Bengals searching for veteran TE?

Kazkal

If the Bengals add Tony Scheffler before the draft that would make me happy and more likely be far better then the TE we get in the 3rd...

Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis held his pre-draft news conference Friday. Usually, not much comes from these gatherings, but Lewis offered at least one interesting nugget.

Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer quotes Lewis saying the Bengals may add a veteran tight end before next week's NFL draft. Although Lewis didn't mention anyone by name, the first players that come to mind are Greg Olsen of the Chicago Bears and Tony Scheffler of the Denver Broncos. (Reedy agrees with Scheffler.)

There's been plenty of speculation involving both tight ends. Olsen has a new offensive coordinator in Mike Martz, who traditionally doesn't throw to the tight end, while Scheffler appears on the outs in Denver and signed his tender this week.

"I think some of it could be addressed prior to the draft, but I do feel we are where we are and we don't need to panic in any way," Lewis said of his tight ends Friday.

The Bengals also are looking at various tight ends in the NFL draft, including top prospects Jermaine Gresham and Aaron Hernandez. But the possibility of signing a proven commodity is certainly intriguing and could potentially erase one need from their draft board

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

please get scheffler, and ginnnnnnnnnnnn

Why would the 49ers give up a 5th for ginn just to turn him around and trade him to us for a lower pick in the 5th ;)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! damn thats what i get for not having internet all day lmao

We aren't getting either Scheffler OR Olsen for a 5th rounder. It will take at least a third I would imagine and I actually wouldn't have any issue with that because we have 2 third rounders and both Olsen and Scheffler present better, more experienced options than what will be there in the 3rd round. Not that I care all that much, but Olsen said he wanted to stay in Chicago. However, that doesn't mean a lot of anything in the grand scheme of things and I would think the Bears would love to get another 3rd rounder that would allow them to move up into the 2nd round and grab a safety like Nate Allen.

We aren't getting either Scheffler OR Olsen for a 5th rounder. It will take at least a third I would imagine and I actually wouldn't have any issue with that because we have 2 third rounders and both Olsen and Scheffler present better, more experienced options than what will be there in the 3rd round. Not that I care all that much, but Olsen said he wanted to stay in Chicago. However, that doesn't mean a lot of anything in the grand scheme of things and I would think the Bears would love to get another 3rd rounder that would allow them to move up into the 2nd round and grab a safety like Nate Allen.

Yeah i'd really like to only give up a 4th... But i mean a 3rd is definately manageable... I wouldnt really mind. A 4th would make me really happy. I love having 2 third rounders

Yeah i'd really like to only give up a 4th... But i mean a 3rd is definately manageable... I wouldnt really mind. A 4th would make me really happy. I love having 2 third rounders

I love having two 3rd rounders as well and think we still will when it's all said and done. However, giving up our first 3rd round pick for an NFL proven TE would allow for much more flexibilty with out first three picks. Not to mention if they find someone that slips into the 3rd round, it's not as costly to move back up from the 4th and we have more than one comp pick. Once again, though, I really don't expect anything to happen with this.

I actually think the Bengals are loving all the talk about is taking Gresham in the 1st. Go ahead and lock us onto someone I would have no issue with another team taking when they jump us in the draft. That would be a nice change of pace for the Bengals.

I love having two 3rd rounders as well and think we still will when it's all said and done. However, giving up our first 3rd round pick for an NFL proven TE would allow for much more flexibilty with out first three picks. Not to mention if they find someone that slips into the 3rd round, it's not as costly to move back up from the 4th and we have more than one comp pick. Once again, though, I really don't expect anything to happen with this.

I actually think the Bengals are loving all the talk about is taking Gresham in the 1st. Go ahead and lock us onto someone I would have no issue with another team taking when they jump us in the draft. That would be a nice change of pace for the Bengals.

