Chad has lost the hunger

walzav29

The only time I've been anti-Chad was after the 07 season when he went on his "Gotta get out of Cincy tour". I never minded the dances, celebrations etc... But it occured to me the other day when I seen him on Dancing with the Stars. Revis COMPLETELY shut him down in back to back games. Humiliated him, and he spends the offseason dancing. I never cared before because he produced on the field, but he will get some opportunities for reality shows and whatever. People do like him. I just hoped he would feel he had to work harder to keep up with the elite. Every player gets old and at least he's set something else up for himself after the game is done with him.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least he is doing something that will keep him in shape this offseason. His stamina and agility should actually be increased, if he has continued to do the boxing and the dance training.

He is using and stretching muscles that he has never used, that cant be a bad thing. He has also indicated that he will be at the Bengals facility earlier than the last couple of seasons.

I just dont see a lack of "hunger" from him, yet this offseason.

Feels weird to be defending Chad for Dancing!!

At least he is doing something that will keep him in shape this offseason. His stamina and agility should actually be increased, if he has continued to do the boxing and the dance training.

He is using and stretching muscles that he has never used, that cant be a bad thing. He has also indicated that he will be at the Bengals facility earlier than the last couple of seasons.

After seeing Revis humiliate him I was hoping he'd go to Russia and train in the offseason. Run the mountains, chop some wood.

After seeing Revis humiliate him I was hoping he'd go to Russia and train in the offseason. Run the mountains, chop some wood.

lmfao,.. that dude shut everybody down,.... EVERYBODY

Simply put, Chad is focusing on life after football.

He's viewed himself as an entertainer, rather than a football player, for several years....yet having no real talent of a traditional nature dictates what he can do to entertain.

Thus, he races horses, runs naked through the woods, and dances the mambo with the likes of a childless Kate Gosselin. And there's the rub because Chad and Kate are stars of equal stature.

Such as it is.

Meanwhile, Carson Daly's star is fading. They finally s**tcanned 24. And that beer commercial I just watched has a beer bottle and a bundle of wheat dancing to soaring vocals that remind me of a Nickleback song. A song whose name I can't remember.

This is the new face of mediocrity.

Revis COMPLETELY shut him down in back to back games. Humiliated him, and he spends the offseason dancing.

First, I'm pretty sure that he's working his ass off - we're not talking about him playing Playstation all day long. Offseason cross-training is generally recommended for athletes. Second, the season ain't for another 4 months. I don't think it's a problem.

The issue here is really a symbolic one rather than a practical one - fans want to feel like he's doing nothing other than prepare for the season. Fans don't want to see him do anything else, because it seems like he could be using that time for football. But realistically, what's he supposed to do now to atone for last year? How much film can he watch? Do we expect the man to simply not have any sort of life outside football? Put simply, what exactly should he be doing now that he's not?

Frankly, Revis shut him down not just because he's one of (if not the) best CB in the game - Revis shut Chad down because the Bengals had exactly 0 other receivers worth a damn down the stretch, so they could essentially focus on Chad. That situation should not repeat itself this year.

Revis COMPLETELY shut him down in back to back games. Humiliated him, and he spends the offseason dancing.

First, I'm pretty sure that he's working his ass off - we're not talking about him playing Playstation all day long. Offseason cross-training is generally recommended for athletes. Second, the season ain't for another 4 months. I don't think it's a problem.

The issue here is really a symbolic one rather than a practical one - fans want to feel like he's doing nothing other than prepare for the season. Fans don't want to see him do anything else, because it seems like he could be using that time for football. But realistically, what's he supposed to do now to atone for last year? How much film can he watch? Do we expect the man to simply not have any sort of life outside football? Put simply, what exactly should he be doing now that he's not?

Frankly, Revis shut him down not just because he's one of (if not the) best CB in the game - Revis shut Chad down because the Bengals had exactly 0 other receivers worth a damn down the stretch, so they could essentially focus on Chad. That situation should not repeat itself this year.

No one really knows what chad is doing all day. From following him on twitter, it seems like he gets up and lifts from 6-8, dances from 8:30-7pm, watches film until midnight, then plays call of duty until he falls asleep. It doesn't seem like he sleeps much and certainly doesn't seem to be losing any fire. He's constantly saying things like "can't wait for the season, can't wait to get back to cincy" etc. It always amazes me how bengal fans, or maybe NFL fans in general, take little snippits of information and are suddenly experts -- like the people who bashed zimmer for not drafting a safety. Chad's going to be great this year.

I felt compelled to respond here:

I think Chad will be fine to be quite honest with you and that isn't because I have some new found love for him either, because I still think he's a complete douche. To somehow say he's "lost the hunger" based on his performance against Revis is just not looking at the whole picture. Revis shut down everyone last year, but here's the question being forgotten.

