Bengals searching for veteran TE?

Kazkal

Well, remember, the Bengals operate on a budget, and TE is never a big line item. Heck, if they take Gresham he may be the only TE they can afford to keep on the roster.

What's Foschi gonna make, $700k a year? Am I underestimating his value on the open market? Am I underestimating Mike Brown's cheapness? Don't answer that queston.

Well, except for Coats who they can file under FB for accounting purposes.

If they bring back Coats I'll be an alcoholic by Week 3.

Not at all. Brat has been saying for years he wants to run more two-TE sets and that the TE was supposed to be a big part of the revamped playbook, but injuries to Utecht and Kelly kept deep-sixing the plans. There's plenty of room for Chase and a rookie.

OK, but how many? My statement was predicated on their being smart enough to bring Foschi back, and assuming the Redeemer can't cut Reggie. Do you think there's room for Foschi, Reggie, Chase, and Gresham? If not, Foschi's the odd man out - they seem as if they're not even trying to keep him - and we're where we started with 3 TEs who didn't play last year. Gulp.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever the deal is with Coats, there must be something he's bringing to the table that Foschi isn't. Otherwise, why would the coaching staff be so stubborn about it?

Better blocker then Foschi is the only thing,But obvious they felt Foschi was the better all around Tight End otherwise they wouldn't have benched Coats...But With Coffman being in the Grand scheme of things and "maybe" adding another pass catching threat via draft they wanted to go with the better blocker vs the better tight end...

Coats was the better all around TE in practice... but for some reason became such a liability when it came to gametime that the coaches were forced to bench him. But the amount of time it took them to finally bench Coats should be proof enough that Foschi doesn't offer much.

I dunno If I had take guess Hayes just has a chub for coats,all in all still would feel alot happier if we found upgrades heh.

What's Foschi gonna make, $700k a year? Am I underestimating his value on the open market? Am I underestimating Mike Brown's cheapness? Don't answer that queston.

Pretty sure he was trying to be funny even though they payed utecht 3-4 million a year.

Whatever the deal is with Coats, there must be something he's bringing to the table that Foschi isn't. Otherwise, why would the coaching staff be so stubborn about it?

Better blocker then Foschi is the only thing,But obvious they felt Foschi was the better all around Tight End otherwise they wouldn't have benched Coats...But With Coffman being in the Grand scheme of things and "maybe" adding another pass catching threat via draft they wanted to go with the better blocker vs the better tight end...

Coats was the better all around TE in practice... but for some reason became such a liability when it came to gametime that the coaches were forced to bench him. But the amount of time it took them to finally bench Coats should be proof enough that Foschi doesn't offer much.

The guy came to our team with kolo kapuana in our 2nd or 3rd preseason game man... He didnt know the offense i'm sure... and as soon as he knew enough to start he did... ps... Why dont we bring kolo back he has big strong and caught that td in preseason...?

I highly doubt Coats gave anyone a chubby. But my point is that Foschi didn't move my member in the slightest either. Foschi wasn't good enough to be on an NFL roster until the Bengals lost both of their starters. And I'm guessing the Bengals have every intention of bringing in better TE's that the scrap heap that was forced upon them last year.

This Foschi business is a huge non-issue to me. In fact, I'd have a problem if they did bring him back, simply because it would be evidence that the Bengals don't intend to improve upon the weakest position on the team.

Foschi wasn't good enough to be on an NFL roster until the Bengals lost both of their starters.

Neither was our starting MLB as of 2 years ago, if I recall. All I know is what I saw in games. Foschi produced. He wasn't Tony Gonzalez, sure, but don't you want *one* TE on the roster who isn't a question mark?

Interesting that you bring up Dhani Jones, because while he's been serviceable, I'd love to get a real SSLB so Rey can make him a back-up.

And I'm the one who brought up the idea that we might have 3 TEs in the roster who didn't play football last year... but yeah. I'd feel a lot better about that group than one that has Foschi on it.

I highly doubt Coats gave anyone a chubby. But my point is that Foschi didn't move my member in the slightest either. Foschi wasn't good enough to be on an NFL roster until the Bengals lost both of their starters. And I'm guessing the Bengals have every intention of bringing in better TE's that the scrap heap that was forced upon them last year.

This Foschi business is a huge non-issue to me. In fact, I'd have a problem if they did bring him back, simply because it would be evidence that the Bengals don't intend to improve upon the weakest position on the team.

