Bengals searching for veteran TE?

Kazkal

Hmm,.. welp. idk. I'd like somebody, reggie would be nice... Honestly i want as many bodies in camp. CCC, coffman, regg, darius hill, and a rookie and maybe one other guy let emfight it out, earn a spot. And bing! we got a nice looking (and hard working) squad!

I've never been a fan of that approach so much. You bring 12 crappy guys to camp, you end up with crap. Reggie would be fine if he can return to form but I doubt it. Certainly they need to find out if Coffman can play. Bottom line is they still need to replace TJ's underneath catches, and they're no closer to doing that than the day he signed with the Seabirds.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i can understand mcdaniels not liking backtalk,.. And is his blocking really THAT bad?.. I know he was the pass catcher for yall but hey the guy is a mediocre blocker imo, and well tbh i think he's a better version of jp foschi (and i like foschi)

Yes, his blocking really is that bad. The Broncos spent a 2nd round pick on TE Richard Quinn in last year's draft to get some more blocking on short yardage and goal line packages.

Well i can understand mcdaniels not liking backtalk,.. And is his blocking really THAT bad?.. I know he was the pass catcher for yall but hey the guy is a mediocre blocker imo, and well tbh i think he's a better version of jp foschi (and i like foschi)

Yes, his blocking really is that bad. The Broncos spent a 2nd round pick on TE Richard Quinn in last year's draft to get some more blocking on short yardage and goal line packages.

well then i will take your word 4 it. thanks man

Why did we draft Coffman again? Anyone?

Tight End to Develop,He's only one guy and a 3rd round comp on that, Doesn't hurt to add you know another good player.

Teams with way better Tight Ends then us are being talked about taking one in rnds 1-3....Cause you know it helps to have more then one hehe .

Why did we draft Coffman again? Anyone?

Tight End to Develop,He's only one guy and a 3rd round comp on that, Doesn't hurt to add you know another good player.

Teams with way better Tight Ends then us are being talked about taking one in rnds 1-3....Cause you know it helps to have more then one hehe .

I hope you're right. What I can't understand is the Bengals adamant long standing view that a TE HAS to block very well. If so, why did we take Coffman?

I would guess they thought they were going to have a healthy Kelly last year and this year, giving them enough time to address that need, but that's changed a bit. For anyone to look at Coffman as a bust at this point is stupid. We got out of him exactly what most (including the coaches) thought we were going to get out of him, because with a healthy Kelly and Utecht (at the time) they could use that comp pick to develop Coffman and let him heal up. Injuries changed that, but it didn't change anything in regards to Coffman.

That dude lit it up bigtime in college, so how about we all give it a healthy season huh ?? When the season is over and he sucked, bash away...

He ended his college career with 240 receptions, 2659 yards, and 30 TD's, with 10.8 yards per catch.

Hell his senior season alone he caught 90 for 987 yards and 10 TD's.

If people want to complain about not having a blocking TE, fine, but we have out pass catching TE already on the roster.

Hell, we have two if you look at what Darius Hill did while in college as well.

After reviewing all of that, I'm now in the "No to Scheffler" club...

Well you still better be drinking Gronk Juice ;)

I won't have any issues with him as long as there is a guarantee that he doesn't have spinal stenosis.

If he does, I want nothing to do with him.

Seriously though, there are at least 3 different TE's I really wouldn't have much problem with if the Bengals drafted them...

Hmm,.. welp. idk. I'd like somebody, reggie would be nice... Honestly i want as many bodies in camp. CCC, coffman, regg, darius hill, and a rookie and maybe one other guy let emfight it out, earn a spot. And bing! we got a nice looking (and hard working) squad!

I've never been a fan of that approach so much. You bring 12 crappy guys to camp, you end up with crap. Reggie would be fine if he can return to form but I doubt it. Certainly they need to find out if Coffman can play. Bottom line is they still need to replace TJ's underneath catches, and they're no closer to doing that than the day he signed with the Seabirds.

Totally agree, and it's looking like another major Bengal blunder to have let TJ go, don't care what anyone says. All of a sudden Palmer is "mediocre" when TJ leaves...coincidence? The Bengals' shouldn't have low-balled him.

