Scottishbengal heading Stateside

Hi guys n gals - I'm looking at the possibility of making another trip over this season with my old travelling buddy Snakebite Jeff thumbsup3.gif

After a night out drinking last year in Minneapolis with Cardiac Cat my liver has just about returned to normal size and so I can now think about beer without feeling ill.

The tenative plan at the moment is into Cincy for the Ravens game and then drive down to Charlotte for the Panthers game then head home from there.

So the question I'm asking is what route would you recommend between Cincy and Charlotte. Where do you suggest is worth going (or worth avoiding) what is worth seeing/doing etc ???

Cheers

Probably the best route is to take I-75 south to I-40 east. That'll take you right to Charlotte from Cincinnati. Spend some time in Charlotte. It's a cool town. On that route, you'll have the fortune of passing through Asheville, NC which is a really cool town in the mountains. I recommend stopping in downtown Asheville and just exploring. Check out the Grove Arcade while you're there. Kind of an old shopping center with a lot of charm. That whole area is filled with great restaurants. Also the Biltmore estate is in the Asheville area. If you're unfamiliar, it's just a really large mansion. Here's a link to a picture of it:

/>http://patriotgetaways.com/images/biltmore002.jpg

When you're in Cincinnati, I recommend you skip some of the boring downtown spots (Cadillac Ranch, etc.) and go to these four places: Northside Tavern, Neon's Unplugged, Hap's Irish Pub (good place to watch rugby, soccer) and the Mongtomery Inn Boathouse.

Thank you - excellent (or ex-cellent as monty burns would say). Just the sort of info we're looking to put on our itinerary. Cheers.

Hi guys n gals - I'm looking at the possibility of making another trip over this season with my old travelling buddy Snakebite Jeff thumbsup3.gif

After a night out drinking last year in Minneapolis with Cardiac Cat my liver has just about returned to normal size and so I can now think about beer without feeling ill.

The tenative plan at the moment is into Cincy for the Ravens game and then drive down to Charlotte for the Panthers game then head home from there.

So the question I'm asking is what route would you recommend between Cincy and Charlotte. Where do you suggest is worth going (or worth avoiding) what is worth seeing/doing etc ???

Cheers

I'm heading over for the Ravens game as well mate, we'll need to hook up for a pint of Tennents!! :) I can also thoroughly recommend Haps.

Habits Cafe is a good place to start, or finish, a night. Good food, great beer selection. About 2 miles or so from Haps.

I love habits just down the street from my apartment. I really need to go to Haps too...

If you're in town for the Ravens game and you get here the day before on Saturday, you'll get to enjoy Oktoberfest here downtown Sept (18th-19th). You may need not go anywhere else.

Oh that's right! Yeah, if it's Oktoberfest weekend just do that. It's the second largest in the world behind Munich.

Perhaps we should have an international gathering of Bengals fans the weekend of the Ravens game then

cheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gif

northside tavern is a fun place, but go to CHRISTY'S in clifton (near the university campus and 5 minutes from the stadium). i bartend there and i'll ensure your drunkenness and funnnenness.

You're coming on the right weekend. Bengals in town against a rival, beautiful late summer weather, Oktoberfest, thousands of drunk locals swarming the streets...

If you're looking to book a room. Look into the Garfield Suites in downtown Cincinnati. $99 a night gets you a suite that can room up to 4. It comes with a kitchen, living room, etc.

You can stumble right outside, onto the street and into the festival/tailgating.

No double bedrooms left at the Garfield Suites mad.gif so I've booked in at the Millennium.

It's got mixed reviews on internet travel sites but I've stayed there several times before (when it was a Starwood hotel and Four Points by Sheraton) - never had any cause for complaint. Perhaps the new management (Copthorne) have let standards drop I just don't know, but the location is good and very handy for the stadium and the downtown bars.thumbsup3.gif

Does anyone know when tickets for the games will be on sale? End of July????

Hey buddy I've almost healed up myself, the Minny tour was a blast! I'm thoroughly disappointed not to be able to join you boys this year especially with the way the team is shaping up, but I promiss you that I W-I-L-L N-O-T miss next year. I hope you and Snakebite Jeff have a great tour!:cheers:

No double bedrooms left at the Garfield Suites mad.gif so I've booked in at the Millennium.

