It Is What It Is

HairOnFire

It's still Bratkowski...

And you're still defending Chad's absence even after you admitted he should be there.

Just saying...

I'm not defending his absence, like I said, I think he should be here.....but he's not...

There it is.

The chewy chocolate core of the matter.

There's no reason whatsoever to mention Bratkowski, or for that matter....no reason to wonder aloud why Palmer is calling Chad out. In fact, no reason to deflect or redirect things at all.

Chad should be there...but he's not.

Instead, he's off somewhere building Brand Ocho while everyone else who plays for the Bengals works with a common goal in mind.

Marvin doesn't think he should be there or he would have said NO.

The Coach...Chads boss said the absence was OK. He isn't holding out. He isn't disgruntled. He got this opportunity. Asked his boss for the leave and it was granted.

If Marvin is OK with it - then so am I. I think Marvin knows Chad better than all of us combined.

Its an excused absence. I know the reason is whack. But the boss ok'd it. If it is hurting the team then Marvin should have said NO. Then it would not be excused and then we could complain.

Yes - Chad is thinking about Chad right now. In an ideal world every single player should play 100% all the time.

But come on...This is the NFL. Not college. Name me one team that has every single person at all OTA activities. Its about cash money. Revis wants the $$ and $$ first. Its not about the love of football.

But I do know Chad loves football. He is a man-child. We all know how he is. He isnt going to change.

Maybe the anger should be directed at the coach.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I graduated from Air Force basic training today, and am currently enjoying a town pass in San Antonio. With family present, I don't have much time to read this thread and prepare a completely relevant response based upon the progression of this conversation. I feel compelled to say something though.I stopped at Burger King just to see the television inside, and much to my delight it was tuned in to ESPN and a big Bengals "B" was right there on the screen. Wonderful luck, I thought, that so soon upon my release into the world would I be able to catch a Bengals story. My pleasure was nearly immediately flattened however when I came to see that the story was nothing more than a dramatic he-said/she-said fit between Chad and Carson. I've been utterly deprived of my beloved Bengals for two months, and even still I couldn't make myself care.The title of this thread is perfectly fitting. It is what it is. How about that draft though? I like what I am seeing.

Congrats TDB.

Its not dramatic at all. Just nothing else to talk about. Which IMO is freaking awesome!!! Means all is well in Bengaldom

I graduated from Air Force basic training today, and am currently enjoying a town pass in San Antonio. With family present, I don't have much time to read this thread and prepare a completely relevant response based upon the progression of this conversation. I feel compelled to say something though.I stopped at Burger King just to see the television inside, and much to my delight it was tuned in to ESPN and a big Bengals "B" was right there on the screen. Wonderful luck, I thought, that so soon upon my release into the world would I be able to catch a Bengals story. My pleasure was nearly immediately flattened however when I came to see that the story was nothing more than a dramatic he-said/she-said fit between Chad and Carson. I've been utterly deprived of my beloved Bengals for two months, and even still I couldn't make myself care.The title of this thread is perfectly fitting. It is what it is. How about that draft though? I like what I am seeing.

Congrats on your completion of Basic Training TDB !!! If you have time while down there and enjoy real mexican food, go to Mi Tierra's downtown. It's one of the best Mexican restaurants in the country and that's not simply my opinion, but I agree with it. They are open 24 hours and would be a GREAT place to go to with your family. Great food, great prices, marachi's roving the place singing (6 bucks a song at your table), and is a great time.

Anyway, here's to your success continuing !!!

Naw

Marvin didn't tell Chad to stay away from OTAs

Marvin didn't make the decision to stay away from OTAs

C H A D made the decision to stay away from OTAs

C H A D is responsible for his own actions/inactions/decisions/indecisions

C H A D richly deserves the anger rightfully directed his way - not just from fans, but from his own hard-working teammates

(oh, and the 'Ray Lewis (etc) is doing it, why not Chad' argument is a major fail. Wrong is wrong, no matter how many players do the wrong thing.)