Any ways, I'm onboard with a dynamic TE or big WR with big upside as a major need, along with an upgrade at LG, if the offense wants to be good enough to return to the playoffs.

And that assumes Andre Smith is the real deal and provides an upgrade at RT next year...something I'm not real sure about.

Totally agree, and it's looking like another major Bengal blunder to have let TJ go, don't care what anyone says. All of a sudden Palmer is "mediocre" when TJ leaves...coincidence? The Bengals' shouldn't have low-balled him.

Any ways, I'm onboard with a dynamic TE or big WR with big upside as a major need, along with an upgrade at LG, if the offense wants to be good enough to return to the playoffs.

And that assumes Andre Smith is the real deal and provides an upgrade at RT next year...something I'm not real sure about.

I like the attitude we got rid of in TJ, I don't like the production that we lost.

I would guess they thought they were going to have a healthy Kelly last year and this year, giving them enough time to address that need, but that's changed a bit. For anyone to look at Coffman as a bust at this point is stupid. We got out of him exactly what most (including the coaches) thought we were going to get out of him, because with a healthy Kelly and Utecht (at the time) they could use that comp pick to develop Coffman and let him heal up. Injuries changed that, but it didn't change anything in regards to Coffman.

That dude lit it up bigtime in college, so how about we all give it a healthy season huh ?? When the season is over and he sucked, bash away...

He ended his college career with 240 receptions, 2659 yards, and 30 TD's, with 10.8 yards per catch.

Hell his senior season alone he caught 90 for 987 yards and 10 TD's.

If people want to complain about not having a blocking TE, fine, but we have out pass catching TE already on the roster.

Hell, we have two if you look at what Darius Hill did while in college as well.

I don't think Coffman is a bust. I think he has potential. What I wonder is if Brat can utilize him. If not, why did we draft him if his skills don't fit into our scheme?

I won't have any issues with him as long as there is a guarantee that he doesn't have spinal stenosis.

Ya That turn me off him as well early,Maybe a shot at him in the 4th but not 2nd...But there really been anything on him having SPinal Stenosis since it was first mentioned so maybe a team trying drive down his stock?

Just with teams collecting medical reports you'd think it would be known about if he really had it.

Well you still better be drinking Gronk Juice wink.gif

I'm with you, IMO he's permanently damaged goods. I doubt he plays out his rookie contract (maybe 4 years or so). Bad Back = Done ! Why waste a 2nd Rd pick?

Coffman was more of a hybrid TE/WR in that spread offense.....His numbers were inflated because of that.

I hope he works out, but my big fear is that he posts decent numbers like 40-50 Rec 450-500 yards, and that will make people turn a blind eye to all the times he gets beat off the edge by a blitzing LB or other player he should have picked up the block on. People like players like Scheffler or Olsen because all they see is stats in their fantasy league...They don't see the problems caused by their poor blocking....Obviously their own Coaches do. Just my thoughts.

Another major Bengal blunder to have let TJ go, don't care what anyone says.

You don't have to care what anyone here says, but the set of words that matter the most were TJ's. That dude wasn't coming back to the Bengals regardless and the money was hardly that much of a difference. If he wanted to be in Cincinnati, he would have been.

I like the attitude we got rid of in TJ, I don't like the production that we lost.

THIS, I agree with wholeheartedly. F*CK TJ, but it sucked losing that production...

What I wonder is if Brat can utilize him. If not, why did we draft him if his skills don't fit into our scheme?

Many people wonder that, but I can only attempt to find peace in the fact the Bengals have been making attempts to shore up the TE spot for at least the past couple years and from all accounts of the offensive playbook getting revamped, I can only hope that includes finding a way to exploit mismatches from the TE position. We can hope can't we ??

THIS, I agree with wholeheartedly. F*CK TJ, but it sucked losing that production...

I don't know man, I feel like that's a little extreme. I know that he's made some s**tty comments about the organization since he left, but I think that a lot of that may have been him feeling as if if he was disrespected and undervalued during his time here. Am I defending his comments? Hell no. But as nuts as he could be at times, he also was the heart and soul of this team for awhile. He was emotional and s**t from time to time, but you take the good with the bad.

