Lakers vs Celtics

BengalPimp

I'm actually rooting for the Lakers. While I can admit to not following basketball as closely as football (I do still follow it) I simply don't like the appearance given by the Celtics of being arrogant. Rondo is an arrogant little cockroach. He maybe good, but everytime I see his face, I just want to plant a fist right in his suck hole.

The other person I root for is Phil Jackson. Great coach who I would love to see get another ring.

The debate of "who's better" I don't see as one between Kobe and LeBron. Kobe is the better player without much thought.

The better debate of "who's better" should be between Kobe and Jordan. There's a tough one for you...

Go Lakers...

I'm happy for Phil Jackson as well.

People make the argument that he's always had good players around him, but for a coach to be able to keep his players focused for a long season and be able to win as many titles as he has as a coach is a testament to what he brings to the table as a coach and motivator. I would like to see him go back to L.A. because I really think they will be right back there next year as well.

Yeah, Phil deserves a lot of credit. I don't really like the arguement some make that Phil has had great players. Great players don't always win Championships, but they apparently do with Phil. His players listen to and respect him. I honestly don't think we'll see another coach (in any sport) get 11 Championships in the future. Amazing really.

Yeah, Phil deserves a lot of credit. I don't really like the arguement some make that Phil has had great players. Great players don't always win Championships, but they apparently do with Phil. His players listen to and respect him. I honestly don't think we'll see another coach (in any sport) get 11 Championships in the future. Amazing really.

Phil Jackson has run out of fingers to wear all his rings! :lol:

I still think LeBron is the best player in the NBA and I don't think the margin is terribly close. Kobe could win three more rings for all I care, but if statistical disparity continues to distance them as it has been the last five or so years, my mind isn't going to change. I refuse to ignore all of the variables in play that have allowed for Bryant to achieve what he has achieved (along with his obvious immense worth as a basketball player).

I'd even be tempted to rank Wade second, though that gap has closed a bit recently.

I still think LeBron is the best player in the NBA and I don't think the margin is terribly close. Kobe could win three more rings for all I care, but if statistical disparity continues to distance them as it has been the last five or so years, my mind isn't going to change. I refuse to ignore all of the variables in play that have allowed for Bryant to achieve what he has achieved (along with his obvious immense worth as a basketball player).

I honestly don't know why I'm responding to this, as it is futile.....but......Call me when LeBron gets 5 Rings....hell, call me when he gets 1....Call me when he gets 2 NBA Finals MVP's, Or in 7 years when he's 32 like Kobe and if he's still putting up those kind of #'s, call me when LeBron drops 81 in a game.

You're comparing a 25yr old LeBron to a 32(in august) Kobe? Forget the fact that Lebron hasn't won a thing, forget the fact that they are at 2 different stages in their careers, forget the fact that they play 2 different positions.

LeBron is a great player no doubt, but he's only the 2nd best player in the league.

Trust me, I'm not worried about maintaining a reputation of basketball credibility on a football board. I already made it clear that I'm not interested in using rings to measure the worth of individuals, and you ought to know why since the logic is so bloody obvious. Why you bothered to make that ridiculous argument anyways is beyond me. Don't waste my time.

If you're looking for a sensible, intelligent argument against LeBron being the best player in the league, look into criticism that has been directed at him for his inconsistent off-ball defense. When he's manned up against the ball handler, LeBron is a brilliant defender, but he's rather pedestrian in many defensive sets away from the ball. Also, his offensive skillset, while immensely diverse, isn't well compatible with many NBA offensive schemes. An offense must be run through James for his skills to be maximized, effectively making him a SG, PG, and SF all at once. Thus, the other players on the floor slated to occupy those roles aren't capable of making the type of impact they could otherwise make without such a dominating force being present.

Still, the Cavaliers have done extremely well to manage the team in spite of that minor issue, as is clearly displayed by their regular season performances the last two seasons. While they probably weren't the best team in the NBA either year, they were certainly among them and in contention for a title. The Lakers were a better team than the Cavaliers, in all probability during both seasons. To allow oneself to equate such an assumption immediately with the Lakers' best player being better than the Cavaliers' best player is absolutely absurd and frankly worthless thinking.

I don't expect it to stop though. The same nonsense runs rampant all over sports discussion. Single players are awarded all the credit for the achievements of a collective.