Who else was there to be covered on the Bengals WR corps when we played the Jets back to back at the end of the season ??

Answer- NO ONE. The only person that needed taken out of the equation WAS Chad and the passing game was done. Easy with Revis heading up that chore.

Bottomline is the 2009 Bengals WR corps was absolute garbage and after Henry's vertical threat was lost, they were pretty much done. You don't need to look any further than the offseason to see how the organization felt about the position. Matt Jones, Antonio Bryant, Jordan Shipley, Dezmon Briscoe, and even Chris Davis for Christ's sake. FIVE more WR's were brought into the mix to help the situation and it's just those moves that make me feel comfortable with what Chad will do this coming season.

I think the additions will force teams to account for someone other than Chad and even Gresham can be added to the mix of consideration when it comes to the pass catchers. Couple that new found consideration with a continued strong running game with Benson and an o-line that will have another year in the system together and I have less worries.

Blame Chad if anyone so desires, but I simply think there was more to it than him last season.

Go Chad ??

No one really knows what chad is doing all day. From following him on twitter, it seems like he gets up and lifts from 6-8, dances from 8:30-7pm, watches film until midnight, then plays call of duty until he falls asleep. It doesn't seem like he sleeps much and certainly doesn't seem to be losing any fire. He's constantly saying things like "can't wait for the season, can't wait to get back to cincy" etc. It always amazes me how bengal fans, or maybe NFL fans in general, take little snippits of information and are suddenly experts -- like the people who bashed zimmer for not drafting a safety. Chad's going to be great this year.

I agree

Like the people who bashed zimmer for not drafting a safety.

Sorry this is what stood out in your post to me, but I don't recall anyone bashing Zimmer for not drafting a safety.

That all falls on Mike Brown and maybe Marvin as they are the decision makers and MB more than Marvin.

Yeah, I still bash them...

To somehow say he's "lost the hunger" based on his performance against Revis is just not looking at the whole picture.

Exactly.

Because when you look at the whole picture you quickly conclude Chad wasn't anything special all season, right?

Granted, he didn't tank the season like he had one year earlier, and it was good to see the guy laughing and trying again instead of sulking, but Chad's numbers were as good as they were only because the entire passing game is forced his way.

Chad's rate of dropped passes was almost identical to Coles, who quickly earned a reputation for poor hands. And Chad produced more penalties than any other WR ranked in the top 20. Actually, four times as often as his next closest rival, and eight times more than the highest ranked. The Bengals acknowledge the problem but wave it off by admitting how Chad often attempts to defeat coverages pre-snap. But worst of all, Palmer's interception rate is 8 times greater when throwing to Chad. Finally, most teams don't need to shut Chad down, just control and negate him with a bracketed double team that takes away the sideline outs.

Add it all up and you get just about what you'd expect to find when looking at the 14th Ranked WR in the NFL.

The new face of mediocrity.

Grinning, of course.

To somehow say he's "lost the hunger" based on his performance against Revis is just not looking at the whole picture.

Exactly.

Because when you look at the whole picture you quickly conclude Chad wasn't anything special all season, right?

Granted, he didn't tank the season like he had one year earlier, and it was good to see the guy laughing and trying again instead of sulking, but Chad's numbers were as good as they were only because the entire passing game is forced his way.

Chad's rate of dropped passes was almost identical to Coles, who quickly earned a reputation for poor hands. And Chad produced more penalties than any other WR ranked in the top 20. Actually, four times as often as his next closest rival, and eight times more than the highest ranked. The Bengals acknowledge the problem but wave it off by admitting how Chad often attempts to defeat coverages pre-snap. But worst of all, Palmer's interception rate is 8 times greater when throwing to Chad. Finally, most teams don't need to shut Chad down, just control and negate him with a bracketed double team that takes away the sideline outs.

Add it all up and you get just about what you'd expect to find when looking at the 14th Ranked WR in the NFL.

Grinning, of course.

I think you're right. This is likely Chad's last year with the team. Isn't that why the Bengals are bringing in all these receivers? Maybe Simpson will step up...he has the skills.

Exactly.

Grinning, of course.

I think you're right. This is likely Chad's last year with the team. Isn't that why the Bengals are bringing in all these receivers? Maybe Simpson will step up...he has the skills.

I will be suprised if Simpson steps up, but i sure hope he does. He seemed to be doing ok during OTAs but i guess time will tell.

Chad's numbers were as good as they were only because the entire passing game is forced his way.

That works both ways though, as you allude to later - the lack of alternatives also lets defenses shut Chad down by bracketing him, hurting his ability to get open. I'm hard pressed to think of a WR who *can't* be shut down that way, which leaves us with the obvious conclusion we already knew: to solve the problem, get receivers that punish the DBs for doubling Chad. Allegedly we now have those, so problem solved.