I don't know man, I feel like that's a little extreme. I know that he's made some s**tty comments about the organization since he left, but I think that a lot of that may have been him feeling as if if he was disrespected and undervalued during his time here. Am I defending his comments? Hell no. But as nuts as he could be at times, he also was the heart and soul of this team for awhile. He was emotional and s**t from time to time, but you take the good with the bad.

Yeah thats how i feel,.. i think he just had enogh... And made a mistake of leaving right when we were doing good... I miss tj alot (and yea he is being quite a dbag lately tho)

I had a whole rant of TJ put together and my computer sh*t, so I will simply say, the Bengals took a chance on a 7th rounder (when many here thought he should be cut), surrounded him with talent and a true #1 WR, offered him almost equal money to stay, and he talked sh*t out the door. He didn't live up to anything he ran his mouth about (pro-bowl, playoffs) in Seattle, and now he feels like he made a mistake.

BOO F*CKING HOO TJ !!!

I had a whole rant of TJ put together and my computer sh*t, so I will simply say, the Bengals took a chance on a 7th rounder (when many here thought he should be cut), surrounded him with talent and a true #1 WR, offered him almost equal money to stay, and he talked sh*t out the door. He didn't live up to anything he ran his mouth about (pro-bowl, playoffs) in Seattle, and now he feels like he made a mistake.

BOO F*CKING HOO TJ !!!

100% agree- he was close to getting cut because he was a 7th rounder and couldnt get healthy.He took the same money we offered but he was upset at the Bengals intial offers. Boohoo TJ - Its called negotiation...grow a pair.

I dont forgive quickly those that talk ish about my team when they are out the door.

Dillon

Boomer

TJ

see ya - dont let the door hit ya..i smile when i see the 3 reception and 27 yard games.

BOO F*CKING HOO TJ !!!

Boohoo TJ - Its called negotiation...grow a pair.

If that's the case, I don't think it's unreasonable for him to be offended by the organization he came up with low-balling him. Negotiation or not, I think it says something about an organization stepping up financially for guys like T.J. or even Fanene.

BOO F*CKING HOO TJ !!!

Boohoo TJ - Its called negotiation...grow a pair.

If that's the case, I don't think it's unreasonable for him to be offended by the organization he came up with low-balling him. Negotiation or not, I think it says something about an organization stepping up financially for guys like T.J. or even Fanene.

Ok, lets end all the "low ball" crap already. TJ has already come out and said the offer the Bengals had on the table was more than comparable to what he actually took in Seattle. He was sick of the crap here in Cincinnati and for that I don't blame him, but that was HIS issue to deal with how he felt he needed to deal with it. He made a poor decision and now, after talking sh*t about the team I love like no other, he wants people to listen to him. I have no time for that. Heck, the offer the Vikings had was reportedly more than what he took in Seattle (see Cincinnati's offer) but he wanted to be closer to his home and his family. Bottomline is, TJ wasn't coming back here regardless and while I can wholeheartedly admit I miss his production, I don't for one minute miss TJ, the person. F*ck that dude.

BOO F*CKING HOO TJ !!!

Yea Army, that's a summation that clears the air and gets to the heart of the matter.

I miss the TJ I was deluded into believing existed. Once he left, I discovered that the real TJ wasn't the same guy I thought he was all along. He was a clever little instigator, letting Chad be the all too willing face for a lot of the underhanded team-destroying bulls**t he was pulling.

I have a sense that Matt Jones might be able to make a real impact. The more i think of the things that TJ used to do, and the way TE's are often employed, I am more and more intrigued by what Jones offers.

1. A big, short yardage target, and bad mismatch for defenses.

2. A tall red-zone target. Climb the ladder and get the ball.

3. Also could be an interesting wildcat option. I have to believe the guy can still throw. He could do for the Bengals what Brad Smith does for NYJ.

I think the prejudice that Jones would be cut, before exploring his applicability in the above is silly.

Simply as a matter of diverifying this offense, he has quite a few uses that I can see... and they are all valuable.