It's got mixed reviews on internet travel sites but I've stayed there several times before (when it was a Starwood hotel and Four Points by Sheraton) - never had any cause for complaint. Perhaps the new management (Copthorne) have let standards drop I just don't know, but the location is good and very handy for the stadium and the downtown bars.thumbsup3.gif

Does anyone know when tickets for the games will be on sale? End of July????

Hey buddy I've almost healed up myself, the Minny tour was a blast! I'm thoroughly disappointed not to be able to join you boys this year especially with the way the team is shaping up, but I promiss you that I W-I-L-L N-O-T miss next year. I hope you and Snakebite Jeff have a great tour!cheers.gif

Cheers Don - lets hope the fixture list for 2011 is a kind one and gives us an opportunity to get together again for a game.

Hope you & Rich enjoy the boat - you must be expecting a fair bit of global warming to make that sort of investment in Saskatchewan - at least the Frenchies on the east coast will bite the bullet first though, eh? biggrin.gif

Uh, yeah, that's probably my fault :lol:. I'm getting married that weekend downtown. We've got about 15 rooms at the Garfield tied up with out-of-towners coming in.

Friday: Wedding and reception.

Saturday: Oktoberfest

Sunday: Me and the Mrs. are going to watch the game.

Also, there's a Scottish pub downtown called Nicholson's. Don't know if you've ever heard of it, but it's got good food, drinks, etc.

I'm still pissed I couldn't get up for the Vikings game with you guys, but before this year is out, I will be a permanent fixture in Cincinnati and I plan on actually meeting some of you retards. I'm a little pissed though, as my last day at work is the Friday AFTER the Monday Night game against the Steelers. Oh well, there will be more to follow !!!

northside tavern is a fun place, but go to CHRISTY'S in clifton (near the university campus and 5 minutes from the stadium). i bartend there and i'll ensure your drunkenness and funnnenness.

I live on Ohio Avenue. I'll have to stop in there sometime.

Uh, yeah, that's probably my fault laugh.gif. I'm getting married that weekend downtown. We've got about 15 rooms at the Garfield tied up with out-of-towners coming in.

Also, there's a Scottish pub downtown called Nicholson's. Don't know if you've ever heard of it, but it's got good food, drinks, etc.

Seeing as it's your fault I reckon there should be a Stag Night!!!

We get into town on Thursday night and although we'd have been travelling for about +24hrs we would still put in a show for a beer session! cheers.gif

Uh, yeah, that's probably my fault laugh.gif. I'm getting married that weekend downtown. We've got about 15 rooms at the Garfield tied up with out-of-towners coming in.

Seeing as it's your fault I reckon there should be a Stag Night!!!

We get into town on Thursday night and although we'd have been travelling for about +24hrs we would still put in a show for a beer session! cheers.gif

If we run into you, we'll definately have a beer or two!

My friends are hard to miss, they'll be wearing viking helmets, kilts, lederhosen, etc. in celebration of my wedding and Oktoberfest. They're a little weird, but the military will do that to you.

I live on Ohio Avenue. I'll have to stop in there sometime.

If you live on Ohio Ave, there's no reason you shouldn't be at Christy's every weekend. Great place to go in the summertime.

• 4 weeks later...

Thats us all booked and sorted. biggrin.gif

Into Cincy for the weekend of the Ravens game, down to Charlotte on the monday, visit my nephew in Louisburg, drive the blue ridge parkway, end up in Charlotte the weekend of the game @ the panthers. thumbsup3.gif.

Then home and straight back to work ohmy.gif

Look forward to meeting up with some of you guys and chugging a beer or two cheers.gif

Thats us all booked and sorted. biggrin.gif

Into Cincy for the weekend of the Ravens game, down to Charlotte on the monday, visit my nephew in Louisburg, drive the blue ridge parkway, end up in Charlotte the weekend of the game @ the panthers. thumbsup3.gif.

Then home and straight back to work ohmy.gif

Look forward to meeting up with some of you guys and chugging a beer or two cheers.gif

If you have a week to get to Charlotte for the next game and plan to drive interesting roads in the mountains,

another short but spectacular route like the Blue Ridge Parkway that is not too far off the Cin - Charlotte route

is the Tail of the Dragon.

It runs through Smoky Mountain National Park south of Knoxville into North Carolina.

Very popular for motorcycles, sports cars too.

F1's Michel Schumacher shipped his motorcycle to the US

so he could ride that route after one of the September US Indy F1 races early in the decade.