A pact with the Pacman

mgi

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/12786/cincinnati-working-out-pacman-again

The possibility of Adam "Pacman" Jones joining the Cincinnati Bengals continues to gain steam.

According to ESPN.com senior writer John Clayton, the Bengals have brought in the embattled cornerback for another workout Tuesday. This is the second time in three months Cincinnati is showing interest in Jones, who also worked out for the Bengals in February.

Inviting Jones back is a telling sign that the Bengals are considering another controversial acquisition. It wouldn't be a major shock, because this has the look of another vintage Mike Brown signing. Cincinnati's owner is infamous for taking on players with baggage while getting them at a bargain-basement rate.

The Bengals may need help at cornerback behind starters Leon Hall and Johnathan Joseph if rookie third-round pick Brandon Ghee isn't ready.

There are more proven commodities and less troubled names available such as Dre' Bly, Ken Lucas and Fred Smoot. But the Bengals, as usual, seem to have their sights set on the much cheaper and more risky option in Jones, whose off-field troubles have made more headlines in recent years than his on-field performance.

What do you think?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/>http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/12786/cincinnati-working-out-pacman-again

The possibility of Adam "Pacman" Jones joining the Cincinnati Bengals continues to gain steam.

According to ESPN.com senior writer John Clayton, the Bengals have brought in the embattled cornerback for another workout Tuesday. This is the second time in three months Cincinnati is showing interest in Jones, who also worked out for the Bengals in February.

Inviting Jones back is a telling sign that the Bengals are considering another controversial acquisition. It wouldn't be a major shock, because this has the look of another vintage Mike Brown signing. Cincinnati's owner is infamous for taking on players with baggage while getting them at a bargain-basement rate.

The Bengals may need help at cornerback behind starters Leon Hall and Johnathan Joseph if rookie third-round pick Brandon Ghee isn't ready.

There are more proven commodities and less troubled names available such as Dre' Bly, Ken Lucas and Fred Smoot. But the Bengals, as usual, seem to have their sights set on the much cheaper and more risky option in Jones, whose off-field troubles have made more headlines in recent years than his on-field performance.

What do you think?

Maybe another CB/S hybrid,.. And it'd allow all our guys like caldwell shipley and scott to just see field time,..

I think there is more interest in Adam Jones than ML was letting on. It seems like the Bengals just can't help sniffing around a guy with talent. Pacman must still have something left, although with his reputation no one seems able to focus on that. Just my opinion, but this seems to have Mike Zimmer's fingerprints all over it. Now, I trust Zimmer's football judgment, so if he thinks Adam Jones might help this team I can't argue with the conclusion. But Zimmer is not concerned about the PR blowback that would certainly be fierce if Jones were signed to any kind oif contract.As for me, I am not too thrilled at all about having Adam Jones in tiger stripes, but if they do sign him, I certainly hope he is worth the trouble and will be pulling for him to succeed.

In the Bengals.com article about it, they also indicated that we're taking a look at Gibril Wilson.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Report-Bengals-work-out-Pacman-again/181c9278-4be9-4f15-b12d-13e637af8742

Put me in the "no thanks" camp. I'm as much of a bargain bin diver as the next guy, but I tend to think Jones is (a) very likely to get suspended again, and (B) not as good as he was once (which, IMO, was not as good as he was supposed to be anyway and was never worth the hassle).

Edit: Stupid automatic smiley face -- it's supposed to be a b.

Chances are if they brought him in for a 2nd look that they'll either sign him or send him away forever today so Florio's report does make sense

Although I trust Marvin and Coach Zimmer when it comes to players. I'm not all that thrilled about this move. It really has nothing to do with PR side of it for me. I just think don't think the guy is that good of a football player. If we sign him - I hope he does well and I hope for his sake - that he can take full advantage of this apparent opportunity that is about to bestowed upon him.

If I'm remembering correctly, word was this guy wasn't even in football shape when he was last worked out. I'd be OK offering him a vet-minimum non-guaranteed contract if he had a high upside, but I don't know that he does.

I knew that hitting the Ced Benson lottery was, in a way, a bad thing. On the heels of that success, Mikey's been further emboldened to sign every 1st-round dirtbag bust he can find.

I can't wait until Mikey's penchant for signing draft busts and dirtbags combines with his love of switching guys to nonstandard positions. As your starting DT in 2011, I give you...

...Jamarcus Russell!

If he's remotely in shape, and can get near where he was, the corner depth just went to a real plus. Also might give them the latitude to move Trent to Safety, with Ghee as the 4th corner and moves David Jones to praying to make the team.

Sure, why not?

If the Jets can sign the fertile Cromartie and deal for S. Holmes, why can't the Bengals take this kind of swing? What I like about it, if its true, is that they are clearly going for it now. Which I can get behind and support.

Sure, why not?

Why? Because you put yourself in the position of relying on a player who has evidenced no ability to stay on the field because he's a moron. I'd want to see a helluva workout for him to be worth the risk. If he's just a mediocre player, why not get a mediocre player who isn't a dips**t?

I don't think he has the upside you think he does, anymore.

The moment this signing actually happens I will symbolically set fire to a pee-soaked mattress.

So the pee-soaked mattrress is Symbolic of?

Just wondering.....

It's a WVU thing.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tNcvSsqZlU&feature=related

A few thoughts before more posts like this come up. . .

First off, it's May people. It's not like the season starts tomorrow. We know JJoe and Leon have our corners secure, so this adds serious competition to the nickel spot as well as PR/KR. If he signs league minimum, which I think Reedy suggested was the case earlier today, we have added a solid CB into the fight. Having legit "who's it gonna be" competition will only do good things for the team. If Zimmer thought this dude would be a problem or negatively affect the defense in any way, there's just no way this would be happening.