Good enough to take Coats starting spot but that ain't saying much because Coats was a dad man walking before injurys kicked in...Well I do think Foschi is a amazing I think he makes for solid 3# someone who won't cost you a game if you have put him in here and there...Coats on the other hand I do feel like he can cost us a game >_< anyways no more coats hate for me until mini camp starts...fingers are just crossed we haVe 2 or 3 more Tight Ends on the team by Sunday.

Interesting that you bring up Dhani Jones, because while he's been serviceable, I'd love to get a real SSLB so Rey can make him a back-up.

Ya I wonder if they'll go after a standard SLB or a Hybrid like they wanted Pollack for,Or maybe hes alrdy on roster ;) MJ did drop in to coverage alot last year and was all over the field.

Ya I wonder if they'll go after a standard SLB or a Hybrid like they wanted Pollack for,Or maybe hes alrdy on roster ;) MJ did drop in to coverage alot last year and was all over the field.

I very much doubt this would happen... but I'm warming greatly to drafting Sergio Kindle. He has more natural talent than Pollack ever had, and could easily end up being elite... not to mention that Rivers, Maualuga, and Kindle would be ridiculous. But also greedy, and ultimately why I don't expect it to happen.

I very much doubt this would happen... but I'm warming greatly to drafting Sergio Kindle. He has more natural talent than Pollack ever had, and could easily end up being elite... not to mention that Rivers, Maualuga, and Kindle would be ridiculous. But also greedy, and ultimately why I don't expect it to happen.

Ya and hes alrdy served the roll so it's not like its a position change,Sergio is my 2# Non Taylor mays pick...(Dont count Earl & Dez because IMO they'll be long gone)...Also think more chance Bengals would actually go after him because he could see plenty time on the field on 3rd downs with MJ.

This.

And I'm the one who brought up the idea that we might have 3 TEs in the roster who didn't play football last year... but yeah. I'd feel a lot better about that group than one that has Foschi on it.

And likewise, I'm not talking about Foschi as incumbent starter, but a capable insurance policy. Otherwise, as you know, we're looking at a situation where it might become clear in August that they have nobody capable and ready to start at TE, if Reggie's not back to speed (highly likely), Chase busts (highly likely), and Gresham, if picked, holds out until September (nearly guaranteed).

If they can sign him cheap I would, and keep him into camp until they find out that either Reggie or Chase is ready to play. Since Gresham - if picked - probably holds out anyway, it could work out.

And likewise, I'm not talking about Foschi as incumbent starter, but a capable insurance policy. Otherwise, as you know, we're looking at a situation where it might become clear in August that they have nobody capable and ready to start at TE, if Reggie's not back to speed (highly likely), Chase busts (highly likely), and Gresham, if picked, holds out until September (nearly guaranteed).

If they can sign him cheap I would, and keep him into camp until they find out that either Reggie or Chase is ready to play. Since Gresham - if picked - probably holds out anyway, it could work out.

Meh. I don't think Chase being considered a bust is "highly likely" and while Reggie being back to his old self might not be probable... he'll still be better than Foschi. And I'm betting that anyone they draft in the first 6 rounds will have more talent than Foschi does.

To top it off, I can name 4 unrestricted free agents off the top of my head (which means there are probably close to a dozen more) that I would sign before I felt the need to resort to a Foschi insurance plan.

All of that to say, if the Bengals aren't showing him "love" it's because there isn't much there to love. They don't want him back unless 2009 repeats itself. Foschi as the Bengals TE is like Chad as a placekicker. Just because he performed adequately in a tight spot doesn't mean he's a viable option.

I think that's the situation we find ourselves in more than not, in that we get something that "works" and are happy as hell that it works. Then when the conversation comes up about "getting better", it turns to, "why fix it when we have something that works ??". That is how I view the TE spot right now.

We have the possibility to bring back Kelly who has worked and people want Foschi back because he has worked. Coffman could work, but people are ready to throw him to the wayside. Coats hasn't worked in any capacity in my opinion and I don't think sh*t of him on our roster, but that's just me.

I agree with the thought of drafting a TE to improve what we have on the roster and why we aren't looking further into Foschi. If we bring back Kelly, I really think we are looking at Kelly, Coffman, and the drafted TE, where Coats is an afterthought. If we don't bring back Kelly, I could still envision where Coats doesn't make this team, but that would only be if the coaches felt comfortable enough with the blocking ability of whatever TE they draft.

I just want to see the TE position addressed, as it's definitely one of the top areas to fix.