Chad's rate of dropped passes was almost identical to Coles, who quickly earned a reputation for poor hands.

Degree of difficulty must be considered there - many of Coles' drops had him facing Carson and dropping balls right in his hands. He also did most of the damage early, so there was a bad first impression effect.

And Chad produced more penalties...Chad often attempts to defeat coverages pre-snap.

That's the most worrisome part to me, because it smells like an aging hitter who tries to get around on fastballs by swinging early - sign of Chad losing speed?

But worst of all, Palmer's interception rate is 8 times greater when throwing to Chad.

That also might be a product of Carson throwing almost exclusively to Chad in desperation situations, since he was the only halfway decent WR they had. That'll amp up the INT totals. Not sure one can blame either Chad or Carson, but the lack of serviceable receivers that has (hopefully) been addressed.

In other words, I'm concerned about Chad's potential for 2010, but I still think that with decent help that he can still be dangerous.

lmfao,.. that dude shut everybody down,.... EVERYBODY

Everybody !!!!

Exactly.

Grinning, of course.

I think you're right. This is likely Chad's last year with the team. Isn't that why the Bengals are bringing in all these receivers?

While Chad is planning for life after football, I'm contemplating life after Chad... and for the first time I'm optimistic.

Palmer has been gushing about Bryant and Matt Jones, the coaches have been gushing about Briscoe, I've been gushing about Shipley, and based on last season, Caldwell and Cosby both deserve not only a roster spot, but time on the field... not to mention they've drafted two of the best pass catching TEs in recent memory in back to back drafts.

Back when the Redskins offered to trade for Chad, Cincy had no viable WR depth, and it was a weak WR class in the draft. Now, however, the Bengals have the best corps of WR from 1-6 that I can remember... and Chad is at the tail end of a long term contract. If he's not done with the Bengals after this season, he will be in 2012.

I say now is the time to trade him. It won't happen, but it makes nothing but sense. Whoever the Bengals cut will likely get playing time on another team. Instead of getting nothing from an NFL quality player, trade Chad and keep a younger kid.

Exactly.

Grinning, of course.

I think you're right. This is likely Chad's last year with the team. Isn't that why the Bengals are bringing in all these receivers?

While Chad is planning for life after football, I'm contemplating life after Chad... and for the first time I'm optimistic.

Palmer has been gushing about Bryant and Matt Jones, the coaches have been gushing about Briscoe, I've been gushing about Shipley, and based on last season, Caldwell and Cosby both deserve not only a roster spot, but time on the field... not to mention they've drafted two of the best pass catching TEs in recent memory in back to back drafts.

Back when the Redskins offered to trade for Chad, Cincy had no viable WR depth, and it was a weak WR class in the draft. Now, however, the Bengals have the best corps of WR from 1-6 that I can remember... and Chad is at the tail end of a long term contract. If he's not done with the Bengals after this season, he will be in 2012.

I say now is the time to trade him. It won't happen, but it makes nothing but sense. Whoever the Bengals cut will likely get playing time on another team. Instead of getting nothing from an NFL quality player, trade Chad and keep a younger kid.

So uh,.. You still think matt jones won't make the squad?.. :)

Exactly.

Grinning, of course.

So uh,.. You still think matt jones won't make the squad?.. :)

Yeah. With Chad, Bryant, Caldwell, and Shipley, I just don't see him getting on the field. That's why I brought up the Chad trade scenario. If they want to keep Jones around, it seems like they are going to have to cut someone good.

OK, I just want to make sure I got all the latest down:

1. Chad has "lost the hunger" 'cause he's on DWTS.

2. Marvin is gone next year 'cause Mikey wont let anyone coach longer than Paul.

3. Carson Palmer is an injury-riddled has-been.

Miss anything? :lol:

August cant get here fast enough...

OK, I just want to make sure I got all the latest down:

1. Chad has "lost the hunger" 'cause he's on DWTS.

2. Marvin is gone next year 'cause Mikey wont let anyone coach longer than Paul.

3. Carson Palmer is an injury-riddled has-been.

Miss anything? :lol:

August cant get here fast enough...

Well, there's the one where Mikey's cornering the market on former first-round picks with bitch titties.

Exactly.

Well, you kind of took that in another direction with what I was commenting on, but in that regard, you won't find me disagreeing with you either. I will say that even though the passing game was forced to Chad and opposing defenses knowing where it was going, he still managed to put up another 1000 yard receiving season with 9 TD's at 14.5 per catch. While I won't go all in with calling that special, I won't discredit the season he had either.

The point to my post was simply that the additions this team made will certainly go a long way to Chad having a better 2010 and I think the thought of him losing hunger is just a bit overstated with the reasoning given. All that said, I still don't care for Chad and my only hope for him is that he helps this team win and I'm not at the point that thinks he can't do that.