Obviously yours is.

I have no anger in this whole thing. I am extremely excited for this upcoming season and I am overly optimistic that we have a very strong core and a very focused team.

The health of this team both mentally and physically looks to be as good or better than every team in the NFL.

My season tickets are paid for and I cant wait for training camp, Aug 8th in Canton, Then on to the first preseason game at home.

Im ok with Lewis. Its just devils advocacy. If you are upset with Chad asking to be absent(no news flash that veterans dont really like practice- especially this early in the season)then you should also have an issue with the person that ok'd the absence. (chewy center of it)

I dont give football players the benefit of the doubt that they are very smart. Chad isnt getting rewarded any patents soon. I do however think that football coaches are very intelligent.

Marvin said OK. Im OK with it. 'In Marvin I Trust'(Except with clock management)

This is a tad more interesting than usual, because Carson is turning up the heat a bit. Would not expect anything to come of it, but it is interesting.

More interesting than usual?

Can I assume the usual refers to the now numbing daily grind that always awaits those who accept a grinning clown being the face of the franchise?

More interesting because it is actual news. As opposed to post after post over whether dancing is good cardiovascular or not.

Glad to hear Carson say it myself, since the front office seems fine with Chad's continued off-season tour of all things Chadian. But until the front office changes its mind on what it clearly views as Chad-being-Chad, then I will continue to simply pretend he doesn't exist in the off-season.

Which, in effect, he doesn't.

VH1 is whore-show central, and I havent heard any STD stories about people on Flavor of Love, Rock of Love, For the Love of Ray J, Love of 1-legged women,your momma,neighbor,sister,cousin,teacher, or the 200 other types of shows like that they air.

Pimp, you need to bone up on your knowledge of the inner workings of reality tv, because the Hollywood Reporter says it's a huge issue:

In a round-table discussion of reality show execs published yesterday in The Hollywood Reporter, SallyAnn Salsano, creator of “Jersey Shore,” says STDs are a constant concern.

“I do a full medical [for cast members] but I also do a lot of STD stuff,” she says.

“The network [VH1] requires me to do stuff with my patients that has no relevance to anything,” Dr. Drew Pinsky, the host of “Celebrity Rehab,” says.

“Like everyone on the set has to take [herpes medication] Valtrex,” he said.

“We hand it out like M&Ms!” Salsano said. ” ‘Hey kids, it’s time for Valtrex!’ It’s like a herpes nest. They’re all in there mixing it up.”

And she is still sensitive to criticism of the show, she admits.

“I got a lot of heat when ‘Jersey Shore’ came out,” Salsano told the group.

“But you know what? You can be as mad as you want.

“I was raised on Long Island, my dad is a sanitation worker, he drives a triple black Cadillac. Right now he’s sitting in his recliner chair with a Yankees symbol.

“Those are my people!”

Marvin doesn't think he should be there or he would have said NO...

The Coach...Chads boss said the absence was OK...

If Marvin is OK with it - then so am I....

Stop with this Marvin endorsed it bulls**t. Marvin's not OK with it. He's smart enough to know he doesn't have Chad contractually obligated to show up, so he wisely keeps his mouth shut.

But when his team leader starts complaining in the press, I'd guess Marvin smiles. Accountability to the team, as dictated by the team leader. Just about how good teams are run.

Stop with this Marvin endorsed it bulls**t. Marvin's not OK with it. He's smart enough to know he doesn't have Chad contractually obligated to show up, so he wisely keeps his mouth shut.

But when his team leader starts complaining in the press, I'd guess Marvin smiles. Accountability to the team, as dictated by the team leader. Just about how good teams are run.

So Marvin said it was OK because he didn't have a choice? Carson is the Boss? What does Coach do?

Carson complaining to the press is weak. What does it accomplish? PFT, ESPN articles. Bungle comments. Second hand communication with Chad.

