. Now it seems, that may not be the case with some of those teams now considering the SEC or Big 10 as opposed to the PAC-10. There are many reasons for myself that I like these moves and many why I don't, but overall, IF it causes the BCS to go away and we finally get a playoff system to crown a true champ, then I'm for it.

I think it was mentioned before, but will repeat it. With such large conferences, you will never see out of conference games again. Heck, now there could be as many as 4+ teams within your own conference you don't play, even with no out of conference games. That seems strange to me.