I honestly don't think we'll give any picks away either,.. I'd love to get tony, but we dont really do it often and listening to marvin he really likes having 4 picks in the 1st 96... But hey God forbid mike brown makes a move that'd make us fans happy

If you watch the video... You can see where he says it might be a possibility to adreess the need before the draft... And then he and a reporter have a little chuckle... But it seems thyre close to doing something. Whether it be signing kelly etc...

If we can get him to sign an extension before the season starts, I am all for Scheffler. I'm not interested in Olsen, and I don't know that much about Bennett, other than Jerry Jones criticizing him for not stepping up.

The only way I see this happening is with an extension in place when they make a trade, and I don't see much chance of that happening. I'd say they are only focused on getting our own guys locked up considering Benson, Joseph, Cook, Livings, Brandon Johnson, and Mathis are all free agents after this season.

jerry jones is still a d-bag he's not giving up bennettt

I seem to remember there being a fall out Because Bennett wants a larger role and thought he was being under utilized with the Cowboys...But Jerry will probably want a 2nd + more and I could see Chi town wanting atleast a 2nd...I think Scheffler will be the best bang for the buck since Broncos simply want to move him so won't have to give up as much.

never thought for a 5th ;) was thinking 3rd hence why I said better then any 3rd round TE we could get ^_^

McDaniels: Bengals haven’t called yet

Posted by jreedy April 16th, 2010, 6:16 pm

During his pre-draft press conference on Friday, Denver coach Josh McDaniels said that the Broncos have not heard from the Bengals about acquiring Tony Scheffler.

It doesn’t mean it won’t happen but it hasn’t happened yet.

That means that re-signing Reggie Kelly or J.P. Foschi would be more of a possibility to what Bengals coach Marvin Lewis was referring to earlier in the day.

“I think some of it could be addressed prior to the draft but I do feel we are where we are and we don’t need to panic in any way,” Lewis said earlier in the day. “We feel good about the three young guys we have on our roster (Dan Coats, Chase Coffman, Darius Hill).”

The most likely scenario would be re-signing Kelly, who will be entering his 12th season, but missed last season due to Achilles surgery. Foschi, who was signed by the team midway through training camp, started 10 games last year.

McDaniels has said there is no timetable on moving Scheffler but with no love loss between Scheffler and McDaniels, it is obvious the Bengals would like to move him before the draft.

If the Bengals would draft a tight end in the first round, like Oklahoma’s Jermaine Gresham and Arizona’s Rob Gronkowski, it would mark only the second time in team history joining Mike Cobb in 1977.

Maybe their just waiting to do it ;) during the draft so they can use it for smokescreen rnds 1 & 2 :P then once the 2nd pick is made they swing a deal with denver.....it could happen just not very likely heh.

I heard the rumors about Scheffler going to the Bengals also. I can tell you guys that McDaniels adressed it in his press conference today. He said that teams have called about Scheffler, but the Broncos have not talked to the Bengals. If they do talk, I can tell you that the Broncos would love to get a 3rd for him, and might even take a 4th. Scheffler doesn't fit in Denver for 3 reasons:

1. He was suspended for the last game of the season after being overheard by one of the coaches on the sideline of the previous game. He made a comment about how he couldn't wait for the season to be over.

2. He has been unhappy since Cutler was traded, and made a comment or 2 about it when it originally happened.

3. He's a terrible blocker. He has great hands and great speed for a TE, but he's completely one dimensional, and the Broncos offense just doesn't allow for that.

That's my 2 cents. Good luck in the draft.

He's a terrible blocker. He has great hands and great speed for a TE, but he's completely one dimensional, and the Broncos offense just doesn't allow for that.

This is just one more reason that I highly doubt the Bengals are pursuing Scheffler. If the Bengals are looking for a guy to play WR from the TE position, they have Coffman. If they are looking for veteran leadership, Reggie Kelly will come cheap.

I will be really surprised if the Bengals trade any picks away for a TE. There are plenty of decent TEs in this draft, and if by chance the guys they like don't fall to them, there are a handful of unrestricted free agents to be had as stop-gap solutions... and for those who follow the Bengals closely, you know that's how they play the game.