Chad wasn't showing up regardless so Marvin decided to go the route of least resistance? Or does any of us know what the outcome would have been if Marvin said No?

Are we disputing whether or not Chad asked permission?

Im done with talking about Chad. Ill remove myself from Chad topics. Taking lead from TJ - I dont want new readers thinking that this forum is unnecessarily negative in a relatively good time in Bengals history.

I repeat myself about Marvin because if an issue is perceived then Marvin, Carson, Chad should take care of it. But the first inkling of anything going wrong its automatically Chads fault.

Marvin and Carson infallible? I dont think so, but everyone here is only prepared to go the easy route and blame Chad.

Maybe this makes it easier - The whole Ravens team missed the last week of OTAs. All 90 of their players.

Go USA!!!

Who Dey

VH1 is whore-show central, and I havent heard any STD stories about people on Flavor of Love, Rock of Love, For the Love of Ray J, Love of 1-legged women,your momma,neighbor,sister,cousin,teacher, or the 200 other types of shows like that they air.

Pimp, you need to bone up on your knowledge of the inner workings of reality tv, because the Hollywood Reporter says it's a huge issue:

In a round-table discussion of reality show execs published yesterday in The Hollywood Reporter, SallyAnn Salsano, creator of "Jersey Shore," says STDs are a constant concern.

"I do a full medical [for cast members] but I also do a lot of STD stuff," she says.

"The network [VH1] requires me to do stuff with my patients that has no relevance to anything," Dr. Drew Pinsky, the host of "Celebrity Rehab," says.

"Like everyone on the set has to take [herpes medication] Valtrex," he said.

"We hand it out like M&Ms!" Salsano said. " 'Hey kids, it's time for Valtrex!' It's like a herpes nest. They're all in there mixing it up."

And she is still sensitive to criticism of the show, she admits.

"I got a lot of heat when 'Jersey Shore' came out," Salsano told the group.

"But you know what? You can be as mad as you want.

"I was raised on Long Island, my dad is a sanitation worker, he drives a triple black Cadillac. Right now he's sitting in his recliner chair with a Yankees symbol.

"Those are my people!"

I hadn't heard that....Thanks!

I simply think it's silly if your going to take a side on this debate, to look at it and NOT find Chad to be in the wrong. I think most can acknowledge thinking Chad should be here and if that's the case for you, there isn't much more needing to be said.

People can talk about Marvin and some of his shortcomings as a coach. People can talk about Carson and him needing to improve with his over/under thrown balls. People can talk about how the organization is allowing all of this to happen. EVERY one of those are things that are certainly considered in all things Bengals right now.

However, the coaches and Carson have all been there working on what is going to happen with the passing game this season and Chad, the #1 WR and the person a bunch of this is suppose to hinge upon, hasn't bothered. Then goes so far as to say, Carson hasn't called me. What, after all these years in the league he needs to be reminded that making the team a winner is the most important thing ?? And the arguement about other players on other teams doing it, so it's ok, is preschool at best.

Don't get me wrong, I think he will be here when he has to, pick up the system in time, and overall I'm happy this is the only thing the teams has to deal with right now. My thought is, it's simply the wrong decision on his part when you have a team that appears very close to being able to go further into the playoffs and one of the biggest things they are working on is improving the terrible passing game from last season.

It's just a poor decision that is CHAD'S responsibility, regardless of who said it was or wasn't ok. He's responsible for his own actions.

So Marvin said it was OK because he didn't have a choice? Carson is the Boss? What does Coach do?

Carson complaining to the press is weak. What does it accomplish? PFT, ESPN articles. Bungle comments. Second hand communication with Chad.

Chad wasn't showing up regardless so Marvin decided to go the route of least resistance? Or does any of us know what the outcome would have been if Marvin said No?

Are we disputing whether or not Chad asked permission?

Im done with talking about Chad. Ill remove myself from Chad topics. Taking lead from TJ - I dont want new readers thinking that this forum is unnecessarily negative in a relatively good time in Bengals history.