Meh. I don't think Chase being considered a bust is "highly likely"

If that's the case, then I wouldn't spend a 1st on TE. However, considering Chase seemed unfamiliar with the concept of blocking on Hard Knocks, and seeing as how he didn't exactly pick it up fast enough to play at all, I'm worried on that front. Do we have any proof that he's even close to being ready?

and while Reggie being back to his old self might not be probable... he'll still be better than Foschi.

No proof of that. Old guys rehabbing Achilles injuries don't always play out well. QBs can get away with it because they don't have to move. Others...

To top it off, I can name 4 unrestricted free agents off the top of my head (which means there are probably close to a dozen more) that I would sign before I felt the need to resort to a Foschi insurance plan.

Then I'd sign one sooner than later so he has time to learn the offense. That's the train I see a-comin' - Reggie is toast, Coffman learns that he was never meant to play TE, possible draft pick holds out, and they go looking for a starter in September. That's all I want to see no later than the beginning of camp - somebody who is healthy, has demonstrated ability playing TE, and will know the system by Week 1. I figure if Foschi is as good as the existing waiver wire crud and knows the system, that's better than a similar guy who doesn't.

Who are your 4 UFAs, incidentally? Don't say Daniel Coats, I may become homicidal.

Firstly, the 4 TEs off the top of my head are Randy McMichael, L.J. Smith, Steve Heiden, and of course Reggie Kelly.

Secondly, most of what seemed to plague Coffman in his blocking on Hard Knocks was his hesitance, not his ability. He was a bit unfamiliar with what the Bengals wanted him to do. I think he'll mature as he is known for being a hard worker. I remember just before he was placed on IR, a few players in the lockerroom commented that they didn't know why he wasn't playing, because his blocking looked good to them in practice. Turns out he wasn't healthy enough to play.

Thirdly, I don't want a 1st round TE... because that means Gresham. But the fact that I don't believe Coffman will be a bust doesn't mean the Bengals are set at the position. He was a 3rd round pick for Christ's sake. They need to plan for the future, and having two highly capable TEs would certainly be something to be desired. My desire is for McCoy in the 3rd round, as I think he and Coffman would compliment each other nicely.

But yeah, my desire would be Kelly, Coffman, and McCoy. No Foschi please. He may not be garbage... but he's certainly scrap heap material, and the Bengals need to do better.

But yeah, my desire would be Kelly, Coffman, and McCoy. No Foschi please. He may not be garbage... but he's certainly scrap heap material, and the Bengals need to do better.

That'd be ideal if Kelly's able to contribute. Otherwise, your collective NFL experience at the position is 0 snaps.

Yeah. And...?

Eric Ghiaciuc has a lot of NFL snaps. Let's bring him back.

That'd be ideal if Kelly's able to contribute. Otherwise, your collective NFL experience at the position is 0 snaps.

THAT'S WHY WE NEED DANIEL COA....laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif Damn, almost made it through that sentence without falling over laughing.

Amazing how quickly people forget the Bengals had no intention of Coffman being an impact player last year. They started camp with a healthy Kelly and Utecht, as well as having Coats returning. They knew Coffman was coming off a big injury and would need time to adjust to what they were asking of him, knowing he was a pass catching threat coming out of college. For anyone to guage what they have seen to this point to say he's going to be awesome or sh*tty not being realistic. Give him at least one healthy season and go from there.

I think that's exactly what they are going to do and I can only hope he provides more this year. I simply don't see how he doesn't present a better option than most of what you are looking at this year in the draft. If nothing else, he has a year in the system and certainly has the skills to be what they thought they were getting when they paid Utecht all that money.

I agree

This is in essence Coffman's rookie year as far as I am concerned, albeit I have high expectations relative to other rookies simply because he has had - err, an extended training camp, shall we say.

He should know all the systems, plays, reads, terminology, and suchlike, and ergo should be ahead of other rookies

I think the Bengals drafted Coffman KNOWING that he had to bulk up, learn to block in a proset and seperate better..

They knew this ...

They drafted him because they saw a kid that can run and has soft hands and a good judgement for the ball...

He'll be okay....Kelly or Coats will block and the team will draft a mid round TE to compete...

I think the Bengals drafted Coffman KNOWING that he had to bulk up, learn to block in a proset and seperate better..

They knew this ...

They drafted him because they saw a kid that can run and has soft hands and a good judgement for the ball...

He'll be okay....Kelly or Coats will block and the team will draft a mid round TE to compete...

Any honest evaluation of the kid has to acknowledge that he's a little behind where he was projected to be at this point. I think they expected/hoped he'd at least be able to take some snaps last year.