He's a terrible blocker. He has great hands and great speed for a TE, but he's completely one dimensional, and the Broncos offense just doesn't allow for that.

This is just one more reason that I highly doubt the Bengals are pursuing Scheffler. If the Bengals are looking for a guy to play WR from the TE position, they have Coffman. If they are looking for veteran leadership, Reggie Kelly will come cheap.

I will be really surprised if the Bengals trade any picks away for a TE. There are plenty of decent TEs in this draft, and if by chance the guys they like don't fall to them, there are a handful of unrestricted free agents to be had as stop-gap solutions... and for those who follow the Bengals closely, you know that's how they play the game.

Well if you look at the TE's bengals have Shown interest in a majority of them aren't blockers

Jermaine Gresham(Requested medical Reports)

Aaron Hernandez (Requested medical Reports)

Dorin Dickerson(Requested medical reports suprised since I doubt he'll be a TE in the NFL

Dennis Pita(Had a visit with the team.

Rob Gronkowski (Hayes ran the drills at his pro day)

Though Maybe it's smoke screens because theres this to from joe reedy

The Bengals told USC's Anthony McCoy that they are looking for a do-it-all tight end that can block as well as stretch the field.

It's a species the Marvin Lewis era Bengals have never seen. Oklahoma's Jermaine Gresham and Florida's Aaron Hernandez have blocking concerns, so the Bengals may lean toward McCoy or Arizona's Rob Gronkowski on the second day of the draft

Well if you look at the TE's bengals have Shown interest in a majority of them aren't blockers

Jermaine Gresham(Requested medical Reports)

Aaron Hernandez (Requested medical Reports)

Dorin Dickerson(Requested medical reports suprised since I doubt he'll be a TE in the NFL

Dennis Pita(Had a visit with the team.

Rob Gronkowski (Hayes ran the drills at his pro day)

Though Maybe it's smoke screens because theres this to from joe reedy

The Bengals told USC's Anthony McCoy that they are looking for a do-it-all tight end that can block as well as stretch the field.

It's a species the Marvin Lewis era Bengals have never seen. Oklahoma's Jermaine Gresham and Florida's Aaron Hernandez have blocking concerns, so the Bengals may lean toward McCoy or Arizona's Rob Gronkowski on the second day of the draft

Hmm,.. welp. idk. I'd like somebody, reggie would be nice... Honestly i want as many bodies in camp. CCC, coffman, regg, darius hill, and a rookie and maybe one other guy let emfight it out, earn a spot. And bing! we got a nice looking (and hard working) squad!

I heard the rumors about Scheffler going to the Bengals also. I can tell you guys that McDaniels adressed it in his press conference today. He said that teams have called about Scheffler, but the Broncos have not talked to the Bengals. If they do talk, I can tell you that the Broncos would love to get a 3rd for him, and might even take a 4th. Scheffler doesn't fit in Denver for 3 reasons:

1. He was suspended for the last game of the season after being overheard by one of the coaches on the sideline of the previous game. He made a comment about how he couldn't wait for the season to be over.

2. He has been unhappy since Cutler was traded, and made a comment or 2 about it when it originally happened.

3. He's a terrible blocker. He has great hands and great speed for a TE, but he's completely one dimensional, and the Broncos offense just doesn't allow for that.

That's my 2 cents. Good luck in the draft.

Well i can understand mcdaniels not liking backtalk,.. And is his blocking really THAT bad?.. I know he was the pass catcher for yall but hey the guy is a mediocre blocker imo, and well tbh i think he's a better version of jp foschi (and i like foschi)

Well I really like Idea of getting Gronkowski or Mccoy in the draft,Gronk is a solid Blocker well still being quite a receiving threat Mccoy being a Great blocker but still a good receiving threat...

Mccoy would probably be the best player to replace Kelly because not only are you getting a good blocker but a better receiving threat then Reggie ever was....But I still want Gronk in the 2nd mmmm Gronk Juice it tastes so good ^_^