I repeat myself about Marvin because if an issue is perceived then Marvin, Carson, Chad should take care of it. But the first inkling of anything going wrong its automatically Chads fault.

Marvin and Carson infallible? I dont think so, but everyone here is only prepared to go the easy route and blame Chad.

Maybe this makes it easier - The whole Ravens team missed the last week of OTAs. All 90 of their players.

Go USA!!!

Who Dey

Carson didn't run to the press and complain. He was asked a question and answered it honestly. Did you expect him to go all "next question" like Drew Rosenwhore?

Marvin hasn't said anything because he can't force Chad to be there. That doesn't equal approval.

You say everyone is taking the easy way blaming Chad. Is it someone else's fault he's not here? He is the one making the decision to not be here and learn the changes in the playbook.

I really don't think it's a big deal he's not here. The other receivers could use the extra work and I think Chad will be able to pick up everything fine before the season starts. That being said, your logic for defending Chad he is pathetic.

Perhaps it's the easy route because holding someone responsible for his own actions is, for most, the obvious route.

But the first inkling of anything going wrong its automatically Chads fault.

His actions....his responsibility. It's not complicated.

On the other hand, what point is served by a player making empty excuses for Chad? Why should that player act like Chad's decision to stay away had no consequences if you sincerely believe otherwise?

I simply think it's silly if your going to take a side on this debate, to look at it and NOT find Chad to be in the wrong. I think most can acknowledge thinking Chad should be here and if that's the case for you, there isn't much more needing to be said.

This.

My thought is, it's simply the wrong decision on his part when you have a team that appears very close to being able to go further into the playoffs and one of the biggest things they are working on is improving the terrible passing game from last season.

I just read Chad's twits about being 32 years old, his career winding down, and the coming season being his last chance to win a Super Bowl. Yet, knowing all of this to be true he ignores a chance to work on his craft by agreeing to play the fool on VH1's ManWhore?

IMHO he should just get it over and legally change his name to Chad Kardashian.

I have an honest question to ask.

Do you Bengal fans actually like this guy? It seems like when I do visit this site (rarely) there is always a Chad Johnson thread in the front with the most views with no football talk in it at all, just another, meh, i think you got it.

Sure he's got talent, but if this guy was on the Browns our fanbase I honestly don't think would put up with this. We destroyed Braylon for a few comments he made about Cleveland (than again to be fair, Johnson has out produced Braylon almost every year, and that counts.) If he does produce, and he will most likely, does this change the overall perception of the man? He's isn't some punk ass thug, but he's just a strange guy, he reminds me of a Owens clone. I don't think your fanbase has any idea how much this man hurts your overall perception, and that is kinda sad. Because when I think of the Bengals, I don't think of Paul Brown or Palmer, I instantly think of that pinhead.

Do you Bengal fans actually like this guy?

No.

Sure he's got talent, but if this guy was on the Browns our fanbase I honestly don't think would put up with this.

IMHO Brownie fans put up with the exact same s**t as fans from all other teams do, and if there's anything special about a Stain fan it rests soley on their ridiculous and delusional belief that they're somehow different from everyone else. Furthermore, not only would I support a trade of Chad, including within the division, I'd bet my last quarter that most Brownie fans would be accept Chad becoming a Brownie with very open arms and willing excuses.

I don't think your fanbase has any idea how much this man hurts your overall perception, and that is kinda sad.

I've been saying the above for years. But knowing something to be true is far different from being in a position to do something about it.

Because when I think of the Bengals, I don't think of Paul Brown or Palmer, I instantly think of that pinhead.

Yup. Because like it or not he's the face of the franchise....and as the Cleveland Browns prove...the only thing worse than having a douchebag as the face of your franchise is not having a face of the franchise at all.

Do you Bengal fans actually like this guy?

No.

Sure he's got talent, but if this guy was on the Browns our fanbase I honestly don't think would put up with this.

IMHO Brownie fans put up with the exact same s**t as fans from all other teams do, and if there's anything special about a Stain fan it rests soley on their ridiculous and delusional belief that they're somehow different from everyone else. Furthermore, not only would I support a trade of Chad, including within the division, I'd bet my last quarter that most Brownie fans would be accept Chad becoming a Brownie with very open arms and willing excuses.

I don't think your fanbase has any idea how much this man hurts your overall perception, and that is kinda sad.

I've been saying the above for years. But knowing something to be true is far different from being in a position to do something about it.

Because when I think of the Bengals, I don't think of Paul Brown or Palmer, I instantly think of that pinhead.

Yup. Because like it or not he's the face of the franchise....and as the Cleveland Browns prove...the only thing worse than having a douchebag as the face of your franchise is not having a face of the franchise at all.

Paul Brown. :sure: It's ok though, I know you have never won anything but to win the division to only get destroyed in your first playoff game. :cheers: s**t, at least we won back in the stone age. Winning is winning, don't forget that.

He only won about 12 championships. Plus, I would never call Jim Brown the face of our franchise. Woman beater, and just an overall punk ass. You shoulda seen what he would say with the role he just had with us recently, he thinks he is half god or something. See not everyone puts morons on a pedestal.

Paul Brown. :sure:

If Paul Brown is still the face of any franchise it's in Cincy where the local pro team is still owned and operated by his family and play in a stadium named....Paul Brown Stadium.

:cheers: s**t, at least we won back in the stone age.

Did your grandpa tell you all about it? Because it's a very good bet your dumbass wasn't even alive the last time any Cleveland team managed to refrain from s**tting it's own bed.

Winning is winning, don't forget that.

Fair enough. Then again, is it even possible for someone else to forget what you're too young to remember?

Posted on: June 15, 2010

The return of Ochocinco

CINCINNATI – As expected, Bengals WR Chad Ochocinco made his offseason debut Tuesday, and though he declared he was in tremendous shape, he didn’t get in much work during the first two practices of mini-camp.

Though Andy took my money quote ( in case you missed it, here it is: “I just need everybody to trust in me like birth control. I’m going to be there for you 99.9 percent of the time.” As an aside to the original aside, Jets CB Darrelle Revis could tell you about the other 0.1 percent of the time) , Ochocinco talked about why his teammates should trust him.

The question comes because Ochocinco missed voluntary workouts yet again – this year, he spent his time on ABC’s Dancing With the Stars and he’s currently filming a reality dating show for vh1.

“I could die and resurrect and handle my business,” Ochocinco told us after the morning practice. “In general, people need to trust when I’m not here. That should never, ever, ever, ever be a question. Ever. You already know how I am when I get here. You know what you’re getting. It’s the outside. My teammates know what time it is.

“I just want everybody to remember that nothing has changed. It seems there are always questions when I’m not here. But I’m still training and working out the same way. The same way I’ve done in the past years. I’m still hungry, and I have a love and passion for this game. Nothing’s changed.”

Except that he’s not in the same kind of shape he’d be in if he had attended OTAs with most of the rest of his teammates. That’s why he didn’t get much action in the practices today.

“We didn’t want to overdo it,” offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski said. “If he hasn’t been doing a lot of football stuff, you have to ease him back into it. You can tell he hasn’t done a lot of football. I think he’s in pretty good shape, but there’s a big difference in football where you’re running routes and sticking your foot in the ground and putting pressure on your joints. You can tell he hasn’t been doing a lot of route running.”

Once minicamp ends Thursday, Ochocinco said he’ll fly to Las Vegas and train in the boxing gym with Floyd Mayweather Jr. to further his preparation for the season.

“It’s the quickness, the hand-eye coordination,” Ochocinco said. “My feet aren’t going anywhere. The cardio that boxing gives me, especially working out with him, will shot me up there. I’ll come back in stupid shape.”

Maybe in good enough shape to run through an entire practice.

--Josh Katzowitz